Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

My almost brand new Summit

Hey guys!
    Just got my first Traxxas RC , looks brand new.
    I've been looking at this truck since I got the MT4-G3 2 years ago but the price kept me away from it.

Since then I sold my MT4, bought an MBX6 Eco, sold it too and then got A D8T that I converted to brushless. Just sold it also to get this new truck ... I like changing projects and also was fed up of poor part support here in Europe.
    So here is my Summit, stock. For the moment I want to keep it that way, expecting new 7600 lipos soon.
    I'll see later if going brushless is worth it or not.

For the moment just changed the shock oil to 45WT and hardened the rear suspension with the existing rings.

So far love it! Just hope I don't break parts all the time

RC Racer
    Nice, welcome to the club.
    Slash 4x4 and 10 other Models. Too Much !

RC Champion
    Welcome to the Summit Club

You won't break parts very often. At least if you don't go brushless. The Summit is pretty durable.

On my summit i left everything stock, got some good 2s lipos and now i also ordered the double orange springs for the rear to make suspension a little stiffer.

The MT4 G3 tires will be pretty good for bashing.

Welcome to the Summit club! I hope you enjoy your Summit!
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys!
    Surfing though option parts I found Kershaw Design. I love their options for the Summit.
    http://kershawdesigns.com/Products-Summit.htm
    Few questions:

what is the difference between the Dewalt 820 & the 700 HO motor?
    Is the difference with stock motor that huge ? Anything to consider if going Dewalt or 700Ho? I mean if you pop on any of these 2 motors any other mods are necessary?
    Saw one vid with the 700HO on and the truck gains really more speed
    Thanks!
    Last edited by LCM94; 08-10-2013 at 03:32 PM.

RC Racer
    Granted i have no experience with 700, but the dewalt motor is a very popular option on these forums and is what i run. The dewalt isn't faster than stock 775 but seems to be much tougher and has much much more torque so it can be geared slightly higher in order to achieve faster speeds. not to mention the Dewalt has replaceable brushes. Pay close attention to the dtails when it comes to videos as well because the majority of the 700 videos i have seen are with dual motors, if you go that route chances are the truck will become much more top heavy and lose both some advantages in crawlin and in bashing capabilities resulting in more rolls.
    crawl-bash-swim. The Summit does it all.

700 waste of money,dewalt is a better choice by a long ways.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Hi guys!
    Just could not make up my mind on wether or not going brushless. The final decision I made is I would stay in brushed mode
    So I ordered a Dewalt from Kershaw & 16t pinion
    The thing that made me decide to stay is breakage. I don't have to opportunity to take out the summit often, 3 kids ... You may know what it's like . The Summit is not designed to be a Revo and don't want to break any diff in 2 mn
    Anyway I was planning on replacing the EVX2 with the new Mamba esc waterproof. Few questions here:

- what are you esc setups (using the field card or pc link) : punch control, brake and all the other stuff ?
    - I read on another thread here that 16t is the sweet spot, but I was thinking of getting a metal Hot Racing spur gear with less teeth ... Anyone owns one ?
    - how about slipper clutch, any more or less than with the Titan ?

Any other things to consider are welcomed ! Thanks !!
    Last edited by LCM94; 08-28-2013 at 07:51 AM.

RC Competitor

Installed the Dewalt from KD. Did a little run for 30mn at low speed like advised. Works perfectly 10mn to change everything . Did loosen a quarter turn more the slipper ...

RC Champion
    Good choice - I think dewalt makes more sence than BL in the Summit. At the moment i run a 5s Setup with Stock Motor and ESC. When the stock motor dies i'll go dewalt too

2 Questions:

1) It looks as if there was no flat spot on the motor shaft for the set screw?

2) Does the motor really needs an extra cooling fan?
    Last edited by soundmaster; 09-10-2013 at 07:37 AM.

RC Competitor

Yes Kd polished the motor shaft so it's flat but looks home made.
    The fan ? Can't tell for the moment but I heard that it is better to have one if you run with 18/19 pinion. I have installed the one provided with the motor 18t. Thought I ordered a 16 t which seems to be the sweet spot. Ho well ...
    I run 4s 7600mah. Plenty of run time! Direct fit in the trays.

I almost forgot: I also made a modification to prevent unbalanced lipos because of the evx2 feeds the RX from just one lipo.
    Plugged a bec directly using one red and one black from the lipo plugs (not any though!)
    Cut the red wire that goes to the RX from the Evx2. Works fine. So far lipos are perfectly balanced.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-10-2013 at 12:01 PM.

RC Competitor
    Check out these cool videos from a guy in France.

http://youtu.be/UW_11jWmOT8
    http://youtu.be/8cCEQ28TvWo
    http://youtu.be/eKpsjX2g0g8

Few extra vids also to check on his channel

RC Competitor

So finally decided to solder the motor connectors. Since the once supplied by KD move too much and bend, one one then (between the motor and the chassis) snapped. Now they won't move

Also dremel on the Traxxas motor mount because the motor shaft is now shorter due to the additional KD motor adapter. I found it hard to align correctly the pinion to the spur. Now problem solved!

Also mounted the GH racing 120 degrees aluminum rockers.

RC Champion
    Nice - what shock socks are these? I want to get some too.

RC Qualifier
    They look like Bad Horsie......they have all colors.
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Competitor
    I got that on Ebay, pretty cheap (uk shop):
    http://www.ebay.fr/sch/dairymilk/m.h...&_trksid=p3692

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by LCM94 View Post
    I got that on Ebay, pretty cheap (uk shop):
    http://www.ebay.fr/sch/dairymilk/m.h...&_trksid=p3692
    Thanks i will order them too.

Keep in mind mud and dirt gets trapped in there,so a little more cleaning required.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Hey guys
    I just go myself these parts for the Summit

- a Hobbywing combo 1800 kv sensored. I plan on running it on 4S. It's plenty enough for this truck imo.

- the Robinson Racing slipper clutch with 65T spur gear:

- the optional Traxxas center driveshaft:

Here's what I should get with this setup (with the MT4 tires on):

14t pinion:

18t:

21t:

Good point with this combo is that it has an overheat protection for the esc & motor so I will not have to worry about temps until the security activates.

My questions are:

- locking diffs, if want to make sure that I don't switch on the front or both while running accidentally, what would be the best option ?
    Is there a way to have some kind of on / off switch for the servos ? Has anyone tried that ?
    I want to keep both options but don't want to ruin the diffs if I let someone drive it for instance (or me ).
    Last edited by LCM94; 10-01-2013 at 07:01 AM.

RC Champion
    easy just dont touch the switch on the transmitter.....

only other way i could think of is to disconect the servo's from the receiver
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Competitor
    What shim reference are you using to him the diffs ? Never opened one so far and was thinking of stocking up some part as I now have the brushless setup thanks

RC Champion
    6mmx8 or 10mmx verious thicknesses for the pinion gear
    8mmx10 or 12mmx for the ring gear
    and 6.5mmx10mm for the spider gears
    i think it was 3 racing that had the 6 and 8mm id shims but am not sure on a companie that has the 6.5mm shims for the spider gears

RC Competitor
    thanks!
    If I remove the locking diff servos, what will happen ? Do the Tlock system will get loose and could possibly lock the diff after a jump due to the vibrations ? If I want to remove the tlock system is this the only way to do this or will I have to tear down the diff and remove the locking gear ?

RC Champion
    thanks!
    If I remove the locking diff servos, what will happen ? Do the Tlock system will get loose and could possibly lock the diff after a jump due to the vibrations ? If I want to remove the tlock system is this the only way to do this or will I have to tear down the diff and remove the locking gear ?
    Good question. Would also be of interest to me.

RC Competitor
    I was also thinking of : removing the servos, drilling trough the little arm locking the diff a screw to keep it from moving

RC Competitor
    Finally installed the Hobbywing 1800kv and RR spur slipper option.

RR close up

Put on a 19t pinion. That should be a nice starting point

RC Champion
    Looking good. Must be pretty fast with a 19T pinion. How many tooth does the spur has?

RC poster
    Looks good!

RC Racer
    Is it any louder with the metal spur?
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
    Is it any louder with the metal spur?
    Sure it will be louder.

RC Competitor
    Been using the Robinson spur/slipper for a long time. Summit and Erevo. They make a high pitched whine at higher speeds, a little growl at slow speeds. Works great for me. They are trucks running around. What's the problem unless you are running them in the bedroom at night?

RC Racer
    When I bash out in public, I like to not make much noise. Like at a park, or in the street in front of my house. One of the reasons I gave my 30cc gas Baja to my friend.
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

RC Competitor
    Nowhere near that loud. Does make some noise though. Nice to be considerate of others.

RC Competitor
    Tried the summit with setup mentioned above. Amazing speed with the 19t pinion. Measured 52km/h. These lipos are awesome. I have the 7600mah and have been running like crazy for about an hour on a sandy road where horses train, so very soft and mold surface. Summit handled so greatly with the MT4 tires could not believe it. Was at full speed on that trail and you could see how the suspension handles so well.
    I lowered the summit using the outer position for the pushrods. Looking really good. First standing backflip (with a 19t). Best decision I made so far since I got the Sumo

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words and banned websites or brands to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-18-2013 at 07:54 AM.

RC Competitor
    thanks!
    Anyone has an idea ?

RC Champion
    hmmmm take out the spring from the diff lock servo saver system.then next zip tie the linkage in place.still leaveing it on the servo(so if be accident the servo can still move with the linkage zip tied since the spring is gone)

RC Qualifier
    Anyone has an idea ?
    I would just disconnect the shift servos but leave everything in place. I don't think vibration could make it lock itself. But the only way to be 100% sure is to tear into the diff and remove the locking ring. Zip tying something is a good idea...or duct tape it.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

Since the actuation mechanism involves a rotation, unintended locking is not very likely. However, if you remove the servos and linkages, it is in the realm of possibility (as are unicorns.)

Not surprising you didn't get many answers: We don't talk much about neutering the prize bull.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post

Not surprising you didn't get many answers: We don't talk much about neutering the prize bull.
    LOL! Sacrilege! What you talking about rendering the locking diffs useless! ... crazy man! Thou shall be punished by the gods...

(jk...please no one take offense)
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC Competitor

Yeah I understand and take no offense, I listen to Atheist
    Just was curious since I mainly do bash. I do only take the summit out once every couple of weeks and like the way it behaved as a basher in the horse track I was referring above. So I don't like crawling much. I thought I may of it when buying the summit but I can't resist speed, crazy jumps and all that sort of good stuff. Just want to make the summit lighter. It's pretty awesome even with all the weight ...
    Btw I set on a 21t pinion we'll see how it behaves. I bet I can reach 60km/h with these awesome tires : definitely basher / truggy tires
    Last edited by LCM94; 10-18-2013 at 10:19 AM.