RC poster

what is best lipo charger

hey guys in new to the traxxas slash 4x4 and i cant figure out what the best charger is... i need a fast charging one

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    one of the best is the icharger 306b $160 and a good power supply $100 on up....

personally i have a thunder ac6 5amp 50w $40, ac680 6amp 80w $50, and a dynamite 4105 10amp 200w $90 + $19 paraboard so i can charge up to 6 batteries on the dynamite at once ..... all ac/dc powered so i dont need a separate power supply...

Last edited by kuskye25; 08-31-2013 at 09:08 PM.
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC poster
    does that plug into the wall

RC Champion
    yes mine are all ac/dc... so i can plug into the wall, or a dc power source like a car battery or power supply...

RC Competitor
    If your on a budget check out the Racers Edge Sure Charge charger. I've got one and use it as often as my Hyperion which was a lot more $$$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    Chris

My rides- Slash 4x4, 1/16 MERV

RC Qualifier
    Dont cheap out on the charger.. So many fires have been started and batteries destroyed with budget cheap china chargers. Charging your lipos is the pretty much most dangerous part of this hobby. When it comes to my familys safety this is one thing i wouldnt cheap out on. If you are looking for a budget charger defiently dont go with thunder.. i have heard many horror stories some even on this forum. Google it and see for yourself . If i had to recommend a budget charger. it would have to be the

HiTec 44165 X1 AC Plus Single Port 6 Amp AC/DC Charger (NiCd/NiMH/LiPo)

Look Familiar?

This is the exact same charger that Traxxas rebranded as the

Traxxas EZ-Peak™ Plus LiPo-Compatible Balance Charger 6amp #2933

only quite a bit cheaper

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kuskye25 View Post
    one of the best is the icharger 306b $160 and a good power supply $100 on up....
    I have this charger and can tell you it is awesome.

I got this http://www.progressiverc.com/the-sur...00w-combo.html and it works flawlessly.

I have some traxxas lipos and two other brands and it handles them all.

Read up on parallel charging before you try it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RC Champion
    Hyperion Duo, fast and balancing is great
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by T4KT1KZ View Post
    Dont cheap out on the charger.. So many fires have been started and batteries destroyed with budget cheap china chargers. Charging your lipos is the pretty much most dangerous part of this hobby. When it comes to my familys safety this is one thing i wouldnt cheap out on. If you are looking for a budget charger defiently dont go with thunder.. i have heard many horror stories some even on this forum. Google it and see for yourself . If i had to recommend a budget charger. it would have to be the

HiTec 44165 X1 AC Plus Single Port 6 Amp AC/DC Charger (NiCd/NiMH/LiPo)

Look Familiar?

This is the exact same charger that Traxxas rebranded as the

Traxxas EZ-Peak™ Plus LiPo-Compatible Balance Charger 6amp #2933

only quite a bit cheaper
    And once again, you are comparing nectarines to peaches since the chargers are not the "exact same charger."

The X1 AC Plus is a 50-Watt charger.
    The Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus is a 80-Watt charger.

Hitec's 80-Watt charger is the X1 MF 80-Watt, Multi-Function, AC/DC Charger, Part No: 44176 and is about the same price or more than the Traxxas model. However, it has a higher maximum charge rate and more features than the Traxxas model.

Additionally, the Traxxas model is not a rebranded Hitec. I'm pretty sure all the chargers above are produced according to a combination of an OE manufacturer's basic design and the contracting company's specifications.

You don't have to believe me - believe your own eyes:
    http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=20

Edit: Any of the referenced models would be fine for a starter charger.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-01-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    is there a smaller version of the icharger 306b ... i think 30 watts is a little overkill for me

whats the best power source for it and is there a paraboard that u can plug two batterys in... i might need one
    Last edited by legomastergvp; 09-01-2013 at 11:29 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by legomastergvp View Post
    is there a smaller version of the icharger 306b ... i think 30 watts is a little overkill for me

whats the best power source for it and is there a paraboard that u can plug two batterys in... i might need one
    yeah the i306 is a beast at 30amps no doubt...

you can get the i206b... but remember youll need a power supply to, which will bump the cost up, unless you just mod a PC power supply or something....

their are cheap paraboards and expensive ones... if your just looking to charge two and your on a buget get the epbuddy v2, i have one and like it a lot... you can charge one battery or up to six batteries at once... as stated above make sure you research and understand how to use a paraboard...

my most recommended mid range setup i sell at my LHS is the dyn4105 and a epbuddy v2 paraboard... and its a AC wall charger so your total investment is $110, if you can spend more then go for it, you wont be disappointed in the ichargers thats for sure

one of the main things when looking at chargers is look at the amps and watts per channel... such as the duratrax 245 can charge 2 batteries at the same time at 5amp, so youd think cool this is a 10amp good charger.. think again its 40watts per channel 80watts total, and thats serisouly stressing the charger if you charge two lipos at once at 5amps each...
    Last edited by kuskye25; 09-01-2013 at 12:11 PM.

30A isn't a big number when parallel charging. Two 5000mah packs at 2C is 20A which is the 206B max limit, but 10 less than the 306B.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

Quote Originally Posted by kuskye25 View Post
    yeah the i306 is a beast at 30amps no doubt...

you can get the i206b... but remember youll need a power supply to, which will bump the cost up, unless you just mod a PC power supply or something....

their are cheap paraboards and expensive ones... if your just looking to charge two and your on a buget get the epbuddy v2, i have one and like it a lot... you can charge one battery or up to six batteries at once... as stated above make sure you research and understand how to use a paraboard...

my most recommended mid range setup i sell at my LHS is the dyn4105 and a epbuddy v2 paraboard... and its a AC wall charger so your total investment is $110, if you can spend more then go for it, you wont be disappointed in the ichargers thats for sure

one of the main things when looking at chargers is look at the amps and watts per channel... such as the duratrax 245 can charge 2 batteries at the same time at 5amp, so youd think cool this is a 10amp good charger.. think again its 40watts per channel 80watts total, and thats serisouly stressing the charger if you charge two lipos at once at 5amps each...
    On sale for about $80 now - the DYN4105 is a pretty good deal.

I still like a separate power supply though.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    And once again, you are comparing nectarines to peaches since the chargers are not the "exact same charger."

The X1 AC Plus is a 50-Watt charger.
    The Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus is a 80-Watt charger.

Hitec's 80-Watt charger is the X1 MF 80-Watt, Multi-Function, AC/DC Charger, Part No: 44176 and is about the same price or more than the Traxxas model. However, it has a higher maximum charge rate and more features than the Traxxas model.

Additionally, the Traxxas model is not a rebranded Hitec. I'm pretty sure all the chargers above are produced according to a combination of an OE manufacturer's basic design and the contracting company's specifications.

You don't have to believe me - believe your own eyes:
    http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route...tegory&path=20

Edit: Any of the referenced models would be fine for a starter charger.
    yes the traxxas is 80w but the charging capabilites of the two chargers are identical. 6 amps. The only differerence is that the traxxas 80w can discharge at 2amp where as the x1 can only discharge at 1amp. If thats worth the extra price then by all means... Even bought the traxxas #2928 temp sensor for my x1 plugged it in and it works great.

SkyRC/IMex/Hitec/Traxxas and probably many others make the same one if you look.
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 09-01-2013 at 04:03 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yes the traxxas is 80w but the charging capabilites of the two chargers are identical. 6 amps. The only differerence is that the traxxas 80w can discharge at 2amp where as the x1 can only discharge at 1amp. If thats worth the extra price then by all means... Even bought the traxxas #2928 temp sensor for my x1 plugged it in and it works great.

SkyRC/IMex/Hitec/Traxxas and probably many others make the same one if you look.
    Yeah, other than the fact than the chargers you noted have different ratings and different features, they are all the same. Heck, I have a drinking glass right here beside my laptop and it is EXACTLY the same as every RC charger on the market. NOT!!!!!

Right. The fact that the Traxxas model can charge a 3S pack at the full 6-Amp rate while a 50-Watt charger can only reach a little less than a 4-Amp rate makes no difference?

Your understanding of charging is incomplete.
    Think about knowing your subject prior to making recommendations.
    Of course, that's totally up to you - my suggestion is just good advice.

RC Competitor
    I have a vista power d610ac and it can charge 2 5000 mah lipos in less than 80 mins.
    it supports all battery types. even the radio receiver battery in the revo 3.3.
    slash platinum,slash 4x4, jato3.3,revo3.3 SUMMIT.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    "what is the best lipo charger" is the name of the thread. I cant afford that one lol, but my mid grade hyperion kicks butt, and will stand toe to toe with 90% of whats out there....
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    So if a guy isn't thinking price but best for the price for a dual charger what would it be?

Money no object, I'd choose the PL 8x2, but that's because I know how good the PL8 is and no matter what other chargers can do, Revolectrix tend go one better.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

I like my powerlab 6. I have a paraboard and a 984 watt power supply from Jimmie neutron. The whole setup was about $300.

lipo power!!!!!
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC poster
    I JUST ordered a Slash 4x4, which i smy first traxxas or any RC Car. I ordered the Traxxas EZ Charger (2933) along with the Lipo 2S 5000 battery. I decided to try the 2S first as the 3S is so fast I'd probably break the truck in half since I am new. I hope the trxxas charger I bought is decent?

This post has been edited to remove filtered language. If something you type is turned into **** you have tripped the language filter and need to edit the post. Please keep language squeaky clean and suitable for all members

Dadx2mj
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 11-21-2013 at 09:53 AM.

I love my pl6, while its capable of 40a charging I've yet to go over 20a's on any of my lipos, even the ones with a 12c charge rating.
    I understand a lot of folks dont want to shell out $200 for a rc lipo charger but when you do the long term math your saving cash.
    There top end quality and workmanship are clear just holding it in your hand, then theres its ability to maintain imo your lipos for a long usefull life.
    I too went the less expensive route first, and for someone not intending to get as deep into the hobby as I there fine, but if your running multiple trucks and over 20 lipos, imo the pl6 is a great investment.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    You don't have to spend a fortune on the power supply either. Here is one of the best ones out there and half the price of the more popular name brands. Built in the USA too!
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....tegory&path=60

Quote Originally Posted by mrhammer2u View Post
    You don't have to spend a fortune on the power supply either. Here is one of the best ones out there and half the price of the more popular name brands. Built in the USA too!
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....tegory&path=60
    Thanks friend, was thinking about an upgrade and you sealed the deal for me.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.