Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    RC Racer
    I think It looks fantastic, great job on all the details. Blue wheel nuts give a little contrast and since you have some underneath it works. Even the body clips have color. Big thumbs up and worth the wait.
    Wife says I have too may RC's I disagree!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    That is real slick.....I love the out come.....it looks so fresh and clean and from the pics you can't really tell the chrome spray nerfed on you......one criticism though....get those blue wheel nuts off and put the green ones on ....Lol....great job bing you are a style guru....always original and great individuality....
    Thanks Simon, I can't take all the credit for originality as I followed a few designs I found on the net, with my own added flair

I quite liked the blue wheel nuts, as I'm out of the green. I will have to rob them off the Ultimate or the XO-1. I was actually going to make a set of silver ones by de anodizing a set of blue ones, but I didn't have any Easy Off handy.

Quote Originally Posted by biggdogg1972 View Post
    I think It looks fantastic, great job on all the details. Blue wheel nuts give a little contrast and since you have some underneath it works. Even the body clips have color. Big thumbs up and worth the wait.
    Thanks man! Stay tuned as I will rob the greens off one of the other vehicles just to see.

I tried taping one of the Bandito tires with Hurricane tape. They don't seem to like it as the tires have a bunch of ribbing in them which may affect the weaving of the tape. I may have to try just regular duct tape.

Hurricane Tape. Its much stronger and lighter than duct tape, but didn't seem to like the ribbing in the tires.

RC Racer
    Have you ever tried to use fishing line around tires inside the ridges instead of taping? I've always wanted to try it, and I do have some fishing line in my garage but I haven't gotten around to it.

RC Champion
    Have you ever tried to use fishing line around tires inside the ridges instead of taping? I've always wanted to try it, and I do have some fishing line in my garage but I haven't gotten around to it.
    Thanks, No, I haven't. I have a big cob of Kevlar string that I could use with a bunch of shoe goo.. I seen somebody else do this, bit it wasn't very controlled. I going to try the duct tape.

Here are some pictures with the Green wheel nuts. I think like biggdogg said I like the contrast of the blue. Still the green is sort of color coordinated.

RC Champion
    Blue

RC Racer
    Superb job

RC Champion
    Thanks Chris!

Taped up the Banditos with regular duct tape, worked much better. I have wiped them down with alcohol and am letting them set. I'll glue them tomorrow and then balance them.

RC Racer
    I was thinking; one time around the tire secured with a square knot, then a drop of CA glue on the knot. On that bandito tire you'd get four bands around, since there are four grooves around the tire!! I have road rages and I would get two times around for the two grooves. You see what I'm thinking?

RC Champion
    Looks great bud! Perfect use of stickers too.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh the green wheel nuts that's better .....as for the originality I still think you nailed it.....bloody marvellous.....

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Well, here it is fresh from the paint booth, this morning. It all went pretty well with the exception of the Spaz Stix chrome stripes. They were looking great until I painted the black backer on and they turned spotty, mote like aluminum... Must not have like the paint I was using as previous results were pretty good. Oh-well, as a basher it will have to do.

The color is Parma Florescent green, and Parma Metallic black, Parma White and Spaz Stix Chrome.

This looks KILLER !!!!!!! Stellar color, and the decals rock!! Just enough without being gaudy! Even the body pins ROCK!! The paint really makes this body, as I wasn't too impressed with it clear. As Simon32man pointed out, though, you need to change the "hubcaps!"

Are the bumps on the bumper for a front proximity sensor?

When can we see her ripping up the pavement??

RC Qualifier
    Hey viper, I'm putting xo-1 diffs in my rally street car. Was hoping you could suggest a weight and brand of diff fluid to use? Or if not diff fluid then something else.

RC Champion
    I was thinking; one time around the tire secured with a square knot, then a drop of CA glue on the knot. On that bandito tire you'd get four bands around, since there are four grooves around the tire!! I have road rages and I would get two times around for the two grooves. You see what I'm thinking?
    I see what you are saying... Still I think a entire belt would be best. Thats why I was pumped about trying that weaved Hurricane Tape. The one I seen the perosn put quite few wraps of cord around the tire, however it was more willy nilly than uniform. You'll have to try it and let us know how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Looks great bud! Perfect use of stickers too.
    Thanks Sean! As always you are a great support!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh the green wheel nuts that's better .....as for the originality I still think you nailed it.....bloody marvellous.....
    Awesome, Thanks Simon! I will have to get some mor eof the Green ones and I'm looking forward to the silver ones.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTestDummy View Post
    This looks KILLER !!!!!!! Stellar color, and the decals rock!! Just enough without being gaudy! Even the body pins ROCK!! The paint really makes this body, as I wasn't too impressed with it clear. As Simon32man pointed out, though, you need to change the "hubcaps!"

Are the bumps on the bumper for a front proximity sensor?

When can we see her ripping up the pavement??
    Thanks Crash! I had to concur, the body itself isn't the best proportioned and really looked more station wagon when it was clear. With paint it looks more like a Focus rally car. in the front sensors. I never thought thats what they looked like, but di dwonder what they were on the real car.

Soon, once the snow is gone, and the pint has dryed so I can tape up the inside of the body. I'm just gluing up the tires and hope to get them balanced soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
    Hey viper, I'm putting xo-1 diffs in my rally street car. Was hoping you could suggest a weight and brand of diff fluid to use? Or if not diff fluid then something else.
    I'm not really well versed in this as I rebuilt my Ultimates front and back diffs with 50K stuff. I just happened to have it on hand. My undertanding is the Ultimate and Rally come packed with 30K front and 60K back.

So I glued the back side of the tires last night and will glue the fronts tonight.

RC Champion
    Some gluing action...

I found a water bottle to flip the tires inside out on so I could get the tape down nice and tight with out deformation the tire too much

Duct tape for belting

Gluing the back side. The elastics hold the tire bead against the rim while the glue sets up

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Another genius technique on taping tires
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Champion
    Thanks, I think

Glued the front sides last night, and taped the insides of the body for wear mark areas... Getting close, now if only it would quit snowing...

Like a real race car waiting for it's shoes

Last edited by ViperZ; 04-29-2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added photo

RC Qualifier
    Awesome pit picture awaiting tyres ..looks wicked

RC Competitor
    ViperZ - Excellent method of working on tires! I'm going to have to go to Walmart to source a proper sized bottle!

I'm total agreement with Simon on the pit photo! Just awesome!

RC Champion
    Awesome pit picture awaiting tyres ..looks wicked
    Thanks Simon! I love the UK spelling of tyre

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTestDummy View Post
    ViperZ - Excellent method of working on tires! I'm going to have to go to Walmart to source a proper sized bottle!

I'm total agreement with Simon on the pit photo! Just awesome!
    Thanks Man! Really apprecaite all the positive comments! Makes me want to paint some more ASAP

Yeah, the bottle really let me get the tape on nice, flat and uniform.

I did have reapply a second bead of gap filling CA glue today, as the rubber is not totally tight on the Ofna style channel set rims. Should be okay, I'll keep you all posted.

RC Champion
    Applied more glue to the tires tonight. While that was setting up, I turned some attention to Rally-1.

I needed to stiffen up the body to prevent it from flexing and hitting the ground up front, and to resist deflection at the back when the air flow is creating down force. It was pretty loose before, but now it's nice and tight, as well as being really solid.
    While I was at it I taped up the wear points to prevent paint burn through.

I shoe goo'ed foam to the front and back undersides of the body to help stiffen the whole assembly

Next up I'm going to gear up as last time I ran it I thought I could use more gear.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Wow!! I can't say it enough. Not only is this a fantastic car build, but beautiful photography man. Not to many people put the time and effort like you do. I'm way out jealous. Keep up the good work.

The Rally is one of my favorite road cars to drive. Don't get me wrong I dig the XO, its just nice being able to bash and not just do speed runs.

BTW the water bottle trick is ingenious.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    I really want to buy a focus body but I don't want to ruin it by painting it myself. I wish you could paint one for me.

RC Qualifier
    Yes the Rx box stand off is secured to the bottom at the chassis level.

Here is a post in my Ultimate thread where I recently did the same thing
    Any idea how long the standoff is on the rx box?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Wow!! I can't say it enough. Not only is this a fantastic car build, but beautiful photography man. Not to many people put the time and effort like you do. I'm way out jealous. Keep up the good work.

The Rally is one of my favorite road cars to drive. Don't get me wrong I dig the XO, its just nice being able to bash and not just do speed runs.

BTW the water bottle trick is ingenious.
    Thanks Digger! It's great to read that! I was just rereading your thread as well, digging on those Supersales tires and wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by RallyX3s View Post
    I really want to buy a focus body but I don't want to ruin it by painting it myself. I wish you could paint one for me.
    Thanks for the vote... If it was easier to do and ship, I would paint more bodies just to paint. I'll admit, it is a lot of work to do the job properly, as most times it does take time and effort... I have many clear bodies so I may start building up a collection of prepaints just to practice

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
    Any idea how long the standoff is on the rx box?
    Depending on where it's positioned, about 25mm.

Did some tire balancing tonight, and it all went well. I use a Dubro Propeller balancer. I find these things work the best as it has the least imparted frictional forces, and is easy to use add weights. I use self stick lead tape for weight. After a while you get a good feel for how much weight to add.

The technique is simple. Place the tire on the balancer, and let it settle to the heavy point, which will be the bottom (6 o-clock). Mark this with a Sharpie and then add weight to the opposite (180 degree) of the heavy side. Add or subtract weight until the mark and weight balances out to 9 & 3 o-clock position. That's it.

You can further refine and exact placement of the tape until the marks will settle at any o-clock position, but that's over kill as the weight will change as soon as you run it, or as the tires wear down. it's 3 & 9 is good enough as you are removing the major imbalance. I actually did get 2 tires that settled at any position.

Lets balance

Lead tape

Heavy point marked

Tape in place, tire is balanced

Runs nice and smooth

RC Qualifier
    What a brilliant piece of information on balancing....something I've learnt today..... Thanks Bing

RC Champion
    Excellent Simon, Thanks!

RC Competitor
    What a brilliant piece of information on balancing....something I've learnt today..... Thanks Bing
    Me, too !!

RC Champion
    Awesome guys, glad to know it helps somebody

Tried on some new wheels today for the more typical "Rally Car" look. The are the same rims as the black but white with the off road Derringers.

RC Competitor
    Tried on some new wheels today for the more typical "Rally Car" look. The are the same rims as the black but white with the off road Derringers.

Mmmmm, Mmmmmm, WOW! Looks great in white, too !!!!

RC Qualifier
    May I just say.....BEAUTIFUL!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I love that setup. Plus the green pops!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Thanks Guys! Yeah the white certainly looks more rally, and the black more GTR... The plastic of the wheels are a bit on the thin side as such i'm not sure I trust the for offroad bashing. Pavement, sure, so I ordered a set of White JConcepts to glue the Derringers on.

The white ones on the car came with the same tires as the black ones, which I'll tape up and glue on for general bashing use.
    Last edited by ViperZ; 05-01-2014 at 11:35 PM.

RC Racer
    I just bought those exact wheels ! lol

RC Champion
    Good Deal Chris. I'm interested in seeing how they look compared to the ones I have. The JConcepts don't have a lot of dish, and it made me wondering how putting them in the microwave to soften and adjust the offset would work ?

I made a post that made me think I should sum up the Rally Builds:

Rally-1

• Dyed Chassis Black
    • XO-1 Shock Towers
    • E Revo GTR Shocks
    • STRC Aluminum Caster Blocks
    • STRC Bearing Carriers Front & Back
    • MIP XD CVD Drive Shafts
    • MIP 17mm Hubs
    • Hot Racing HD Metallic Slipper Clutch
    • Hot Racing Aluminum Motor Mount
    • Tecknos Big Bone Drive Shaft
    • TRX Sway Bars
    • VG Racing Chassis Brace
    • STRC Steering Servo Saver
    • Proline Protrac Widened Lower A Arms
    • RPM Rod Ends
    • T-Works Titanium Extended Turnbuckles
    • Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2 ESC
    • Castle Creations 1512 2650 Kv Motor
    • Patriot Water proof High Torque Servo
    • Futaba R304SB Telemetry Receiver
    • TRX Extended Battery Mount

Rally-2

• Dyed Chassis Black
    • STRC Gun Metal Shock Towers
    • Proline Prospec Shocks
    • X0-1 Aluminum Caster Blocks
    • XO-1 Bearing Carriers Front & Back
    • XO-1 CVD Drive Shafts
    • XO-1 17mm Hubs
    • Hot Racing HD Metallic Slipper Clutch
    • Hot Racing Aluminum Motor Mount
    • Hot Racing Sway Bars
    • VG Racing Chassis Brace
    • STRC Steering Servo Saver
    • RPM Lower A Arms
    • RPM Rod Ends
    • Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2 ESC
    • Castle Creations 1512 2650 Kv Motor
    • Savox SW-1211 Water proof High Speed Servo
    • Futaba R304SB Telemetry Receiver
    • TRX Extended Battery Mount

I think thats the major stuff, seeing this made me realize there are a few things I want to do more to Rally-1
    Last edited by ViperZ; 05-03-2014 at 10:21 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    nice write-up on summing it up ViperZ, makes it easy to see what you have in there
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Qualifier
    We already knew what you had in both of these! A lot of $$$$$! Lol. Keep up the great work. My only complaint is I wish you had done two separate threads. One for each rally.

RC Champion
    Thanks guys!

@ Cory! It's not that much, compared to some other hobbies I thought of a separate thread, but then decided just better to have it all in one concise, comprehensive location, rather then all over as it would get.

RC Qualifier
    That is some awesome parts list.....really like how you've used different items along the builds....genius work.....and as for the white rims I'm gonna have to be a hater...Lol...... But you know I love your work bing!!!!!..... Thanks for all your information and detailed pics.... Truely professional reading as if I bought a publication manual....

RC Champion
    Thanks Simon

it's your prerogative to be a hater if you want on the rims I'm more a fan of the black myself, but if you google rally car racing, white rims are so common, I had to do it as well Especially when they are so easy to change, and have around.

RC Competitor
    The white will show its scars pretty quick, but it works perfectly for this body! They would look odd on a dark-schemed body. The spoke pattern is awesome, though! What are the rims again, I couldn't find the name on this page?

Side note: Post #600 - YIPPEE!!!