RC Qualifier

LST diff attaching to driveshaft

I'm having major issues attaching the rear LST diff to my traxxas CVD centre drive shaft.

Originally I used the LST coupling and put a pin through the coupling and CVD, plus a washer either side to take the slop out and held the pin in with heat shrink.

But the heat shrink gets worn away really quickly, the pin falls out and wears a groove through the plastic surrounding and the drive shaft, being no longer connected to the rear diff, means the rear wheels stop driving. This had happened a few times already and I fixed it again this morning, but today it only lasted 30mins before it happened again and I lost rear drive again!

So how do I attach the centre drive shaft to the LST diffs so that the pin can't come out?????

Bash it like someone else has to fix it!

RC Qualifier
    i was also struggling over this issue back then.

make the decision and buy the kershaw design center dogbones or the revo. be sure to get the correct lengths, email them with your setup. its cheap and you ll forget about it.

i myself foun an hpi dogbone that fitted the rear, but for the fron one i couldnt find a short proper one so i ordered
    <3 Traxxas~Align~Ducati~Lib-tech~JacksonGtrs <3

RC Qualifier
    Guessing you mean this

http://www.kershawdesigns.com/E-Revo-DogBoneLST.htm

SOLD OUT!!

RC Qualifier
    Other options?

For those running LST diffs and traxxas steel centre drive shafts, how do you connect the drive shaft to the LST diffs???

RC Champion
    Go back to the stock sliders and use RCM 8mm yokes at the diffs.

RC Qualifier
    RCM only has one coupler and at $12.50 plus $40.50 I can't justify $52.50 for one of these

RC Champion
    Ouch I wouldn't either. What's the $40.5 from? Shipping to the moon?

RC Qualifier
    Yup, shipping to the Netherlands was also something like 35$... But i really wanted the drive cups, and im used to these used shipping rates as most rc stuff in the Netherlands is almost twice the price of the same parts on ebay..

You could also use summit shafts? I thought there was a mod to make them work. Traxxas cvds should also work, mitch316 has it explained in his thread.

RC Qualifier
    Shipping to Western Australia = $40.50

Mitch uses the shrink wrap to hold the pin in from memory but this is not working for me at all! I'll go back and check his thread again but I'm pretty sure that's what he does.

Either way - RCM only has one and Kershaw is sold out of the Revo to LST centre dog bones.

RC Qualifier
    Take an aluminum soda can and cut a thin strip about 3mm wide and just a bit shorter than the circumference of the coupler, bend it around the coupler over the pin. Tape it in place then cover with heatshrink.

RC Qualifier
    Ok so with Kershaw Designs sold out of the E-revo dog bone set and Dan emailed me and told me that they wont be getting anymore in, plus RC monster only having 1 of the 8mm couplers (plus postage is over $40 to Australia anyway) I have decided to cut up an Aluminium Coke can and try 65535's suggestion.

I have to admit I am sceptical because the issue I have been facing is the heat shrink wearing away and the pin falling out, so perhaps the heat shrink will wear away, then the tape wear away causing the aluminium strip to come loose as nothing is holding it on anymore and I am back to square one.

But I will give it a go, because there is no alternative!!!

RC Qualifier
    im running a kershaws dogbone kit with lst diffs and I think I got rc monster 8mm cups a long time ago
    and I got a spare front kershaws dogbone

y are some shops stopping to make stuff for the erevo
    is it getting a bad reputation with all the iq tx's failing and the diffs not holding up to the power

RC Qualifier
    Yep, STRC also seemed to completely stopped producing Revo parts... And so have many more shops.

I got the kershaw kit too, still need to install them though. I thought summit axles would also fit the lst diff with some mods?

RC Qualifier
    I guess traxxas is not listening to the people on these forums but luckily there is plenthy of noobs buying the erevo and running 4s
    and not having issues to worry about breaking diffs etc etc

RC Qualifier
    Just finished attaching my Traxxas centre CVD's to my LST diffs for the fourth time!!
    This time I did as 65535 suggested and put a ring of aluminium can around the coupler to cover the pin, then taped over that, then shrink wrapped over that. Went for a bash straight after and it held up fine! But the grub screw holding my front centre CVD to the tranny came out so I lost front drive and panicked thinking that my front pin had done the same as the rear and I was going to have to coke can mod the front as well

Yeah I am definitely still in the market for some dogbone centre shafts of Revo couplers to make my attachments more permanent but I am hoping it'll hold for now!!

RC Qualifier
    mate u need to bring out the big stick welder and weld that grubber to the cup hehehe
    I think everyone is going out and buying losi rc cars

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshow View Post
    mate u need to bring out the big stick welder and weld that grubber to the cup hehehe
    I think everyone is going out and buying losi rc cars
    Took my centre skid plate off to put a new grub screw in the front centre CVD to transmission connection and noticed that my rear CVD connection is shredded already. It is still holding, but the shrink wrap is all torn up so it is only a matter of time before the tape and aluminium can strip comes off, the pin falls out and I lose rear drive AGAIN!! Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!

RC Qualifier
    hey. another idea is to drill the steel 5mm traxxas part of the cvd to 8mm so that it fits the diff.
    <3 Traxxas~Align~Ducati~Lib-tech~JacksonGtrs <3

RC Qualifier
    ive never had problems with grub screws coming out
    I use traxxas original grub screws that pass all the way thru
    when I was using the short grub screws sometimes they would come out so I would try to drill a hole all way thru shaft so I can use the traxxas grub screw

but what I did have to do is machine down the back face of the drive cup as it rubbed on the front face of the losi diff housing
    I don't clean my erevo much and it doesn't break often unless I run head on into a jump after jumping from another jump at bmx park and recently transmission has failed but that's ok for orig trans from 3 years ago
    the only bad thing with my setup is the rpm arms flexing and bending the losi axles everything else seems ok

RC Qualifier
    So I emailed RC Monster and Mike there was FANTASTIC!!

He told they have more 8mm Revo Couplers in stock AND he is able to post them to me in Australia via 1st class postage (no tracking, no insurance) for just $15!!

This means that I have bought two couplers and had them posted for 20c less than just the postage before!!!!!!

Stoked & so happy with RC monsters customer service from Mike!!

Wish I could say the same about Kershaw Designs - but have had very poor customer service and experience with them!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ErbeSumm View Post
    RCM only has one coupler and at $12.50 plus $40.50 I can't justify $52.50 for one of these

i just bought this piece, does this still require a heat shrink to keep the pin in place???

RC Qualifier
    I just replied to your other post but NO it doesn't require the pin!!
    As you can see in the pic - NO PIN

Bash it like someone else is doing the wrenching!

RC Competitor
    Old thread bump .. Yup , I've been reading and came across this and I have been having the same issue. Shrink wrap does not hold over the long haul. At least not for me. The tin can idea is another jerry rig as well. Not gonna last. So weld it and be done with it forever. All you need is four tiny little spot welds on the ends of the pins and its good. If you can't, your local welder should be able to do it in a flash and for not much at all. Read some other guys doing it but could not find any photos to reference so here are a few..... Losi drive coupler to Traxxas CVD mod.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Mapleman1; 06-20-2014 at 09:57 PM.

That sounds good, but if you need to replace the steel shaft? Will you have to buy the diff cup again? Don't think that an be des older..I guess those cups are 8mm? What about the pin size hole does the stock pin fit or you had to drill a new hole?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NFS View Post
    That sounds good, but if you need to replace the steel shaft? Will you have to buy the diff cup again? Don't think that an be des older..I guess those cups are 8mm? What about the pin size hole does the stock pin fit or you had to drill a new hole?
    Ya it's a one time deal. If I need to replace the shaft I would have to buy new diff drive yokes. Not a big deal I think they were 6 or 8 bucks each. I used the same pin and washers everyone else doing this mod is using. The pin is LOSB3505 and the yokes are 8mm LOSB3541. There are already four holes in each yoke and the pin is the correct diameter and length. I guess if I had to take it apart I could use the other two holes to weld it the second time but I would probably just buy new yokes.

gotcha, looks like a good solution. I have RCM 8mm cups on the losi diffs side, a 142mm dog bone on the rear, and traxxas steel cvd at front, haven't run it yet, hopefully it works if not will do what you mentioned.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NFS View Post
    gotcha, looks like a good solution. I have RCM 8mm cups on the losi diffs side, a 142mm dog bone on the rear, and traxxas steel cvd at front, haven't run it yet, hopefully it works if not will do what you mentioned.
    I think you'll be fine, I wanted to use the Traxxas CVD's so this is how everyone else was doing it. With the RCM cups you can't use the the CVD' s I believe. Question on the RCM cups, did you have to drill a hole in the output shaft on the diff for the threaded pin to slide through ? With my set up I can use the correct grub screw that comes with the losi drive yoke. No drilling required.

No drilling required, it has a big grub screw that fits perfect on the losi pinion, it doesn't go through though. I thought about drilling the traxxas cup from the steel cvd's to make it fit on the losi pinion, what do you think about this ?

RC Competitor
    In the pics above it looks like it the RCM cup has a threaded pin that goes through the diff out put shaft just like the stock Traxxas set up , that's why I asked. You could drill the CVD cup out to 8mm but again the Traxxas CVD yoke has the threaded pin that is designed to go through the diff output shaft. Seems like it would be hard to get the drill hole in the exact correct spot but ya it could be done that way for sure. Follow me on all of that??

This is what I have on mine..it doesn't go through, but you can use two grub screws if you want. I don't think that going to drill the cup just thought about it as a possibility, the bigger grub screw need it to match on the pinion will be the hardest part. I prefer to do what you did if mines fail. just found this thread. it seems it works but it is not perfect.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...enter-dogbones

Last edited by NFS; 06-21-2014 at 10:32 AM.

RC Competitor
    Ahh got ya, different part , I was thinking you had the same one as pictured so I was a bit confused Ive got it now

RC Qualifier
    I ended up tack welding the pins in place when i did the lst2 conversion. It's been holding up great with no loss of the pin, but I would rather do this differently.
    Revo 3.3, EMBE 6s, ERBE 6s (x2), Summit 4s

RC Qualifier
    Just an update... I have the modded center shafts out because I am installing a 1/8th scale center diff and guess what? The rear coupling is almost completely worn out. I just in the mail the KD center shafts for the LST diffs and I am going to try those.
    Revo 3.3, EMBE 6s, ERBE 6s (x2), Summit 4s

Why not use a 8mm bore drive cup?
    UE, HPI(#86277), or RC Monster(if he makes more) all have them.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFYL1&P=7
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!