Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Yes I agree that most rally cars have white rims....but there is something about white plastic wheels looking to toy like....haters gonna hate.....lovers gonna love.....get them dirty and I'll change my mind.......car still looks awesome dude

Side note: Post #601 KI YAY!!!

RC Champion
    Yeah, it's always been said that white plastic unpainted, looks just like that... Unpainted white plastic

RC Champion
    I ended up cutting the front lip of the body off. I suspected I would have to as the lexan here was pretty thin at points and was not really intended to be left on. I still left the front over cut from spec, and it still looks decent.

I may get a chance to run it this coming weekend and get some picturs if I can get my buddy to drive.

RC Champion
    I took Rally-2 out for it maiden run tonight. I was actually just wanting to get some pictures of the newly trimmed front end, but said screw it, connected the battery and let it rip!

I was only using a 3s, but it had lots of power and tons of speed in the space I was running it. First impressions is it handles really well, as a rally car. in the loose back alley gravel it seemed to hook up pretty well with out a lot of slipping and sliding unless you wanted it to. Even then it would hold a drift as if Ken Block were driving it himself.

The Banditos worked pretty well in this application, and seem like it will serve well for a pavement to loose terrain tire. I'm sure it would give up some to an off road tire like the Derringer, but then it gains it back in pavement duties.

Steering was super responsive with the ultra fast .10sec servo, and I found myself chucking at how responsive and connected I felt to this car. Like I said, holding a power slide drift, or shooting in a narrow gap or point, was very precise. I was surprised with how well it felt right off the bench. I may need to make some adjustment after a few more packs, once I get to know this car, but so far, I'm really liking how it feels and responds. I can see this becoming my favorite basher due to it's rally car nature, being good on and off road.

I took the pictures myself as I was driving, so they aren't as good as if I was focused on just picture taking. I was actually able to throttle with my trigger finger and steer with my thumb while taking the shots. But then I had to be careful as it would quickly get moving faster than I could react.

Looking forward to more!

Here you can see how I cut the lip off the front

The calm before the storm

This car drifts like nothing else and feels like a extension of my mind

She's a lot dirtier than the pictures convey

This is why water proof systems are paramount to me... The ability is hose down after playing is a must.

The only thing better than cleaning with water after a bash is taking an air gun to it after the wash. Some times I take the air gun to it first, wash then air again

Almost like new

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    nice!! love the action shots
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Racer
    great pics viper. looks fantastic !

RC Qualifier
    Just awsome.....fantastic looking car in action....very life like...

RC Qualifier
    Looks great. Do you have waterproof servos in all your rc's? I'm thinking about switching over to a couple. Not because I run in water, just because I want the ease of cleaning it. My servo is the one part not waterproof. Actually, is the motor?

Been thinking about a SAV-sw-0231mg. Might need something a little mire powerful though.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    I took Rally-2 out for it maiden run tonight...
    I drooling all over myself here!!!!! Saying "Fantastic!" just isn't enough, ViperZ!

Right down to the matching antenna tube and cable strap...it's all those details that make a difference!

Can someone hand me another Kleenex?!?!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    nice!! love the action shots
    Thanks Humay, I really would have liked to get better ones, one day

Quote Originally Posted by chris.k View Post
    great pics viper. looks fantastic !
    Thanks Chris! The florescent green did really pop nicely in the evening light.

Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    Just awsome.....fantastic looking car in action....very life like...
    Thanks Simon! Now if only I could get a 1/8 interiour with driver

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
    Looks great. Do you have waterproof servos in all your rc's? I'm thinking about switching over to a couple. Not because I run in water, just because I want the ease of cleaning it. My servo is the one part not waterproof. Actually, is the motor?

Been thinking about a SAV-sw-0231mg. Might need something a little mire powerful though.
    Thanks Corey. Yes, the only non water proof is in the XO-1, but it is super fast at 0.08sec/60deg. Yeah the ability to just beable to clean with runnign water with out care is worth it's weight in gold to me. I'm not sur eif the motors are really water proof, but I don't think they really harm them. Back in the brushed days we would always beak in the Stock issued motors at races by submersing them completely in water and running a pack through them

I took my CC 1415 from my Ultimate apart at the start of the season, after a season of being fully submersed in water many times, it was nice and clean wiht no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTestDummy View Post
    I drooling all over myself here!!!!! Saying "Fantastic!" just isn't enough, ViperZ!

Right down to the matching antenna tube and cable strap...it's all those details that make a difference!

Can someone hand me another Kleenex?!?!
    Good Eyes, Thanks for noticing Crash! You make me LOL

RC Racer
    Thanks Guys! Yeah the white certainly looks more rally, and the black more GTR... The plastic of the wheels are a bit on the thin side as such i'm not sure I trust the for offroad bashing. Pavement, sure, so I ordered a set of White JConcepts to glue the Derringers on.

The white ones on the car came with the same tires as the black ones, which I'll tape up and glue on for general bashing use.
    my derringers arrived today and they seem to be too big for the wheels. shouldn't the tyre site flush on the outer rim ? i mean the diameter ?

RC Competitor
    On this side of Eternity, which means Texas for now
    Well done.

These are some good photos.
    What camera are you using?
    And, am I seeing a little editing or is it all in camera?

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Nice action and still shots ViperZ!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SilveradoTX View Post
    Well done.

I'm curious as to who is behind the camera........
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    my derringers arrived today and they seem to be too big for the wheels. shouldn't the tyre site flush on the outer rim ? i mean the diameter ?
    I just happened to get my JConcept wheels the other day and I noticed the same thing. Its a the Duratrax tires, as I tried a set of Proline Knuckles and a generic tire on the JC rims and they fit fine. The Duratrax will need to be rubber banded while gluing to hold the bead against the rim.

Excuse my messy bench as I'm just beginning my M3 projects

Here the Derringer is mounted on the JC rim (left), Derringer with generic tire (right)

Here the Derringer is mounted on the JC rim (bottom left), JC rim with generic tire(upper left), JC rim with Proline Knuckles (center) & Derringer on Generic rim (right). The Duratrax tires just don't seem to fit as well as the others.

Quote Originally Posted by SilveradoTX View Post
    Well done.

Thanks! I use a few D-SLR cameras, primarily a Nikon D600, and a Nikon D300, various lenses. I shoot in RAW, which is a digital negative format that requires post processing to render the JPG, which is the equivalent of developing, so yes you can say the pictures are edited, or processed.

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Nice action and still shots ViperZ!!!!

I'm curious as to who is behind the camera........
    Thanks Man! I was driving and shooting

RC Racer
    Thanks, glad it wasn't just me ! Annoying. Looks like they need an 83mm rim at a minimum. I have some generic rims aswell that fit perfect with the tires but the outer rim of the jconcepts is a bit less, from memory around 81 or something. I bought some thundertiger eb4 rims aswell and they have the exact same issue.

RC Champion
    Yeah, in gluing my Banditos to the generic black rims, I had to glue them over a few days periods, to let the glue set in and fill the gaps. I even switched over to thicker gap filling foam safe CA to fill the gap. It worked well, but the tires needed to be rubber banded as well during glue up.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I know your hands are full of other builds, (busy man) any new update?
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Champion
    I have a few projects going

I'm looking at getting back into 1/10 on road racing, so one of the projects is to build a car for that.

RC Racer
    Hey viper, what do you back your paint with before running it ?

RC Champion
    I used a automotive paint protector sheet that I cut strips off and place in rub areas. It's that clear sheet you see placed on the fronts of cars these days. I bought a roll of it at our Local Canadian Tire along time ago for other stuff, but I'm now out and can;t find it there. I have been using a clear duct tape like material that works, but is not as durable.

I may go look for some more of the paint protector at the new Tiger Automotive store in town, it's HUGE!

If I get my yardwork and chores done, I may get to go out running today
    Last edited by ViperZ; 05-24-2014 at 10:17 AM.

RC Racer
    Thanks. Do you spray on a protective layer of something after your paint coats aswell ? I've read some guys use some sort of sealer.

RC Champion

This car drifts like nothing else and feels like a extension of my mind

How good where those banditos on the dirt? Any problems with understeer on pavement?
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    Thanks. Do you spray on a protective layer of something after your paint coats aswell ? I've read some guys use some sort of sealer.
    No I haven't, but I have thought about that as well. A thick under coat rocker paint or polyurethane could be tried. I know some people brush on shoe goo.

I did find a big roll of the paint protector at the Tiger Automotive store. It's 5.5 inches x 12 feet

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    How good where those banditos on the dirt? Any problems with understeer on pavement?
    In dirt they are pretty good! I haven't ran it on pavement yet, maybe this weekend...

RC Champion
    No I haven't, but I have thought about that as well. A thick under coat rocker paint or polyurethane could be tried. I know some people brush on shoe goo.

I did find a big roll of the paint protector at the Tiger Automotive store. It's 5.5 inches x 12 feet

In dirt they are pretty good! I haven't ran it on pavement yet, maybe this weekend...
    The paint protector is a good idea, maybe some on the roof too. If you do run it on the pavement let me know how they do because I am sick and tired of the understeer with the street fighters, makes it feel like its FWD (I hate FWD....). What color sway bars are you running front and rear?
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    The paint protector is a good idea, maybe some on the roof too. If you do run it on the pavement let me know how they do because I am sick and tired of the understeer with the street fighters, makes it feel like its FWD (I hate FWD....). What color sway bars are you running front and rear?
    Will do, I'm actually surprized you are getting understeer with your 2400kv power system... You would think you could just throttle it to get over steer. Put this way, if the Street Fighters are understeering, I think the Banditos would even be worse due to the sticker compound... You would think I didn't have a problem over steering my SF's...

Got some new toys today to try...

Tekin RX8 ESC, T8i 2650kv sensored system, as well as a super speedy Hitec HS-8360TH servo 0.07sec/181oz

RC Qualifier
    Nice new toys! What car is that system going in? Rally 1 or 2ll

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    You will love the Tekin. I'm running the 1900kv on 4S in my Mugen. I also have a few Hitec servos and been real happy with them to. I haven't tried the one you got though. Let me know how it works out.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RadReptiles831 View Post
    Nice new toys! What car is that system going in? Rally 1 or 2ll
    Thanks! Seeing as it's not water proof, it would have to be Rally-1, given those 2 choices, but I have a plan

Was Rally-2II meant as Rally-3? I like the way you work!

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    You will love the Tekin. I'm running the 1900kv on 4S in my Mugen. I also have a few Hitec servos and been real happy with them to. I haven't tried the one you got though. Let me know how it works out.
    Awesome Digger! Glad to hear the lower kV T8i's are performing well. I'm looking forward to this Tekin system! Hitec makes great servos, I have many of them in my Pylon racing planes. They have great specs. I will report back on this one

RC Racer
    I have read all your rally build, and I love your build!
    I have a question tho, I have a rally but don't know if get 12mm aluminium hex adapters or the 17mm aluminium hex adapters, what are the benefits of going to 17mm hex? I saw you say that there is more variety of 17mm wheels and tires, if I do convert to 17mm what wheels and tires should I be searching for and know that it will fit without rubbing or something? With the 12mm I would be searching for shourt course wheels and tires right?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by subyhau View Post
    I have read all your rally build, and I love your build!
    I have a question tho, I have a rally but don't know if get 12mm aluminium hex adapters or the 17mm aluminium hex adapters, what are the benefits of going to 17mm hex? I saw you say that there is more variety of 17mm wheels and tires, if I do convert to 17mm what wheels and tires should I be searching for and know that it will fit without rubbing or something? With the 12mm I would be searching for shourt course wheels and tires right?
    Thanks for taking the time and posting Subyhu!

If you go the 17mm hub route, the wheels you need to look for are 1/8 buggy or On Road GT, they will all fit and are slightly narrower than the typical 2.2/3.0 wheel tire combo.

Correct, for the 12mm Short Course 2.2/3.0 are what you need. Good luck with it and certainly ask if you're not sure.

RC Racer
    Will do, I'm actually surprized you are getting understeer with your 2400kv power system... You would think you could just throttle it to get over steer. Put this way, if the Street Fighters are understeering, I think the Banditos would even be worse due to the sticker compound... You would think I didn't have a problem over steering my SF's...
    Yep, you're right i ran them today for the first time. On road the banditos are sticky , no chance of oversteer on stock motor. Very very grippy tyres.
    Last edited by Double G; 06-09-2014 at 08:15 AM.

RC Champion
    Thanks for that feedback Chris, I was thinking about it afterward and didn't;t know if I was thinking about it right.

However it makes sense if you want oversteer, get harder drift wheels, or make a set like 10Colins

RC Racer
    Just as a side note to this topic, we fit some derringers to my sons slash 4x4 aswell. It used to be fun and easy to drive on the road. Lots of oversteer and sliding around. Not now, if you try and slide now it will almost immediately traction roll. On dirt they are superb though. Absolutely awesome. We bashed the tripe out of thing on the weekend and am super impressed with duratrax so far. With the extra grip you have everything is now faster, feels like we put a different motor in it !

IMO it's going to be easier to break things now as you're carrying more speed into everything, jumps, turns, etc. I've never seen the car roll and tumble so hard when you don't land a jump or turn properly at our regular bashing spot and put this down to that extra speed.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! Seeing as it's not water proof, it would have to be Rally-1, given those 2 choices, but I have a plan

Was Rally-2II meant as Rally-3? I like the way you work!

I'm glad you got what I was trying to say. And I know how YOU work....lol. great builds so why not another

RC Champion
    Ha, Ha, Thanks! I chuckled after I re-read it

I have a few irons in the fire

RC Champion
    Took the two Rally's out bashing on pavement today. Both were running well and fast. Rally-2 was on a 3s to start. It has the Banditos and the Ford Focus body. It was pretty fast for a 3s system, but it was very touch at speed, even with dual rate and expo dialed in. Touchy in a sense that you really have to limit your speeds during turning. If you are going too fast and turn, it would traction roll. If you change directions too fast say left then right, at speed, it would traction roll....

I realize this will require more set up, but I can't say I'm a big fan of the Banditos on pavement. On loose dirt gravel, off road sure, but on pavement it way too sticky a tire for a higher CG car like the Rally or SC trucks. This type of grip isn't necessary as there is plenty of traction already... Compared to the on road Sweeps, the Banditos are much softer and does not allow controlled sliding, not my liking, too unrealistic. I'll be looking for something else for the Rally or keep them just for off road use.

Rally-1 set up as the GT8, was very fast and controllable, stuck to the road like glue even with the harder Sweep tires and behaved like a road car should. I didn't have to switch on dual rate or expo , and she behaved like a champ. very much like the XO-1. Power slides and quick momentum shifts from left to right rewarded a person rather than punish with a flip over. I liked this set up very much!

All was going well until I ran in to my foot trying to drive and get a speed reading with the radar gun.. Lets just say distracted driving accidents are a reality. I hit my left foot at full speed, ~102 kmh (63 mph)... That really hurt!!! Carnage from that is one broken A arm, shock cap, Female MIP half shaft, and a mangled body.. I have the parts on order already for the fix.

It was a good day over all, met a fellow RC out there that was running a Nitro buggy and a E-Revo Brushless.

I have video but will take a while to edit and segment.

Loaded for the outing

RC Champion
    Here is Rally-2 on a 3s system. It is plenty fast enough like this and was insane on a 4s, which I did not show here. Top speed of it on the 4s is was 100 km/h, slightly under Rally-1's

RC Champion
    Here is Rally-1, top speed ~103 km/h It felt really nice and was so controllable. I really didn't lay into the throttle to much as it's power was just explosive. I was just wanting to run in around. As shown, I ran over my foot/leg and did some damage. Nothing serious. I'm building a new 1/8 road car that has me very excited based on the way Rally-1 handles and feels.

RC Racer
    awesome video, that last one especially. what were you doing driving it towards you !! lol
    i concur about the banditos. way too sticky for road. they are alot of fun on short grass, gravel and dirt though at least !

RC Champion
    Thanks Chris! Not sure what I was thinking, other than getting it close for a reading...

As for the Banditos, yeah, I'm going to take them off and keep them for off road and wet weather driving. I have a few pairs of those cheap on road rubbers I'm going to run, I hope they will behave a lot better with less traction, allowing more neutral response to direction changes.