Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Sverige View Post
    Looking good!
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    I really do have to say.....that is one mighty looking mean machine you have built there viperZ.....im actually a little envious ...great work and read as per...well done bing
    Thanks Simon, to think it all started with you and your 17mm wheel adapters, when I red about them in your thread

It's actually a shame the car is progressing faster than I anticipated. I only took it off road once... I'm looking forward to the GT bodies for it however, as I'm a much bigger fan of on road cars myself. This build has been a great learning experience for conversion...

I want a do over for those obnoxious red wheel nuts

Less overt silver

I really noticed the left rear body post is nearly wore through form dragging on the pavement, upsidedown

Last edited by ViperZ; 09-21-2013 at 11:58 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    How far does the motor hang over the mounting plate?
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    The STRC plate has a cut-out which allows the motor to sit flush on the chassis.

Viper, nice job on the 17mm hubs & Kyosho's! I tried the Kyosho slicks, but went back to the Pro Line Road Rage's. The way I have my chassis setup, the Kyosho's had me bottoming out all the time. They are a smaller diameter tire.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And I agree with you on the GT car setup, I have a PF8 body for mine but haven't installed the A-Arms yet. Road cars are a blast at speed!

AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    Viper, nice job on the 17mm hubs & Kyosho's! I tried the Kyosho slicks, but went back to the Pro Line Road Rage's. The way I have my chassis setup, the Kyosho's had me bottoming out all the time. They are a smaller diameter tire.

And I agree with you on the GT car setup, I have a PF8 body for mine but haven't installed the A-Arms yet. Road cars are a blast at speed!

AB
    Thanks AB! I quite like the smaller diameter as it looks more scale and not as comic in proportions..... I adjusted my coils to raise the chassis a bit more, however I'm hesitant to increase overall ride height, as it will affect handling negatively. The Hot Racing springs seem nice and stiff, so this may work okay. I really like these wheels, so much so I had to buy a set in Black too

I also have the Sweep Racing ones coming, it will interesting to see how they compare. I do notice the rubber seems to be a bit harder compound on the Kyoshos's compared to the Street Fighters. I don't have time to test the car this weekend, but I'm waiting for the MIP's anyway.

I agree on the road cars! I use to race 1/12 elec, 1/10 elec and 1/8 Nitro so this feels like home to me

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=ViperZ;5580065]Thanks man!

Thanks Simon, to think it all started with you and your 17mm wheel adapters, when I red about them in your thread

It's actually a shame the car is progressing faster than I anticipated. I only took it off road once... I'm looking forward to the GT bodies for it however, as I'm a much bigger fan of on road cars myself. This build has been a great learning experience for conversion...[B]

whaaaaaaaat.....me?...Lol...its in your blood dude....like all us addicts....we cant help it......why is it a shame?...did you really want a rally ? or just have a little fun with it first?....I think all builds are good learning curves from one project to the next....but I have to say this forum is spot on for brain picking and ideas....I have learnt a lot from it...as like you ive only had my slashes since june this year and have transformed them so much like yourself.....silver wheel nuts are not so brash....nice one viperZ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Thanks AB! I quite like the smaller diameter as it looks more scale and not as comic in proportions..... I adjusted my coils to raise the chassis a bit more, however I'm hesitant to increase overall ride height, as it will affect handling negatively. The Hot Racing springs seem nice and stiff, so this may work okay. I really like these wheels, so much so I had to buy a set in Black too

I also have the Sweep Racing ones coming, it will interesting to see how they compare. I do notice the rubber seems to be a bit harder compound on the Kyoshos's compared to the Street Fighters. I don't have time to test the car this weekend, but I'm waiting for the MIP's anyway.

I agree on the road cars! I use to race 1/12 elec, 1/10 elec and 1/8 Nitro so this feels like home to me
    Hers's mine with the body on, pretty low. I'm using XO-1 shocks, with a softer than stock rate. It handles very well, even on turns at speed. I'm only running 3S, may bump it up to 4S to try it out, at least once!

[IMG][/IMG]

AB

RC Champion
    whaaaaaaaat.....me?...Lol...its in your blood dude....like all us addicts....we cant help it......why is it a shame?...did you really want a rally ? or just have a little fun with it first?....I think all builds are good learning curves from one project to the next....but I have to say this forum is spot on for brain picking and ideas....I have learnt a lot from it...as like you ive only had my slashes since june this year and have transformed them so much like yourself.....silver wheel nuts are not so brash....nice one viperZ

Okay, I'm just using you as a scape goat buddy! You're right, it's all on me

I thought I wanted a Rally, you know as a rally car, but I find the Ultimate fits that bill pretty well with the Knuckles on it, so I decided to go the GT8 route with it. Yeah, the Silver nuts look much more toned down and scale.

Hers's mine with the body on, pretty low. I'm using XO-1 shocks, with a softer than stock rate. It handles very well, even on turns at speed. I'm only running 3S, may bump it up to 4S to try it out, at least once!

AB
    Looks Very Nice! I have a set of 17mm Split Six and HB's mounted with Road Rages, but I decided I like the GT2 wheels more for they balloon less. Even taped, Road Rage's ballooned too much on a 4s with my Rally. It was your picture in the tire thread that made decide to try as set of Kyoshos

RC Qualifier
    Looks Very Nice! I have a set of 17mm Split Six and HB's mounted with Road Rages, but I decided I like the GT2 wheels more for they balloon less. Even taped, Road Rage's ballooned too much on a 4s with my Rally. It was your picture in the tire thread that made decide to try as set of Kyoshos [/QUOTE]

Thanks! I like the silver on yours. It blends well with the silver stripes on the car.
    My Road Rage's are taped too, but that's one of the reasons i'm only running 3S. I've clocked it at 45+, but I really don't need that much more speed. Like I said before, I may try 4S just to see how it runs.

AB

RC Champion
    Thanks! I like the silver on yours. It blends well with the silver stripes on the car.
    My Road Rage's are taped too, but that's one of the reasons i'm only running 3S. I've clocked it at 45+, but I really don't need that much more speed. Like I said before, I may try 4S just to see how it runs.

AB
    The 4s is fast! With a 18/54 gear and the MM2-2650kv combo, I hit 62mph... It's really cruising for such a short wheel base car.

My first run the 17mm HB Wheels and Road Rages, the tires ballooned so bad they flipped the car and became unglued. I then used the 3.0/2.2 Beadlocks with Street Fighters, taped and they worked better. I think the Street Fighters are a thicker rubber, and once taped, less susceptible to ballooning. I was hoping the Kyoshos would combat that, and most definitely the Sweep Racing 45deg belted tires I have coming.

I was after max speed with this Rally build, but now I'm good with 62mph, actually I want to just break 100kph (62.1371 mph ), so I will gear up one more step and then say good enough, set it up as Road GT car that is fun to just rip around.

I picked up one of these for my Flat out, on Road RC, Need For Speed

Last edited by ViperZ; 09-21-2013 at 11:11 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The 4s is fast! With a 18/54 gear and the MM2-2650kv combo, I hit 62mph... It's really cruising for such a short wheel base car.

My first run the 17mm HB Wheels and Road Rages, the tires ballooned so bad they flipped the car and became unglued. I then used the 3.0/2.2 Beadlocks with Street Fighters, taped and they worked better. I think the Street Fighters are a thicker rubber, and once taped, less susceptible to ballooning. I was hoping the Kyoshos would combat that, and most definitely the Sweep Racing 45deg belted tires I have coming.

I was after max speed with this Rally build, but now I'm good with 62mph, actually I want to just break 100kph (62.1371 mph ), so I will gear up one more step and then say good enough, set it up as Road GT car that is fun to just rip around.

I picked up one of these for my Flat out RC Need For Speed

Nice! I agree with you on the speed for a SWB car, too much! Mine is a handful at 45! I used some of those Suprasales in a large dusty parking lot, and just SHREDDED them!!! It has enough power to drift at will!

Have fun with that XO-!!

AB

RC Champion
    Thanks! I will!

Hmmm, I've yet to shred tires, but I'm not ruling anything out I have set up my Tx with a dual rate reduced throw lock to lock for speed runs as well I programed in a bit of exponential to reduce sensitivity. It should help for fast speed passes.

Generally though, for my 62mph runs I found the current set up very well behaved, predictable and controllable.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! I will!

Hmmm, I've yet to shred tires, but I'm not ruling anything out I have set up my Tx with a dual rate reduced throw lock to lock for speed runs as well I programed in a bit of exponential to reduce sensitivity. It should help for fast speed passes.

Generally though, for my 62mph runs I found the current set up very well behaved, predictable and controllable.
    I have some expo dialed in too, reduces the response, "Oh DARN" at high speed!
    Looking at your setup, I now regret not dying my chassis. I've done others, but I guess I wanted instant gratification from driving this one sooner! I can still take it apart & dip it...

AB

RC Champion
    I don't mind the grey. My Ultimate is still grey to this day and I can't seem me dying it. As you say you can always dip it still, it doesn't take long to strip it down.

RC Qualifier
    The grey isn't bad, It's just that the BLUE stands out more against the black background. I notice the colors better on the body with the white lettering off too.

AB

RC Champion
    It's more toned down with the Logos off

RC Qualifier
    It's more toned down with the Logos off
    Just the way I like it!
    AB

RC Champion
    Not much to update other than it was a Big Body Day!

I was really looking forward to the Sweep body, and I stall am, but seeing all the others made me think I may start with a different body for the Rally/GT8 first. Maybe the Protoform PF8

L to R, F to B: JConcepts 2012 Ford F250 SD, Ofna GTP, Sweep 1:8 GT, Protoform PF8, and 2 XO-1's

Sweep 1:8 GT

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Not much to update other than it was a Big Body Day!

I was really looking forward to the Sweep body, and I stall am, but seeing all the others made me think I may start with a different body for the Rally/GT8 first. Maybe the Protoform PF8

L to R, F to B: JConcepts 2012 Ford F250 SD, Ofna GTP, Sweep 1:8 GT, Protoform PF8, and 2 XO-1's

Sweep 1:8 GT

my goodness man, looks like you can open a LHS J/K got some nice collections going on there
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Champion
    How is that sweep body?
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    my goodness man, looks like you can open a LHS J/K got some nice collections going on there
    Thanks.. No joke, my basement work shop is overrun with RC Planes, Helicopters and Car stuff now.... It shares space with my bicycle and camera equipment collection. I need to stop for a while just because I'm running out of room.

How is that sweep body?
    It looks nice, but I'm not so sure its going to fit the Rally/GT8 so well with out some modifications. I thin the shock towers are too tall, which does not allow the body to hug the ground. It will mount and look okay, but for that really aggressive low fitted look I'm after, I may have to get the XO-1 towers. We'll see as I need some time to ponder this.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks.. No joke, my basement work shop is overrun with RC Planes, Helicopters and Car stuff now.... It shares space with my bicycle and camera equipment collection. I need to stop for a while just because I'm running out of room.
    LOL, no you just need a 2nd basement that way you can have more room for some odd reason, i cant have a lot of RC collections, I tend to sell one to fund for another build and with that being said, I'm thinking of selling my Ultimate P4de if I cant find a ESC replacement, still not sure.
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Champion
    LOL, no you just need a 2nd basement that way you can have more room for some odd reason, i cant have a lot of RC collections, I tend to sell one to fund for another build and with that being said, I'm thinking of selling my Ultimate P4de if I cant find a ESC replacement, still not sure.
    Yep, I really have too many hobbies.. I don't tend to sell anything, so this is my lot in life Good thing I have not yet encroached on the wife's locations, but its getting close when I store stuff in her sewing room

RC Champion
    I also picked up a new body post kit today to replace the rear one that is nearly worn through from dragging on pavement at 60mph

You can see it's nearly through!

RC Qualifier
    that sweep is my fav....love the flowing lines on the body....wow cant believe those posts...that's mad....maybe some metal tips to go on them and see the sparks fly when your upside down....Lol...

RC Champion
    that sweep is my fav....love the flowing lines on the body....wow cant believe those posts...that's mad....maybe some metal tips to go on them and see the sparks fly when your upside down....Lol...
    I was thinking about aluminum tips, but I like your idea too Yes I think the Sweep body should look great once I figure out how to best get it mounted

Received the remainder of my MIPs today. Now all I need are the Pro-Trac arms and the dust boots I'm going to try and fit to the MIP's... Funny MIP would not offer this for the CVD joint

MIP 10133 Front XD CVD for Slash, MIP 10115 17mm Adapters and MIP 11104 Rear XD CVD Drive Shafts

RC Champion
    The Gulf Livery cars have got to be one of my all time favorites. So much so after thread discussions with Simon32man, I decided I need to do one for myself. I was originally planning on creating one in a RC Pylon Racing plane, thus I had a custom made decal set... Inspired by Simon's Gulf Slash, I stopped at the local hobby store and picked up the paints for this project, as well as some other colors that caught my fancy as well.

I bought a few bodies for this Rally/GT8, I was originally planning on painting the Sweep Racing body first, however now on this Gulf kick, it seems I should do the Ofna GTP body first. It is basically modeled after a McLaren F1 LM car.

There are various versions of the F1 Gulf, however I think I want to do the more traditional Sky Blue & Orange version.

Like this

Mind you this is nice too

As is this, even if it isn't the traditional Sky blue

Originally planned for a Pylon Racing Plane with custom matched paint for the Monokote

Stocked up on some paints

This is the current Plan
    Last edited by ViperZ; 09-28-2013 at 04:31 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Way to go viperZ....that's great news...the second pic is pretty awesome....great selection of paints...unfortunately I don't air brush so it rattle cans for me....I really like this colour to as a lime
    http://www.futureworldmodels.com/aca...fo_179SGL.html May try this
    Last edited by simon32man; 09-28-2013 at 05:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Nice rally! Good upgrades and modifications. Attention to detail.

Sent from Oser world

RC Champion
    Now that is awesome! My mind would be 'racing' to configure paint color and schemes to do these up!
    LOL, my wife is a seamstress, she is infringing on my area now, I guess I need to step up and order more stuff? LOL

Have you looked at Amain Hobbies for your bodies, free ship on over $25 and excellent pricing on all brands of bodies too!
    Looking forward to seeing some more paintwork, sweet

RC Champion
    Way to go viperZ....that's great news...the second pic is pretty awesome....great selection of paints...unfortunately I don't air brush so it rattle cans for me....I really like this colour to as a lime
    http://www.futureworldmodels.com/aca...fo_179SGL.html May try this
    Thanks Simon! That lime green looks good too! I like how you have these different supplies in the UK, I may have to explore that page link a bit more...!

Quote Originally Posted by dirty don View Post
    Nice rally! Good upgrades and modifications. Attention to detail.
    Thanks Dirty Don! I have a friend name Don who's nick name is "Dirty Don"

Quote Originally Posted by kwitty View Post
    Now that is awesome! My mind would be 'racing' to configure paint color and schemes to do these up!
    LOL, my wife is a seamstress, she is infringing on my area now, I guess I need to step up and order more stuff? LOL

Have you looked at Amain Hobbies for your bodies, free ship on over $25 and excellent pricing on all brands of bodies too!
    Looking forward to seeing some more paintwork, sweet
    Ha, Ha, the reverse of infringement... It has to come around, but seldom around here LOL!

I frequent Amain quite a bit, its a great site, thanks!

Okay in a fit of anticipation I decided to assemble my MIP's. Nicely designed set of CVD's. Slightly over built, and assembling these made me chuckle at the plastic parts that they all connect to. These will not be the weakest link, that's for sure, unless one of the set screws lets go, then it is hobbled.

Seriously, nice parts... So I'm waiting for the Pro-Trac extended arms, and wasn't sure is they would go on with the standard width RPM arms. They do not!! So I'll be installing the plastic ones back until the new wider arms arrive. I suppose I could put in the Traxxas 6851/2R's....

One thing about the MIP 17mm adapter set is I'm not so crazy about the wheel nut. It's a nicely domed unit, but looks wise I like the standard open 17mm nuts. First world problems hey..?

I bought a pair for 11104 Back Shafts for the Rustler/Stampede with keyed axles, said to fit the Pro-Trac arms

Back Pair assembled

Assembling the fronts, using the Back Shafts required a separate set of front MIP 10133 Slash axles, Front on bottom

Full set assembled. Fronts on the bottom

OEM Plastic Axle

Longer MIP's don't fit the standard width track

MIP 17mm Adapters
    Last edited by ViperZ; 09-28-2013 at 11:14 PM.

RC Champion
    The STRC plate has a cut-out which allows the motor to sit flush on the chassis.AB
    Okay thanks.

ViperZ!! I see you like the gulf colors, guess what I saw at my cross country today in those colors, I'll pm you pics!

RC Champion
    Okay thanks.

ViperZ!! I see you like the gulf colors, guess what I saw at my cross country today in those colors, I'll pm you pics!
    A Heritage Edition Ford GT?

RC Champion
    Nope a McLaren 12C!!!

RC Champion
    Whoa.. Even Better! Thanks for posting that!

RC Champion
    Whoa.. Even Better! Thanks for posting that!
    Your welcome, now before we get the thread shut down, did you ever get that gulf body painted for the rally?

RC Champion
    Your welcome, now before we get the thread shut down, did you ever get that gulf body painted for the rally?
    working on it

I think I need the XO-1 shock towers to lower the mounting points of the shocks as they are just on the upper edge of preventing the bodies form sitting just right.

This GT8 conversion, is having to jump in with both feet, there is no half way it seems....

RC Champion
    Here are some photos of the body fitment of the Ofna GTP and the Rally/GT8. I will for sure need to swap out to the XO-1 towers to get the bodies as low as I would like. Currently the rear of the body is sitting on the rear body mounts, and the front is nearly resting on the shock towers. This is the same issues I seen with the Sweep 1:8 GT body.

Last edited by ViperZ; 09-29-2013 at 06:41 PM.

RC Champion
    Love it! It'll look even faster when you get the chance to paint it (maybe you new nickname will be Mr. Busypants???)

RC Champion
    Love it! It'll look even faster when you get the chance to paint it (maybe you new nickname will be Mr. Busypants???)
    No doubt hey?

Ordered the XO-1 Towers, lets hope this does the trick

RC Champion
    No doubt hey?

Ordered the XO-1 Towers, lets hope this does the trick
    Fingers crossed!

RC Champion
    ^^^ If not I'll grind it down LOL!

Installed my Pro-Trac A arms and MIP drive shafts tonight. Can I say this is now one exciting project? I'm really liking this and I hope I can get the car to handle as well as the XO-1 does. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves with a bit of commentary.

Pro-Trac Extended arms

Sweep 1/8 GT2 45 degree Belted tires

The Sweeps are slightly bigger in Diameter than the Kyoshos

Sweeps

Kyoshos

Sweeps on left

Pro-Trac compared to OEM arms

Pro-Trac on right

OEM Back track width

OEM Front track width
    Last edited by ViperZ; 09-30-2013 at 10:41 PM.