RC Qualifier

lipo balance charge question

I was told not to balance charge my lipos every timei charge them because it shortens their life. is that true? I was told only balance charge if the cells are off by like .10 volts. What are you guys thoughts? Thanks

Not true at all.

Balance charge every time.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

You should balance charge every time if possible. In fact, it can be the opposite! If you don't balance charge them, they can throw the cells out of balance and run the risk of one running too low.
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeTeton

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    I was told not to balance charge my lipos every timei charge them because it shortens their life. is that true? I was told only balance charge if the cells are off by like .10 volts. What are you guys thoughts? Thanks
    Whom ever told you that was very wrong. Balancing while charging is an important safety function and it will not harm the pack in any way.

RC Qualifier
    Thats what I thought. You guys won't believe who told me that it was the technical support at venom batteries. You would think he would know

RC Qualifier
    Thats what I thought. You guys won't believe who told me that it was the technical support at venom batteries. You would think he would know
    Sounds like job security

samsung galaxy note 2
    rusler vxl, rusler xl-5, jato 3.3, losi 5ive T

Exactly.

I have read lots of threads where bad advice was given by so called experts... these same "experts" will usually profit from their bad advice too.

Coincidence?
    I think not.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If the pack is fairly new and/or the cells are still closely matched, the balance function of a charger doesn't really do anything to the pack. During the charge cycle when the cells reach a certain predetermined voltage, the charger begins to monitor the cell voltages to determine if they are close to each or if they have strayed apart. If the cell voltages are close to each other the charger takes no further action until the next predetermined voltage check. If at that time the cell voltages are still close, then again nothing extra at all happens. If it continues like this it is very possible the pack will fully charge without the charger taking any balance action at all. So how could this process of doing nothing possibly damage a pack?

If the cells do stray apart, the charger applies a VERY small discharge to the cell that is too high in attempt to hold it back until the other cell catches up. This small discharge current is typically only 150 millivolts or so, a mere fraction of what the packs see during real world use. Again, how could this damage a pack?
    Last edited by Jakey; 09-15-2013 at 08:39 PM.