RC poster

Need a little gearing help please

Had my Slash 2wd vxl a couple of months and loving it more than I ever thought. My spur gear has stripped, reading various forums this isn't uncommon on the 2wd slash and going to a 32p gearing setup will prevent this happening again, the maths to work out the gearing I just cant get for the life of me I know its easy but I cant get my head around it. So my question what is the closest gearing to stock on a 32p setup. 32p pinion with how many teeth and what spur 86t ?

Thanks for the assistance
    Last edited by Fontie; 01-06-2015 at 06:00 PM.

RC Competitor
    I don't know the math eaither but I've converted my rustler to 32p and I used 16t pinion and 54t spur

RC poster
    Thanks for the quick reply, with your gearing did that give similar performance as stock presumably you don't have any heat issues

which model do you have? vxl with stock gearing being 86/23?
    if you use a 54t spur in 32p then a 14t pinion will be a tad shorter for more acceleration than the 86/23 gearing while a 15T pinion will be just a tad taller than your current gearing for more top speed. but the higher you gear something the faster it will heat up and the hotter it will get. either one of these would be perfectly fine being as close as they are though.

to figure out gear ratio you just take your spur gear so 86 for example and then divide it by the pinion gear, 23 for example. 86 divided by 23 equals 3.739:1

54/14= 3.857:1
    54/15= 3.6:1

this is just the ratio for your spur and pinion though. inside the transmission itself your gear ratio is 2.72:1

so if you take 2.72 and multiply it by whatever your gear ratio is. using the stock 3.739x2.72= 10.17:1 for your final drive ratio.

hope this all helps out. you can just plug in numbers for spur gear or pinion gear to figure out what each one would be.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    15 & 54. Thats what I use right now. You'll need to take the gear cover off to use these. Then you'll realize that the spur and pinion stick out like a sore thumb. This is the cheapo way though.

The right way is to get a strc layshaft, ditch the traxxas slipper, and get either the avid triad clutch or
    Team associated B44 cluch. Its a way better set up and worth the $$.

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies guys, I've ordered 14/54 for now might order the 15 pinion as well. Living in the UK the parts you mention have to be ordered from USA, if it strips again I'll bite the bullet and order though.

Thanks again, appreciate the help