Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rags to Riches

RC Qualifier
    Total blast today. I ran 6 packs through my truck and the kid ran 5. Found a place where they are building 3 new houses next to each other. Nice piles of dirt and gravel. My truck stayed in one piece (proline CVD's stayed put and never popped once). My kid's truck lost a wheel nut but stayed in one piece the whole day. I haven't done post run inspection so I don't know if any damage was done but a quick visual doesn't reveal anything obvious. Took me a minute to tune the pro ball diff with the slipper but I got it figured out half way through the first pack. Really liking it. I get a chance to race my pede in an actual competition on Tuesday night so I will have to figure it out for racing now. Racing I have been told is a whole new animal as far as gearing, suspension, and transmission set ups. Can't wait to earn a little cash back I have into it. No doubt in the right hands she's a bad fast truck and a force to reckon with....Just hope these clubs on the end of my arms are those hands!!
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier

Pretty excited

Rags to Riches is going on the race track for the first time tonight. Got the pro ball diff and slipper dialed in for racing last night and played with my suspension set up a bit. I will be taking off the trenchers and racing on the Proline Hole Shot 2.2's on 5-spoke HPI rims. 21 trucks have entered. They are doing 3 heats of 7 trucks with the winner of each heat going to the main event. 2nd and 3rd place heat winners will be in a combined feature with the winners also going to the main. Should be exciting, especially with a $250 cash purse to win the main and $25 gift certificate for the LHS to the 1st place heat winners. Don't remember the prizes for the feature races but I think they are $50 gift certificates. I've got my eye on a few things I could use.

The coolest thing is it's put on by a mom-n-pop LHS so it's not sanctioned or regulated. Aside from a rule regarding batteries (hard case only), anything goes as far as truck components and set ups. You get one hour for test and tune. They try to keep the trucks somewhat even based on the specs you fill out for registration. Tonight is 1/10 Traxxas electrics only. Tomorrow night is nitro and drag racing. Might go check that out.

I'll post my results. Wish me luck.
    This space reserved

RC Champion
    if you havent gone to a track yet i wish you the best of luck.......first time for me being at a track .i got there around 10am and stayed praticing till about 5pm and was still crashing....its hard to stay on a line when your so used to bashing with the truck
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Champion
    Good luck, fixxer. Proline hole shots have treated me well so far. If the track is wet tho, they will get packed with dirt/clay in the rears, so id suggest bringing some kind of setup to clean your tires in between rounds.
    Last edited by Oaks; 10-15-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Good bluck buddy. Get that body as low as possible!
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    suggest bringing some kind of setup to clean your tires in between rounds.
    Hoping I can make it past the first heat. The truck is wicked fast and handles like dream...but with 6 other trucks...an inexperienced racer, and all that power...lol, could mean disaster. Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking a course bristled hair brush will do the trick.
    Last edited by Thefixxer73; 10-15-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Good luck buddy. Get that body as low as possible!
    She's down all the way. I actually removed the posts entirely in the front and just have the front of the body screwed to the mount. The rear posts are mounted as low as I can get them. I am using the black prographix body for this race so I cut a hole for the esc which is sticking up through the bed 1/2". Can't any lower. Kinda wishing I picked up a rustler body before today but I was too concerned with getting my truck tuned.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    if you havent gone to a track yet i wish you the best of luck.......first time for me being at a track .i got there around 10am and stayed praticing till about 5pm and was still crashing....its hard to stay on a line when your so used to bashing with the truck
    Unfortunately its a closed track til 5pm. Racing starts at 6:30. They are only giving us an hour to test and tune then stand around for 1/2 an hour while they class all the trucks. I could have taken advantage of open practice times over the last week but stupife life got in the way and I didn't have time. Most of my practice has been on a baseball diamond.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    boogity boogity boogity...let's go racin` boys!!

There are some fast trucks and a lot of experience here so we will see what Rags To Riches can pull out.
    Last edited by Thefixxer73; 10-15-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    Well not so bad. I finished 3rd in my heat and made it to the feature where I finished 2nd. That got me to the main event where I got ran over and finished 5th of 9. In the main I was running 3rd for the first 5 laps then got clipped by an e-revo and just couldn't get the momentum back up. I blame the track spotters being slow..lol

Nothing broke, came loose, stripped out, or otherwise failed. Pretty happy with my first race ever. Headed home to get my bash set up back on for a bash session tomorrow morning.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    Ok so...started setting my truck back up for bashing and decided that since I am going to race my truck once or twice a week that it would make sense to have two different transmissions. One with the planetary style diff and the other with the proball diff. I'm thinking it will be far less hassle to swap out the transmission rather than changing the diff after racing. I am reading a lot about the proball diff being terrible for bashing anyway. Just ordered a complete 272 magnum transmission. Will have to skip bashing tomorrow I suppose.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    I have a binding problem that has been plaguing me on this one side forever. This question comes in the form of a video to illustrate what I am talking about. Please help. As far as I know I am doing everything right. I have tried a different steering block, different washers, washer placement on the inside outside and both sides of the axle pin, no washer at all (although it spins freely when the nut is tight is creates what I call traxxas wheel wobble) different bearings, and beveled the backside of the wheel hex. I am at a loss. Hopefully the video will show something I am missing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpzT1...ature=youtu.be
    This space reserved

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    My front rims will bind if I over-tighten them, but do not have the wobble when I back them off a bit to free them up. Is the hex slightly too small for the rim(wrap 1 layer of scotch tape around the hex to see if the wobble is reduced)? Only thing I can think of unless the teflon washer is too thick(use the thinner of the 2 sizes) or the metal hex is bad. Wheel wobble thread detailing all the variables:
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123097
    Last edited by rag6; 10-17-2013 at 02:38 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks rag6. I have been over that exact thread a few times before. The only variable I don't think I'm covering is washer thickness. I've been using tra1985. Is there a thinner washer like a .03mm?

Unfortunately I can't find a happy medium with the tightness of the flanged locknut. To get any spin it has to be backed off so loose it may as well not be on at all. As you saw in the video even 1/8 of a turn binds it up. As I mentioned I have tried different hexes even going back to plastic once to try and the result is the same. I got some strc alum locking hex's to try next. The regular alum hex's you see in the video are actually tight in the rim so I'm not sure the locking ones will matter.
    This space reserved

I believe the 0.5 is the right one. Does it do it without the washer? Could the bearings be loose in the carrier? I hate "pull my hair out" issues. Try it without the washer to see if the binding goes away. If so, maybe the carrier is out of spec? Only happens on that 1 side right?

Could the inside of the hex be loose on the axle? Tryin to throw out everything I can think of...

RC Champion
    what kind of bearing carriers are those? Also, what's the word on those front axles laying on the work table? Also, who's hexes are those?

A. can you try using the stock hexes to see if the issue still exists?
    B. compare all 4 front stub axles and make sure they are consistent with the placement of the pin
    C. Take out the bearings and place on a front axle one at a time to make sure none of them are seized. the front axle should be loose/uninstalled/in your hand.
    D. I've been thru this before. One of my front axles has a thin washer and the other has no washers. Yo umay have to run no washers. If it wobbles real bad, swap the front axles with a fresh one.

good luck!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I believe the 0.5 is the right one. Does it do it without the washer? Could the bearings be loose in the carrier? I hate "pull my hair out" issues. Try it without the washer to see if the binding goes away. If so, maybe the carrier is out of spec? Only happens on that 1 side right?

Could the inside of the hex be loose on the axle? Tryin to throw out everything I can think of...
    Doesn't do it without the washer. It will spin longer than I have the patience to watch, but w/o the washer I get the notorious traxxas wheel wobble. I have tried every kind of combination I can think of including rebuilding the whole side with different carriers, bearings, axle pins, axles, wheel nuts, washers....everything. It also does it when I put my HPI 2.2" rims on with PL Hole Shots. The other side does it too but not to the extreme as the side in my video. With the speeds I am able to do I cannot be having that wobble.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    what kind of bearing carriers are those? Also, what's the word on those front axles laying on the work table? Also, who's hexes are those?

A. can you try using the stock hexes to see if the issue still exists?
    B. compare all 4 front stub axles and make sure they are consistent with the placement of the pin
    C. Take out the bearings and place on a front axle one at a time to make sure none of them are seized. the front axle should be loose/uninstalled/in your hand.
    D. I've been thru this before. One of my front axles has a thin washer and the other has no washers. Yo umay have to run no washers. If it wobbles real bad, swap the front axles with a fresh one.

good luck!
    Bearing carriers are RPM. The axles you see on the table are actually the older style with the shorter threads. Had them out because I was trying every part in my arsenal to figure this out. Those hexes are mine ..j/k...I don't recall the brand. Issue still exists with stock hexs. All the bearings are clean and free spinning and there is no play between the axle shaft and the bearing hole.
    This space reserved

RC Champion
    All I can say is that rpm bearing carriers sometime require that you mash the bejesus out ofthe bearings to make them seat all the way.

Have you tried swapping bearings or even the entire carrier to the other side?

RC Qualifier
    All I can say is that rpm bearing carriers sometime require that you mash the bejesus out ofthe bearings to make them seat all the way.

Have you tried swapping bearings or even the entire carrier to the other side?
    Haven't thought about switching the carriers to the opposite side....but I have tried new carriers with the same results. What I am starting to point the finger at is the variable that never changes.....the bearings. Maybe the VXB bearings I use are the root of all this evil.
    This space reserved

could the axle be slightly bent at the crosspin hole? That could cause enough binding to do it.
    I was just messing with all of my front ends tonight. All will bind if I overtighten them, but none wobble.

RC Qualifier
    Does the same thing with new axles and cross pins. I'm developing a small bald spot on top of my head. Like I said in my previous post...the only thing I haven't changed is the brand of bearings. Stopping at the lhs on the way to work to pick up a different brand.
    This space reserved

then I hope thats your problem.

RC Qualifier
    BINGO!!! It was the bearings.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    A new piece of yummy goodness went on the truck tonight.

I also installed a HR aluminum slipper clutch and HR graphite pads. Finally installed the STRC hinge pins as well.

Looking over at the boy and he's just about got his transmission put back together...Was a fun night. We were jammin some Pink Floyd and "wrenchin". Tomorrow....we bash.
    This space reserved

Quote Originally Posted by Thefixxer73 View Post
    BINGO!!! It was the bearings.
    Thank goodness...

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys. I thought I would take some time to make a video this morning to show a nice detailed look at the upgrades and work that has gone in to Rags to Riches over the last few months since I dug it out after 7 years in a box.

I would like to give a shout out to a few members that have helped me along the way. Without their knowledge and expertise, Rags to Riches would still be sitting in rags. The only documentation I have of the truck's previous state is in a thread called Rides Again. There are some pics in that thread kind of showing what I started with, followed by this thread that has highlighted the trucks transformation. It’s not the best truck by any stretch but it certainly deserves a place on the podium. So, thanks to rag6, Oaks, ithrowstones, reod12x2, DiggerPede, and dugsguns. Sorry if I forgot anyone but if you have given me pointers thanks to you as well.

So, without further ado, here is my video log of Rags to Riches. The only thing I think I forgot to mention on the upgrade list was the strc threaded hardened steel king pins and flange wheel locknuts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvfuj...ature=youtu.be
    This space reserved

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Good vid man. Keep up the good work. Let us know how the track day goes. I'm kinda way jealous, sitting here at work and its gorgeous out.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Good vid man. Keep up the good work. Let us know how the track day goes. I'm kinda way jealous, sitting here at work and its gorgeous out.
    Blah...not so good today. Finished 5th in the first heat so it wasn't enough to advance. Just couldn't hold a good line today. Truck was plenty fast and everything was working right..the problem was me . Can't do great every time I suppose. It's going racing again Tuesday night. TheFixxer01 came along and raced his truck in a special brushed motor race for kids under 13 and took 2nd.
    This space reserved

...If I only had a track close enough. The one I was going to closed down a month ago. It was free entry for me (bro in law is friends of them). Most of the places are a good drive. So, that leaves me to run in my yard and open areas around town for the time being.

Sometimes we have those days. Still fun and challenging to run though.

BTW Congrats TheFixxer01. Keep racing and you'll only get better.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Where I race R2R is an LHS...and when I say LHS, I mean mom and pop owned. Not a national chain like tower or hobbytown. The track is closed except for race nights but you can rent 1/2 hour blocks of time to run the short course and oval on race days. That leaves me to practice racing on a baseball diamond. Track surface is almost identical to the LHS's short track minus the jumps and of course laid out switch backs and turns. For bashing I find places like side streets that are being rebuilt or new housing developments work too.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier

Steering blocks...which is better?

So I am looking at the next "upgrade". Considering aluminum steering blocks and rear bearing carriers. I am a big fan of STRC and Hot Racing parts, but also love stuff from RPM. I currently have RPM steering blocks and bearing carriers. Is it worth the cost to go aluminum with these parts and if so, STRC or Hot Racing? I could kick the RPM's down the TheFixxer01 for his Blue Ice rig (they are blue after all).
    Last edited by Thefixxer73; 10-21-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    This space reserved

STRC and HR both make good aluminum parts. Don't forget Traxxas makes some really good ones to. I prefer alloy over plastics as they are more rigid IMO. But when they bend if you are lucky and can bend them back, they will be weak from then on.

Oh and Anza ones are really nice to. I believe they are only sold at HobbyTown USA. Probably some of the best ones.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Really liking Hot Racing more and more. I use their heavy duty aluminum slipper clutch, graphite clutch pads, clutch plate, and pinion/spur gears in my racing transmission. Also have the aluminum heavy duty steering servo.

As far as Anza, neither of the two in my area are carrying them. All the have is slash chassis parts. I think pending some feedback from some more members here I will decide later tonight, but really leaning toward STRC. I like the offerings from trx as well but they are a few more bucks than strc.
    This space reserved

I believe any HS that has Horizon as a distributor will have anza parts or can order.

RC Qualifier
    In my area I have Hobbytown USA and a little place I race at called Galaxy Science & Hobby. Galaxy can't get Anza. Hobbytown can but holy not cheap.

I went with STRC blue. I will have to fight my son for them but once I think he figures out he's getting my RPM carriers to upgrade Blue Ice's bushings he will settle down.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    Woot! Carriers and steering blocks are on the way. I also got

Hot Racing TE18L06 Blue Aluminum Motor Lock Heat Sink Plate
    Hot Racing STE100MR128 Multi Rate Rear Spring Set
    Hot Racing STE90MR128 Multi rate Front Spring Set

The spring sets I got to play with for my racing set up. They won't be here in time before Tuesday nights race but that's ok. I'll run the Ultra springs I have on it now.
    Last edited by Thefixxer73; 10-21-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefixxer73 View Post
    In my area I have Hobbytown USA and a little place I race at called Galaxy Science & Hobby. Galaxy can't get Anza. Hobbytown can but holy not cheap.

I went with STRC blue. I will have to fight my son for them but once I think he figures out he's getting my RPM carriers to upgrade Blue Ice's bushings he will settle down.
    Where ya located fixxer?

Nice set of upgrades. I've run everything but the Anza. I hear such good things about them, and I know they are a higher cost associated with them.

I just checked their website and I don't even see the Front Anaza carriers listed. Hmmmmmm..... Hope they still make them.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
    Where ya located fixxer?
    In a little town just outside Appleton, WI.
    This space reserved