Thread: On road choices

RC Enthusiast

On road choices

I want a 1/10 on road only electric racer, so what are my choices? The xo-1 is out, it's larger than one ten. So that leaves about four options in my mind. Find an old 4-tec, convert a nitro 4-tec, slam a slash/rally as low as I can and call it good, or go with a different brand. What's my best bet with out sending my budget thru the roof?
    If I had a cool sig it would go here.

RC Qualifier
    Whats your budget? These run about $380- $400 on ebay.
    http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...7rally-details
    Any 2.2 street tire would work. These would certainly work.
    http://prolineracing.com/tires/speed...t-truck-tires/
    Last edited by NitroTrout; 08-30-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC Champion
    Yah look in the rally section of the forum, there are some sweet road cars in some of the builds.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Enthusiast
    Honestly my budget is sorta what ever I feel is reasonable.. lol With batteries and a charger if I am under five bills I'd say that is ok. I'll look in the rally section, but my brain says get a car that is meant for being on road to start with when it comes to running in a race class.

RC Champion
    I'm wishing traxxas would revamp a brushless 4-tec for us real street runners.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Enthusiast
    Or scale down the xo-1 even. If I can get hold of a 4-tec it will be brushless before I am done.

Surprised Traxxas hasn't came out with an on-road car based off of the 4x4 Slash/P4de chassis.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    if you guys know about the HPI super nitro, the body wheel base fits perfect with the P4de wheelbase, just have to figure out on how to shortened the arms for the wheels to set properly in or do what Jang did with his shapeshifter P4de.
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Champion
    I run alot of 1/10th touring cars and until Traxxas gets into the game again with something that is not a 4tec, I am "forced" to drive HPI and Tamiya. I currently run an older RS4 Sport and some Tamiya touring cars. I would run newer HPI's, but the Sprint 2 is basically the same as the RS4 with some minor changes. I've owned a couple of electric 4tecs and while they were OK, they were by no means racers or race ready. Took too much effort to make them handle OK when everything else would handle much better even when not set up properly. If you are looking for a good cheap touring car that is decent at speed, get a Sprint2.. If you want to go fast, get a Sprint2 Flux.. Its currently running a Castle 5900 4pole which is grossly overpowering for the car, but fun to drive. I run this system in my RS4.. I'm not bashing Traxxas here, they just don't make anything for the 1/10th touring car market. The Rally isn't a touring car.. its a cross between several types of vehicles.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    I'm not bashing Traxxas here, they just don't make anything for the 1/10th touring car market. The Rally isn't a touring car.. its a cross between several types of vehicles.
    +1 they dont and they need to come up with something to fill this spot in rc's....was forced wo go with sprint 2 while everything I run is traxxas...
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Competitor
    http://montgomery.craigslist.org/tag/4044261277.html

Idk if you'd be able to ship it but there's a few 4-tecs down here.

RC Qualifier
    I'd get an XO-1 if it were me, but you don't want one so I'd say your best and closest bet would be a Rally and get street tires and get it slammed.
    Brushless Rips, Nitro Drips!!! BL Power FTW!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    +1 they dont and they need to come up with something to fill this spot in rc's....was forced wo go with sprint 2 while everything I run is traxxas...
    Its kind of a shame and I wish they would do something before Christmas. A friend of mine was asking what cars he should get for his kids (young) for the holidays because they love the ones I run and my daughters run. I told him I would want to recommend Traxxas, but they don't make them anymore. I had to suggest a brushed sprint2/E10 HPI or a tamiya TT01.. he wanted to be around $200 each.. He wasn't looking for blazing speed.. these are kids 6 and 8 like mine..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Enthusiast
    Picked up a used electric 4-tec on fleabay. Had my eye on a second but the auction got cancelled. Wanting more than one now because I have seen the rarity of parts. I am thinking about the HPI sprint2, not big on the bodies but thats an easy fix. Just throw in a lipo and let it rip. Price is decent on them as well which is good, some of my budget got spent this weekend fixing my daily driver full size.