RC Competitor

Project T(rophy)-MAXX

well this project all started when a buddy of mine picked up an axial crawler. while it looked fun, it was still too slow in stock RTR form to do anything else but, it was intended for crawling and not taking a corner at 20 mph and i understand that. so i thought "hey, if i can have solid axle in the back while leaving independent suspension in the front, it would be awesome like scale trophy/sc trucks. That was only for a moment and was forgotten for a few weeks.

One day we were wrenching on our trucks and he had his axial wraith all torn apart and i was looking at the bottom plate of the axial that connected all the upper and lower links to the diff assembly. i said to him " Hey it would be funny if this plate fits under the braces" and i flipped my flm maxx and put it under the braces. to our amazement it just slid right in.. perfectly as if intended from the factory. this peaked my interest to make something a little bit more scale-ish. i knew i had a maxx roller fully prepped and maintained with no motor. it was also a narrow maxx so i can probably fit a sct body on without trimming the a arms too much.

i have seen electric conversions similar to this with slash chassy's after much looking around couldn't find anything that was done with a nitro so i believe it makes it just as much more unique.

so my project began and here are some pictures. i don't have time to work on it on the weekdays. so my progress will be slow but i do have most of the major parts done so enjoy.

let me know if you love it, hate it, despise it, what i can improve on. comments and criticism all are welcome as it will just help me improve.

well here is the progress i have made so far:

started with:

rear bulk assembly off:

test fit axial assembly with links:

Cut braces to accommodate the axial assembly:

the bottom plate is held on by m3 screws and are being held on just by pressure from screwing the screws on to the braces. it's just for a mock up so when i have all the measurements down, i will start drilling into the braces.

assembled diff assembly from ebay. converted the shortmaxx drive shafts to use on the yokes for the output for the tranny and input for the diffs. also put a small piece of heatshrink to help the strength of the outer shaft from cracking.:

test fit with the plate, lower and upper linkages, shafts and diff assembly all put together(junk motor to visualize the mounting of motor,linkages, exhaust, etc...):

Last edited by SuperPanda; 08-12-2013 at 08:47 AM.

RC Racer
    I think it's a cool idea. One thing I noticed is that with the axle so far out the rear of the chassis.... There's no way to mount shocks. I would try moving it farther forward to make it look a little bit more scale and allow the figment of shocks.

RC Competitor

continued:

shocks mounted for templates:

started main plate templates:

i didn't like the look of those plates so started a new design all from cardboard:

made a wheel bed template like trophy trucks to put some spares on the back of the truck to make it look more scale:

marked where i wanted to put all the screws and braces:

RC Racer
    Oh ok now it's looking good. This should be a cool project.

RC Competitor

continued:

ordered some 1/8 thick 6061 T6 aluminum plates to cut out from templates. and some 1x1/2" aluminum angle stock. drew out the templates, and started to cut... my hands were so bruised from cutting these things... ouch. but here's how they came out:

drilled some more holes to accommodate more moutning options:

Made the connecting plates:

drilled and mounted to chassy:

all measured and drilled and installed onto the chassy:

i just have to start cutting the wheel beds for the back and get the right rods to connect the 2 plates together.

after that i just have to figure out an exhaust route. i have to get a body after that and measure the wheelbase and cut the body to fit but it's a 13.81 inch wheel base as of now so an sct body won't really need to be trimmed much.

the width i will have to research on some extenders for the back. but this is after the body so i can fit the front to the body first and then measure the front width and match the back to that.

anyways thanks for looking

RC Racer

Project T(rophy)-MAXX

For adapters for the back I'd look at rc4wd and eBay. There's quite a few axial based MT's so it should be easy to find adapters.

Might want some hardened gears also. The stock axial gears may not be able to handle the power you're going to put thru them.

RC Competitor
    thanks vw juice.. i will look into rc4wd. i know they have many scale stuff but this is still a "budget build" so i might go look at a cheaper route. but i will definitely look into that.

about the diffs. my friend put a mediocre brushless and ran 3s on it. it has held up fine. but his motor got too hot... i think it was a 5 turn sensorless 550 size motor? im not really sure though so i will have to ask him.

anyway i will be putting a 2.5r in this so it won't have massive torque like brushless system so im sure it will hold it's ground.

RC Racer
    Oh they should be fine with a 2.5R. A 3.3 might be too much.

RC Competitor
    yep... this truck's main purpose is to see if i can make it handle like a scale sct... it just looks awesome how the wheels and tires look when scale sct's go over bumps, jumps, and drifts. it doesn't have to go fast.. i might gear it down so i can have more low end to pull out the rear a lot. top end i really dont' care about on this truck.

and if time and money permits i might even try to put a summit locking diff on the front so i can make it " kind of " crawl " LOL. but that is just an idea...

RC Racer
    I think it'll look cool when going over jumps and the rear axle drops down like in the real trucks. I've thought about the slash conversion kit just because it looks so cool. A maxx based truck could be a lot of fun.

RC Qualifier
    My wraith axles have held up pretty good, and that's being ran with 2.2 paddles. Held up to a CC 1406 5700kv and just swapped in my velinion motor from my slash. Haven't ran it with the velinion yet, But they do make some HD ring and pinions. They should have 3 different gearing options for you to choose from, want to say they are like 30 bucks or around that....

But great looking build, def gonna keep track. Way to think out fo the box, and I like the extended length!
    What you plan on running for a body?

RC Competitor
    vw: yep, that's mostly why im building the truck.. to have crazy fun

Bomber: yep saw it in the manual, but the stock gearing which i believe it to be 2.92:1 ratio is close to the tmaxx diff ratio of 2.85:1 so i will see how they hold up first.. i don't think i need to go to hd gearing just yet... i know it won't spin at the same speed but i don't think it will hurt it.

ahh the body, i will probably get something used to measure up all the stuff and see how it runs so i can trash it... once everything is dialed in, i might go for a proline high flow or a jconcepts f series sct body.

does anyone know if stampedes use a 5mm stub axle? im thinking of getting some hex hub extenders for the back of the truck and i've found some for the stampede. its also a 12mm to 14mm adapter too so kinda kills 2 birds with one stone

thanks
    Last edited by SuperPanda; 08-12-2013 at 11:40 AM.

RC Competitor

updates

i got axial 87.5 links to use as the links for the two top plates, but also needed a 2mm washer to fit perfectly. also mounted the exhaust where it will be. ziptied the battery to a location which i feel would help weight balance. installed a new spring setup to the traxxas ultra shocks.

got 72mm turnbuckles but it was still too long so cut them down about 15 mm total length on each turnbuckle

i mounted up the rear width of the trophy maxx after mounting 12mm sct tires on it. Measured and cut to the length of the arms, shafts to be the same as the rear

New Body... need to measure and redrill mount holes to meet wheels in center. had to drill new holes into the tower post as it was too high..

Measured and drilled...

i know the rear ride height will drop as i still need to cut the wheel bed, get 2 more tires and wheels to mount onto that wheel bed, get a custom header sown up, and maybe a bumper. once everything is in, the rear should sag a bit more. so i am going to leave it as is. after everything is put together and then i can probably change the ride height if i need to.

RC Competitor

more pictures.

Front

Back

articulation shots:

Lookin good, what engine are thinking of running?
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    Looks sweet. Like the idea of the solid rear axle. I did an 1/8th scale short course conversion on one of my maxxes.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-a-new-project...

I may just have to build a solid axle maxx as a crawler? I dont know but love the truck!
    T-maxx 2.5 | T-maxx 3.3 | T-maxx pro.15

RC Competitor
    Wildman: im looking around for a 2.5, don't need the torque.. i put it on the scale as is right now with the mock up engine and body and it weighed in at 6.83 lbs. it will probably be under 8 lbs when its all done. so i don't need the torque.

Leadfootedracer: thanks, yes i saw your build, you should post a vid. i actually got the 72mm length turnbuckles from you. thanks for that.

i might try crawling on the hill i have in my backyard to see and maybe compare it with a crawler although i know it won't do nearly as well im sure better than a MT. i have a diff lock spool and i may put it in the front to try crawling with this ( rear already comes locked).

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperPanda View Post
    Wildman: im looking around for a 2.5, don't need the torque.. i put it on the scale as is right now with the mock up engine and body and it weighed in at 6.83 lbs. it will probably be under 8 lbs when its all done. so i don't need the torque.

Leadfootedracer: thanks, yes i saw your build, you should post a vid. i actually got the 72mm length turnbuckles from you. thanks for that.

i might try crawling on the hill i have in my backyard to see and maybe compare it with a crawler although i know it won't do nearly as well im sure better than a MT. i have a diff lock spool and i may put it in the front to try crawling with this ( rear already comes locked).
    Havent really put any run time on it since its completion. I will see what I can do about taking it out this weekend. Would love to take it to the track, but my friends suck and dont want to play anymore.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadFootedRacer View Post
    Havent really put any run time on it since its completion. I will see what I can do about taking it out this weekend. Would love to take it to the track, but my friends suck and dont want to play anymore.
    haha tell me about it, no one runs nitro, and the place where they do is too far for me to even visit. time is of constraint most of the time. wish i had more time to work on this project too

That sucks, I'm lucky to have several places close to me that I can run at with my nitro's, but getting together with others is still a pain, they always have an excuse not to go run.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    That really came out nice. Im curious about the rear shocks. when the rear axle is at an angle, do the shocks pull in toward the center of the axle since they are set up at such a vertical angle. If that question doesnt make sense, I apologize. I have the question in my head but its a bit different putting it down in words Haha. You did a good job and I would hate to hear that your first bash session resulted in bent shock shafts.
    Supermaxx, rusty 3.3, savage xl

RC Competitor
    wildman: yea, at least you are lucky, i got complaints from neighbors and had to go to a nearby park. it's not a playgound it's all grass and boulders laying around, but there are still many kids around. they start chasing the r/cs and it gets really hard to do WOT runs. afraid i might hit them.

Skrii: i understand what you are saying, yea they go straight up and down, but is at an angle, from front to back.... it's something i should try out in the rear world... see what i can do, do a few barrel rolls, go off high jumps, drop it off my roof to test the strength and weak points. i have about 30 of these ultra shocks NEW, pulled from a RTR that was on ebay for about 15 bucks so i bought it on a whim. mainly i bought thinking i would have use for it. i also have 2 big bores that need a rebuild so once i get a good setup i will throw those on to see how it does.

thanks for the compliment guys... gonna try and cut out my wheel beds tomorrow.

RC Racer
    Just another thing to point out, is the ride height. I dont know what your actual intensions are, bur with mine I wanted a very realistic look. I did everyrhing I could to get the truck to sit where it does, and I noticed yours was a little higher. If thats the look your after, you nailed it. Not trying to nit-pick, just a little constructive criticism.

RC Champion
    I think it looks amazing.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Racer
    Seeing this makes me want to start another 1-off build. The sctmaxx needs a little fine tuning, but I do have a spare running 2.5 maxx... just not sure what.

RC Competitor
    Thanks revoman!

leadfootedRacer: yea that's not how it sits atm, it's actually sits better now after mounting the body mounts for the rear. I'll post some pictures tomorrow and I know what you mean by high. I know i said sct somewhere up there but i wanted it to be more of a trophy truck. The trophy trucks , correct if I'm wrong have alonger wheel travel and also a little higher at rest. But with all that said it will also depend on which truck you are looking at also. Another reason why I can't lower the front more is it will rub on the body at full depression even at that height. The rear looks about right now.

Btw go and start a project. I know running rcs are fun but 2/3 of it come from the build for me.
    Last edited by SuperPanda; 08-23-2013 at 10:04 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperPanda View Post
    Thanks revoman!

leadfootedRacer: yea that's not how it sits atm, it's actually sits better now after mounting the body mounts for the rear. I'll post some pictures tomorrow and I know what you mean by high. I know i said sct somewhere up there but i wanted it to be more of a trophy truck. The trophy trucks , correct if I'm wrong have alonger wheel travel and also a little higher at rest. But with all that said it will also depend on which truck you are looking at also. Another reason why I can't lower the front more is it will rub on the body at full depression even at that height. The rear looks about right now.

Btw go and start a project. I know running rcs are fun but 2/3 of it come from the build for me.
    Same here. I have more fun looking at hundreds of parts on a table versus running my trucks. I see what you mean with the rub. Ive got wear marks on my body in all 4 corners from the top of the tire lightly rubbing the body.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadFootedRacer View Post
    Same here. I have more fun looking at hundreds of parts on a table versus running my trucks. I see what you mean with the rub. Ive got wear marks on my body in all 4 corners from the top of the tire lightly rubbing the body.
    yep, also hunting for them parts are fun too. although sometimes the wait is long, it makes it look to my wife that im spending my money wisely! lol

more pics at full rest from full depression, and with the body mounts for the rear put on...

the rear wheels are fully centered but i guess the angle i shot that picture makes it look the wheels are more front than center

now im going to go and get my wheel beds cut...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    now here's something different, I like it!! great build, keep it up.
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Qualifier
    Love it! Keep up the great work!
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

RC Competitor
    THANKS humayrarakongkinaon and wirgej38

wheel beds cut... i am still not decided on if i want to put the wheels on these vertically or horizontally, but that's later anyways.

drilled and mounted, drilled out some new holes on the wheel bed for the exhaust hanger. put 3 there so i can choose a good location.

mounted the exhaust and it seems it will do just fine in the center. i will probably get an tube to route the exhaust directly outback.

one thing i forgot to do was measure the length of the wheel bed plate but as it turned out, it was perfect. fit right at the end of the body...

RC Competitor
    got a few things in.

first off, i changed out the upper arms to rpm short maxx arms. first reason is for the obvious strength, second is i didnt' compensate for the hex adapters pushing the offset out more so i remeasured to match the width of the front to the back. it's spot on now, and also the extra meat these arms carry helps out more for the pillow balls.

comparison

both arms

i was also messing around with the suspension and i think i got my desired setup for now... until i do my real test run.

got a new trx 2.5 in it now... setup the linkages. picked up the motor for a really good price.. i was planning on getting a china motor like SH, and so on but lets just say i paid less than what i was gonna pay for a .18 SH motor

and put on my neon green exhaust deflector so all the oil doesn't splatter all over the solid axle

i asked Snookman about an exhaust layout i saw on one of his builds. he used 1/2 inch copper tubing. i got a few from the LHS but just can't seem to find a good layout. angles are too shallow to fit 90* piping anywhere so i was wandering the web and saw the slayer header for the trx motors. it seemed the perfect angle which my exhaust now sits so i ordered one. i will have to cut it but it should work just fine putting a silicone coupler on it.

i have more wheels on order for the wheel bed. and some bumpers to put on the back to complete the look. only things i need now is a switch to mount onto the chassy somewhere for the batteries and i think it's ready to run.

RC Racer
    That's coming along pretty good.
    For the header, if the slayer one doesn't work than you can use the bras pipe and bend it too fit.

RC poster

this is awesome!

Have you had trouble with the different gearing? I mean the tmaxx front diff and the axial rear. This exact project has been in my head for months. Looks awesome, and i hope to see the same thing sitting on my bench soon!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SmittysGarage View Post
    Have you had trouble with the different gearing? I mean the tmaxx front diff and the axial rear. This exact project has been in my head for months. Looks awesome, and i hope to see the same thing sitting on my bench soon!
    actually i have not... it runs like a champ. no issues. too fast most of the time to my liking if you ask me. i will have to get some hub extenders for the back because when it hits second it just goes all out of control which is fun but hard on the body and other parts of the truck. i already broke a lower control arm in the front because of the lack of material from cutting. i bent both rear shocks hit boulder at almost top speed steering away from a dog chasing after it. but all in all, 2.5 is a beast in this truck. handling isn't to my liking yet but havent had the time to tune it. but it does what i want it to. just have to really be careful getting trigger happy.

RC Competitor

for those who are still interested...

these are the latest pics, finished breaking it in and went to have some fun... updates from the last post with pics is i have the spare tire mounted and front and rear bumpers on.

had a lot of issues with the old ez start module not lighting up the glow plug so i just ditched those wires and just left the ez start motor just to turn it over. ( saved a lot of finger pain lol )

gotta get a few more parts to get it to my liking but i think we are almost there.

RC Qualifier
    Wow this is really cool! I'm currently attempting something similar with my 2wd slash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Competitor
    thanks, yea a lot of people seem to do it with the slash...

RC Racer
    Did you finish this truck? Any video?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for bringing this fourm back BigJon01! This project looks sweet!