RC Racer

Telemetry temp sensor placement

Which cooling fin on the cooling head should the temp sensor go in?

The lowest cooling fin and not directly over the exhaust port--if I recall it should be 90 to it.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Cool. That's what I've always done. Had it apart so I figured I'd double check. Thanks

Here you go:

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...p%20Sensor.pdf

IMO, it goes on the opposite side of the exhaust port...
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

This is what I was basing my answer off of: http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...t-060803_0.pdf
    The independent gauge says 90 whereas the telemetry does not say but shows a picture where the sensor could be anywhere except above the port. Don't see why there would be a difference between the two sensors except what it plugs in to. IMHO the area above the exhaust is the hottest and above the carb is coolest and the best place is in the middle.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    i would not even use a telemetry sensor, if you take a temp gun and check the temps after a run you will see the sensor hooked to the truck will give you a much different reading they the temp gun. this issue has been around for awhile alot of people do not even use the telemetry set up these days, being that there so far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparse Tastic View Post
    i would not even use a telemetry sensor, if you take a temp gun and check the temps after a run you will see the sensor hooked to the truck will give you a much different reading they the temp gun. this issue has been around for awhile a lot of people do not even use the telemetry set up these days, being that there so far off.
    A lot of people don't read the manual for the laser temp gun and they don't use it properly... So, maybe the laser temp gun is far off too... Emissivity changes with the aluminum type/color and measurement distance... Also changes if you're measuring temps on other materials... Take a look at the Duratrax manual so you can understand what I'm talking about:

http://manuals.hobbico.com/dtx/dtxp3100-manual-v1_1.pdf

Telemetry temp sensors don't have that problem, they measure temperature from any material, that's it. They can be off due to manufacturer specs, but once you correct that by software, they are pretty much accurate...

Either way, no one takes the time to read the manual and follow the proper instructions so that's why you get different readings...
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

There is no absolute correct spot/position to place the temp loop sensor, you have to experiment and find the best location.

Telemetry heat sensors for nitro engines will vary greatly in the readout depending on where and how the sensor is placed on the cooling head.

Comparing readings with a quality IR temp gun I have found that the tighter the better for the temp loop and usually 90 degrees off the exhaust port will give the most consistent reading compared to the IR gun. (I use an extra swedge to keep the loop snugly in place) I then adjust the loop up a fin or 2 on the cooling head if the telemetry reading is higher than the IR reading until I get the closest consistent reading between the two.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Racer
    Wow didn't mean for this to turn into a battle of wits. All I was looking for was what cooling fin to put the temp sensor in. In my experience the telemetry says the same thing my temp gun says. While using Traxxas telemetry and the application I can set an alarm so when the temp reaches my set temp it goes off, which a temp gun cannot do.

Double G answered my question almost a month ago. If I could've deleted my post I would've since I've gotten the info I needed, everything else is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Double G; 09-05-2013 at 01:54 PM.