Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new project

RC Qualifier
    Is it going to be a fixed suspension or something with wheel travel?
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    Nice project / build - i like the trailer. I'm a reader of this thread too but only comment when it makes sence

Looking forward to the next progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    Is it going to be a fixed suspension or something with wheel travel?

Post #39:
    "But went without any suspension"
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Looks like this one is going a practice trailer, way to much flex in the frame and figure its due to the small size angle used.
    1/2" x 1/8" just can not handle the load over a 2 ft span. Am going to finish it so will have a good picture of what to change and where to strengthen. Will probably go with 1" x 1/8" as that is all that can be found around here. Hopefully that should be able to carry the load with some bracing in place that this one will show. Also having my doubts about these tires being able to carry the load also, will need to find some wheels with zero off set to clear the frame due to how the knuckles are now mounted but bought some bolts and am going to see it is plausible to move then knuckles away from the frame without sacrificing strength. Next one also may have shocks if the 1/16 ones will work and find a good way to mount them which will mean a floating axle or knuckles in this case LOL. Anyway that is where it stands now and what I will be trying to accomplish.
    Tried to buy some angle today and they where out and had no idea when they would be getting more. Only other place in town that sell metal does not sell in small quantities as they are contractor suppliers and min. order is way to much for my needs.

Thanks Jimmie and seems as of late we are involved in a lot of builds together, to bad we live so far apart.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

Agreed.
    There are even steel places around here with no minimum... and if you can find what you need in their scrap pile they just give it to you.

RC Qualifier
    Any of those steel places have aluminum in the sizes we are likely to use? If so get a truck load, take a vacation and bring it down............Oops you are in the middle of something more important.

If I did something like that they might start charging. lol

RC Qualifier
    Here it is, still need to do the hitch and tongue which will be made out of the material laying on the floor under the trailer and set to about the distance it will be set at. No need for ramps or any of that with my crawler unless I go to bigger tires. In that case tongue will be made so trailer can pivot from the bar laying on the floor. Not pretty but myself think it came out pretty good for just sitting down and starting to build a trailer without any plans except just the dimensions required for the crawler to fit on it. Thats it any questions ask after this all I will do is post pics do to the lack of comments or questions. Paint might not last long but scratches will just add to the patina of the outfit.

Next two pics show what I used to mount the knuckles to the frame, without using the pillow balls.

RC Racer
    Really nice!

RC Qualifier
    Do you remeber the part number of the F650 body? I bought one for my revo but its too small

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    Do you remember the part number of the F650 body? I bought one for my revo but its too small
    Here it is right of the tag body came in.
    3193-00 Ford F-650, Clear body for Revo 3.3, T-Maxx 3.3 and E-Revo with minor trimming and extended body post.

All I did was cut it out mast if off and painted it. Fit like a glove, infact had to extend the rear bumper so it would fit right.
    That's the best I can do for you, good luck.

Thanks RCsummit

Forgot to mention Thanks to Jimmie(as he made the radio 8 channels) both trucks run off the same Flysky hand set all I have to do is switch the name on the model and away I go.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 09-21-2013 at 05:58 AM.

RC Qualifier

My new project

DONE! Was going to make a short video while had it outside but camera battery would not allow it due to it being to low. So these shots I took before going outside with it will have to do for now. All that is left is making some kind of tie down on the trailer, as the crawler almost comes off going up a slight grade. Have yet to need to put towing Summit in low gear while towing. Now to charge up my other set of batteries so both can be run at the same time. Both Summits have working lights.

Glow on the hitch if from a downward facing light so I can keep track of the coupler at night.

Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-30-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Looks pretty good!

Does your tow vehicle have sparkle in the paint?

RC Qualifier
    Hmm pretty good; what would you change or do different, but remember this was a build as I went with just an idea in my head and had to solve problems as I went. If I was to reduce it one big thing would be done different is the outside of the frame would be done in either 3/4 or 5/8" angle and not 1/2" like was used. Had to use a lot more bracing than normal due to the 1/2 frame not being able to carry the load.

Yes, it has light coat of changing color sparkle before putting down the black. Shows up great in the sunlight and wife even liked it LOL
    Ran it some more outside and going to change springs in the rear to purple and heavier shock oil, truck still really squats in the rear, also had to tighten up the slipper twice for going up hill in grass.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 09-23-2013 at 04:13 PM.

RC Qualifier
    like the hitch light. genius.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    Hmm pretty good; what would you change or do different, but remember this was a build as I went with just an idea in my head and had to solve problems as I went. If I was to reduce it one big thing would be done different is the outside of the frame would be done in either 3/4 or 5/8" angle and not 1/2" like was used. Had to use a lot more bracing than normal due to the 1/2 frame not being able to carry the load.

Yes, it has light coat of changing color sparkle before putting down the black. Shows up great in the sunlight and wife even liked it LOL
    Ran it some more outside and going to change springs in the rear to purple and heavier shock oil, truck still really squats in the rear, also had to tighten up the slipper twice for going up hill in grass.
    Well,I have been following along.
    For a build on the fly,no firm plan.(that's me too)
    I would say well done!
    Best part....there is not another one anywhere.
    The best stuff is built not bought and bolted on.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Jamann: If this thing had not been such a pain and would have to buy more aluminum (Most of what I used already had, Grating was the big expense as it is suitable for grills) would redo it. Amazing how much you learn on something built on the fly and now have a small understanding why your system is taking you so long to get "Perfected"

Northern; Thanks.. the light was from me towing a boat and wish at times there was such a thing on my truck, back up lights just don't cut it LOL.

RC Qualifier
    Solid work...as always.
    Thanks for posting.
    Your builds always show great detail and workmanship.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Captain

Got some more refinements coming as I broke the tie downs that were made to keep the crawler in place. Also found out why my Tow Summit seemed to be having trouble pulling the trailer seems somewhere in my test run blew the rear end LOL Got a new one installed and what a difference HaHa LOL. Truck still sags but not near as much with about 3-4 drops of 100K differential oil in the shocks then the rest 70 weights with #3 pistion of the variable damping kit, as it did with a #2 & 70 weight oil. Still works great for running but trailer tongue still has a tendency to drag when running threw a plowed field LOL but does drag some on ground sudden up hill climbs. ON grass about 1 1/2" would say it is being able to handle at 25-30 deg inclines.

Jamann; Going to try within the next couple of days to take the crawler and see if it will climb the dam on our pond. It has to be every bit of 35 deg incline if not more. Not sure how good the video will be as not sure I will be able to shoot and drive at the same time and dam is to rutted up with cow tracks to just let it climb without some driver input.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 09-26-2013 at 11:51 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Some update and drastic change to the hitch. Hitch now is hinged for elevation changes.

Hitch when truck is not moving.

Hitch with tension put on it. The hitch will move 90 deg. up or down is locked for any left or right movement except for what movement is allowed by the hitch pin on the truck. It's locked down at the trailer. Not sure how well it will work or how long it will last. But thought of it due to truck towing over uneven ground LOL and giving the hitch some movement might help with towing on rough ground. The two swivels are held together by 1/4" tubing that is locked in place by two set screws per each swivel. If need be the length can be changed by changing the length of the tubing, right now have the swivels butted up flush. Also changed the part on the truck which is now made of heavier aluminum angle which needs to be taken off and trimmed. When that is done it will sit flush with the truck and not at the angle it is now. Had to mount it so I could mark it for trimming. Oh the ends that are used for attaching the tow bar to the trailer and truck are Stub axle, CV style, that are threaded into the center of the swivels and this is what stops the laterial movement.

These are what I came up with for tie downs on the trailer, they are made of Weed eater string. Hooks are made of spring clips that where cut and then bent to the correct shape. End that goes on the trucks A-arms are covered in heat shrink to help protect the A-arms as well as the crimps are covered. Crimps are real small crimps for repairing electric fence. The spring clips are used on tractors so am not to worried about them breaking. First 2 pictures are of the rear, and next is the front. They are removed by compressing the till it bottoms out.

Rear

Front.

This is what the hooks are made from. They are cut off at the end of the round bend right before the "M" it makes in this view.

Also have an idea on changing the trailer axles so they will have suspension. Going to order 1/16 scale summit shocks and some leaf springs. But have my doubts about them being able to handle the weight as they are made Tamiya Ford F350 Hi-Lift, or will try to see if I can locate the material and make my own. Not sure which one I will go with, guess it will depend on witch one is more likely to work. Anyway trailer is still a work in progress and probably will end up having to redo it due to drilling out rivets and putting others in different places. Guess you could say this trailer is a blue print.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 09-29-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Some projects end up that way... that is for sure.

Looks good!

Here is my homemade suspension that I used on my trailer.It carried my cooler for camping.maybe get a idea or two from it.ya it's ugly but it worked.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Here is my homemade suspension that I used on my trailer.It carried my cooler for camping.maybe get a idea or two from it.ya it's ugly but it worked.

Sent using lipo power
    Who cares if its ugly, if it works thats all that matters and thanks. What I just posted is not pretty and not sure it if it will work in the real world outside in use but does work in the house LOL

Thanks a million Jamann. What did you use to keep the springs in place? Those don't look like ballpoint pen springs LOL

The springs are from closet bi-fold doors. The retainers are made of clear plastic rod from a old window blind.its what I had laying around.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

I love the junk-drawer ingenuity. Now if we could just get Old Glory on that cooler...
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

My new project

Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    DONE! Was going to make a short video while had it outside but camera battery would not allow it due to it being to low. So these shots I took before going outside with it will have to do for now. All that is left is making some kind of tie down on the trailer, as the crawler almost comes off going up a slight grade. Have yet to need to put towing Summit in low gear while towing. Now to charge up my other set of batteries so both can be run at the same time. Both Summits have working lights.

I'm a little cheesed that the TRAILER uses my favorite off-road tires.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-30-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

And they are even trimmed trenchers lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I'm a little cheesed that the TRAILER uses my favorite off-road tires.
    Well excuse me

Got to make it so it has a firm grip on the ground now don't ya know.

RC Qualifier
    Trailer Rebuild. New one is a tad shorter as well as a tad wider and a lot stouter. Used 3/4" x 1/16 channel for the frame and cross braces are 1/2" x 1/16" channel. Still working on wheel mounts and have two different things in the works LOL. One is a balanced system that required two wheels each side other is a single wheel configuration. Oh tow bar is 1/2" square tubing and probably all that will be used, if the other pieces are needed can be added later but feel the tow bar will work just fine.

Bottom

Now your just showing off....lol
    Looking good. Trailer 2.0

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Thanks jamann; I think LOL glad you like.
    LOL on showing off. Like I stated before in a previous post Trailer 1.0 was more of a pattern/learning build.d

Sadly all my stuff is the pattern variety.and yes I was kidding about the showing off,just being a
    Wise guy. no offence intended at all

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Would not call your stuff pattern material, really good work is what I would call it. No offence taken as I know you where just be a wise guy like I do to you as well.
    Guess my design work gets in my way at times and just can not let things go when there is a better way. Being a perfectionist can both be a blessing and a curse. Lately would say it's a curse LOL.
    No offence taken, carry on Eh!

RC Qualifier
    Update. Still have ramps to build which will hold the crawler in place on the trailer without tie downs. Also need to anchor the grating on both ends as they sag with the crawler on it.

Am going to redo the coupler (where it goes into the 1/2" tubing) but used part of a sway bar system for the revo. Just push down and it snaps onto the ball. Time will tell how well it is going to work but for now is simple to use.

Bottom

Comments or suggestions are more than welcome. If someone has an idea about doing it a different way say so.
    Right now the only suspension is in the tires. When I can find the material to make a good sturdy axle will do it that way and will be able to put some suspension on it. But really feel it does not need it, but after some use that may change.
    Hope this also helps others that may be thinking of building a trailer. The way this one is build would not be afraid to put any RC made on it that would fit.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 10-17-2013 at 01:48 PM.

That is one WIDE trailer!

RC Qualifier
    Yep it is and thought about putting the tires under it but all the tires I have would then put it up in the clouds and need a crane to get the crawler on it. Can narrow it up somewhat by replacing the spacers I used on the outside of the frame and use nuts but will only narrow it up about 1/2". Its wide due to carrying a wide Summit. Trailer #1 crawler keep rubbing on the trailer tires no matter how hard it was tied down it would always shift to the side and rub. So this trailer is about 1" wider over all. Crawlers outside edge of the tires fit right on the outside edge of the grating.

Also forgot to mention above that Jimmie is who gave me the idea for the double rods that hold the knuckles on.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 10-17-2013 at 08:39 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Well it's taken me a while to get my new trailer almost done, but it's painted and in the process of putting it back together as this one will have a tilt bed. IF the leaf springs are strong enough to handle the weight will also have suspension. This trailer also will be using G made tires/wheels with air and not foam so if the springs are not strong enough hopefully the tires will give it some suspension. Also have shocks on the tilt mechanism. So if anyone is interested stay tuned for the pictures as I start to assemble it. Finally am waiting for the axles from Jimmy as his grandfather machined the ends of 1/4 solid steel tubing for bearings a nuts to hold the tires on.
    If you do not know how or lack the equipment to do the job yourself it is nice to have a friend that is willing to help
    Last edited by Edstoys; 12-14-2013 at 03:02 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Hitch

Bottom view

Trailer minus the wheels/tires mounted.

How Summit 2 sits on the trailer

Spring loaded reciever

RC Qualifier
    Tilt mechanism, bottom of trailer....not in tilt mode

Close up

In tilt mode. Once I figure out a locking mechanism all that will be required is to unlock it, as you drive on the trailer it will tilt then as truck moves toward the front trailer will fall to level again and shock will just slow the coming down process down so as not to slam down. Once level lock it down.

Awesome work looks killer

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried