Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    148

    Water break in on 12t

    After killing 4 12T motors over the past few weeks I was wondering if I should do the water break in method.

    My LHS told me he does not like it because the water break in is more for racers. He said that if not done correctly the motor will rust out and be destroyed. He suggested taking the motor and with fans blow the motor and ESC and run it on a medium speed for 5 minutes forward and 5 minutes back and thats it.

    He also said he does not like to spray motor spray in the holes in the motors because the oil spray gets on the electric contacts and can cause arching.

    My feeling is that being that I killed a few motors maybe it is time to do the water break in. If I do that. Let me get the prcedure right.

    I read the following

    Hook up motor to ESC. Turn steering trim all the way up so the motor is spinning. Pop it in water and run until the battery is depleted.

    Do I do this in reverse too?

    Also when complete- Dry motor with compressed air. Spray down with Oil spray. And good to go.

  2. #2
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    53
    Or you can hook the motor up to a battery, put just the motor in a cup full of distiller water and let it go until the battery is dead.

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    4,490
    Please, know what your doing if you do the water break in! Here is what Jimmie Nuetron said about the matter:


    "Water break in will not make the motor last longer... and is specifically why Traxxas advises against it. The water break in excels wear and why it is recommended for racing and more power as it will seat the brushes quicker. Just taking it easy the first few packs will allow the brushes to slowly conform to the commutator and give reasonable results... as long as you clean out the motor after ever few runs at first."

    The water break in WILL shorten your motor life. If you're ok with that, then go for it. Just don't expect it to last forever.
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,705
    After killing 4 12T motors over the past few weeks
    At $20 each with the next one you could have acquired a castle 3800kv with a side-winder esc, more power, and with common sense maintenance a enduring motor.
    Unless your running a stock class requiring said motor.
    Just a thought.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    At $20 each with the next one you could have acquired a castle 3800kv with a side-winder esc, more power, and with common sense maintenance a enduring motor.
    Unless your running a stock class requiring said motor.
    Just a thought.
    Is this set up waterproof? ^^^

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    696
    no its not but your titan 12t or the vxl really isnt either this one says it is but i don't believe it
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDAVL&P=0

    Quote Originally Posted by slashmaine View Post
    Is this set up waterproof? ^^^
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    53
    All dc brushed motors are waterproof by nature and design. With a good cleaning and oiling after, it will be ok. It's the dirty muddy water that gets it messed up.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    696
    Again Johnny answers and WHAMMMMMMMMMMMM answered wrong because he never read the real question

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny13334 View Post
    All dc brushed motors are waterproof by nature and design. With a good cleaning and oiling after, it will be ok. It's the dirty muddy water that gets it messed up.
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    144
    I personally like the water break in


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny13334 View Post
    All dc brushed motors are waterproof by nature and design. With a good cleaning and oiling after, it will be ok. It's the dirty muddy water that gets it messed up.
    No they most certainly arent, by nature or any other way.
    Many will tolerate water but their not by definition water proof, dirty water is indeed worse then clean, but will have a negative long term affect.
    The water break in, while producing a faster motor, cuts the brush life down dramatically.
    Definition of WATERPROOF
    : impervious to water; especially : covered or treated with a material (as a solution of rubber) to prevent permeation by water
    Water is going to have an unfavorable effect on a electric motor, while this may not show it self immediately, water will shorten its life.
    This is a indisputable truth.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 09-02-2013 at 08:12 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    148
    I decided not to do the water break in. Instead I hooked up the batter to the ESC, turned the trim up and let the motor run until the battery ran out. Then did about 10 min in reverse. Lastly I blew it out and oiled it. Hopefully I will be good to go.

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,705
    Quote Originally Posted by benalexe View Post
    I decided not to do the water break in. Instead I hooked up the batter to the ESC, turned the trim up and let the motor run until the battery ran out. Then did about 10 min in reverse. Lastly I blew it out and oiled it. Hopefully I will be good to go.
    For long term this is by far imo the best way, and is near the manufactures recommendations.
    I hope you have better luck this time.
    My grandson runs a titan in the youth stock class, at first he was cooking them posthaste.
    After changing from the water break in to a method quite similar to yours, he has run the same motor in a merciless fashion for some time.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  13. #13
    Traxxas Marshal cooleocool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wherever the road takes me.
    Posts
    37,197
    Quote Originally Posted by benalexe View Post
    I decided not to do the water break in. Instead I hooked up the batter to the ESC, turned the trim up and let the motor run until the battery ran out. Then did about 10 min in reverse. Lastly I blew it out and oiled it. Hopefully I will be good to go.
    That should work well. I have used that method before (minus the reverse part) a few times over the years. It's certainly better than the water break in process that, as mentioned above, is not recommended by Traxxas.

    Enjoy!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

  14. #14
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Please, know what your doing if you do the water break in! Here is what Jimmie Nuetron said about the matter:


    "Water break in will not make the motor last longer... and is specifically why Traxxas advises against it. The water break in excels wear and why it is recommended for racing and more power as it will seat the brushes quicker. Just taking it easy the first few packs will allow the brushes to slowly conform to the commutator and give reasonable results... as long as you clean out the motor after ever few runs at first."

    The water break in WILL shorten your motor life. If you're ok with that, then go for it. Just don't expect it to last forever.
    Who is Jimmie Neutron?

    I can find nothing from traxxas specifically advising against the water break in method.

    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Water is going to have an unfavorable effect on a electric motor, while this may not show it self immediately, water will shorten its life.
    This is a indisputable truth.
    It IS disputable until you explain why? Why will it shorten its life?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-07-2015 at 01:42 PM. Reason: merge

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    112
    If you've ever had a brushed motor die on you when in a race...and in first and get a dnf because of it. Then you'll know.

  16. #16
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by benalexe View Post
    I decided not to do the water break in. Instead I hooked up the batter to the ESC, turned the trim up and let the motor run until the battery ran out. Then did about 10 min in reverse. Lastly I blew it out and oiled it. Hopefully I will be good to go.
    +1 I totally agree, but don't bother with reverse.

  17. #17
    Traxxas Marshal cooleocool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wherever the road takes me.
    Posts
    37,197
    Quote Originally Posted by massenrg4 View Post
    I can find nothing from traxxas specifically advising against the water break in method.
    Here's a quote from a Traxxas employee:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken
    It does give the motors more power but remember the magnet debris? This is because the water break in method causes extremely accelerated wear and reduces motor life by quite a lot (in spite of what you may have heard). It is a racer trick because they really don't care about replacing motors so long as they get more speed and power for their race. Traxxas does not recommend it.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

  18. #18
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    212
    Just a thought here;
    The Traxxas 12T brushed can is a darn good motor when broke in and
    cared for. We have a group that run strictly stock and love the competition
    on a short course, where money doesn't buy a win.

  19. #19
    Traxxas Employee nixhex32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Ft Worth, tx
    Posts
    296
    Water break in was used when brushless motors weren't even a thought. Old brushed motors were rebuild-able. So when racing and getting a new motor you would hook the motor to a power source and dip the motor in a cup of water. Then since the motor was rebuild-able, you would pull it apart, clean the com, cut some new brushes and set the timing if need be. Stock motors had the timing set so you "couldn't" adjust the timing legally for racing. <---- even that could be fudged.

    The Titan motor is a non rebuild-able motor or "sealed", so basically do not do a water break in on a Titan.
    slash 4x4 lcg, telluride(modded), TCP........and other things

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    469
    The "break in" forms the brushes to the commutator. On a new motor the brushes are flat and the commutator is round.
    If you run hard with lots of acceleration and hard stopping the motor will arc a lot. If you run easy with gradual acceleration and stopping there will be less arcing.
    Once the brushes are formed there is much less arcing.The motor will also have more power once the brushes are formed to the commutator.
    Don

  21. #21
    Traxxas Marshal cooleocool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wherever the road takes me.
    Posts
    37,197
    Quote Originally Posted by nixhex32 View Post
    Old brushed motors were rebuild-able. So when racing and getting a new motor you would hook the motor to a power source and dip the motor in a cup of water. Then since the motor was rebuild-able, you would pull it apart, clean the com, cut some new brushes and set the timing if need be. Stock motors had the timing set so you "couldn't" adjust the timing legally for racing. <---- even that could be fudged.
    People did use the water break in method on closed end bell motors (i.e. non-rebuildable). RCCA even published an article showing the power increases that could be had using a Traxxas Stinger motor back in the day (15 year ago, give or take). That being said, it really was mostly a racer trick like NC said. Your average R/Cer would probably never notice the difference.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-07-2015 at 05:34 PM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •