Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new project

RC Qualifier

My new project

Not pretty pics but body is not yet painted, just trying to let you see how low it sits.
    This one will also be riding on a trailer and will be strictly crawling, No bashing.

Truck that will be doing the towing, is simi built and contemplating a double motor set up.

For that that be wondering about the extended chassis all wheel drive that was built, had it out the other day and running it hard, lets just say it did not like sudden drop offs. All wheels were on the ground coming over a very large rock and stress on the joint made it crack. SOoo will not attempt another all wheel chassis "Until I either make a aluminum chassis or someone else does it first.

Anyway here are the pics of mystery crawler, body is mounted only problem am having is picking the bumpers. Either Traxxas, Proline narrows or wide. Narrows on it in the pic but don't like how the rear one looks.

Endeavoring to persevere !

Nice. I was just considering getting one of those proline Hummer hx/ militia bodies. Nice n low. Looking forward to seeing it painted.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Champion
    Looking good!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Nice. I was just considering getting one of those proline Hummer hx/ militia bodies. Nice n low. Looking forward to seeing it painted.
    Nor if you get one and use the E revo body supports you will have to do some minor trimming on the wheel wells. Front I had to take off about a graduated 1/4" on the rear side, Meaning almost nothing on the top to a 1/4 on the bottom for tire clearance when suspension is fully compressed, and wheels at full lock. Almost the same on the rear half of the rear wheel wells to clear the top arm. This is the lowest I have been able to mount a body on a Summit and have it look good without having to cut it up a lot.
    Paint job; right now contemplating Yellow for base color and dark blue or black for trim. Civilian Hummer hx/militia body.

Like this body so well right now contemplating using the same one for the truck that will be towing the trailer this one will be riding on. Matched pair, one with more guts and speed while one will be nothing but a crawler.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 08-08-2013 at 02:26 PM.

RC Qualifier
    What's in the background?

White and blue.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by maxi single View Post
    What's in the background?
    Different views but I cut out the background clutter so the body was more visible sense it is not painted and does not stand out. Body also is not mounted or totally trimmed out yet.

RC Qualifier
    Well finally got it painted! Also tired something a little different by glueing some light buckets on the inside of the formed lights in the body. Got two more to hook up but you can see the results with a few minor paint mistakes and the silver got inside the buckets due to dumb me not putting any tap on the hole in the back of the light buckets. Enjoy and might add one of the best paint jobs I have accomplished. Should be LOL took almost a whole day just to get it tapped off. Decals have not been applied yet either.

RC Qualifier
    That looks pretty cool, I think the silver brings out the body details pretty good. What brand light buckets are those and can you shoot a close up pic and one close up pic from the inside? Other than glue how else can the buckets install?

I think this is a great 'low slung' body for those that want low CG.

RC Qualifier
    The lights are the Summit roof lights separated and trimmed, Axel, and another brand where to big but the Traxxas light fit great. Attached them with super glue then used liquid tap to seal them in and hopefully give them some shock protection. Will get some pics you requested later when I get a chance, not going to be able to tell much. Have another body/lights on the way, will make sure and do a step by step on the lights if anyone is interested. I really like this body and should make for a great crawler. Got some other things in the works as well for this little rocky snail buster LOL!

RC Qualifier
    Very cool, thanks for the follow up.

I love LEDs and looking at the front headlights, I think it's possible to leave the front 'lenses' unpainted and fab light buckets from behind like a '5 sided box' and add LED(s) to each side. This might work for taillights too if the design is similar.

RC Qualifier
    IMO crawlers have no need for lights all they do is draw power from the battery system. Only reason lights are going on this body is due to them being molded into it. Have looked at a couple of different ways of approaching the light install, what is shown is the easiest way I could come up with and still they have to be installed before painting. This alone creates problems.
    Will make sure and do a step by step on the next one which should show up Thurs. if scheduling is correct. Need to get some pics of the undercarriage also as it is no fully protected. High center will be the only hang up will have to worry about and if that happens is drivers error LOL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    IMO crawlers have no need for lights all they do is draw power from the battery system.
    You can always power them independently. They do add value to the experience and some of them even add function. I love night crawling...challenging!
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC Qualifier
    Well now have two fully functional Summits, that are kinda specific in how they run. Bodies need to be painted and final gearing figured out on the one with the 650 Body as it is the speed demon of the two.
    Man the lower you gear the Dewalt the louder it screams LOL. Will try and get some pics up soon of the chassis's
    On one am trying something as it is already mounted in the Rx box, but wrapped the CCBEC in foil to cut down on the EMI(electromagnetic interference) interference that is created in the BEC. Hoping to cut down on the interference having the BEC mounted inside the Rx box.

Let me know how that foil trick works!
    I finally have most of the parts to work on my new Rx box... hopefully I will find some time tomorrow to tinker and test.

RC Qualifier
    Promised update pics on second Summit. Idea originally was for this summit to be towing the Summit pictured(silver blue one) above in this post But trailer to carry a summit will end up being half a football field. LOL

Chassis layout, all fans and lights will come on when batteries are plugged in , for right now that is.

Rx box with CCBEC wrapped in HVAC chrome tape. Flysky 8 channel Rx is that is full and this thing is crowded and packed tight no room for anything else you would think LOL

Still needs paint.

Front bumper with Traxxas lights off Pede 4 x 4 separated and back of lights covered in liquid tap to keep the light going in the right direction.

Rear Pro Line bumper with lights added and even have a light on the bottom that shines down which was to help with night time trailer hook ups.

RC Champion
    Looks great! I love those tires.

RC Qualifier
    New tires and reworked rims. The idea behind this project was to have one Summit towing another and this is the basic layout.

Got my Rok Lox 40 Series 3.8" Comp Tires in today and started mounting them on Cyclone 40 Series Universal Beadlock Wheel after painting the outside ring with Mercury marine outboard motor black. Bad pic but will get the general idea one of my boxers keep trying to get in it LOL

The difference between the new tires and trenchers.

Difference between mudslingers and my new tires as well as will be able to see the difference in the unpainted and painted rims.

Two more rims and tires to mount and will get busy painting the bodies. Then the trailer.. Ug!
    Last edited by Edstoys; 09-05-2013 at 06:43 PM.

RC Racer
    them tires are huge lol ill go with slingers

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro22 View Post
    them tires are huge lol ill go with slingers
    The Rok lox are way softer and narrower, slingers are way harder and do not give near as much as these. Without some driver error high center should not be a problem at all now while crawling.

RC Racer
    what tires are on the towing truck i like them

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro22 View Post
    what tires are on the towing truck i like them
    Both tire and rim can be found at RC4WD
    Tires are Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 40 Series 3.8" Tires
    http://store.rc4wd.com/Mickey-Thomps...es_p_2278.html

Rims
    Mickey Thompson Classic II Black Beadlock Wheels for Traxxas Revo and T-Maxx 3.3 (17mm hub)
    http://store.rc4wd.com/Mickey-Thomps...ub_p_2123.html

Hope that helps

Looks killer... love it!

RC Qualifier
    Crawler is Done, any questions ask, will let the pics do the talking. Metallic Black/ Indy Silver, also no switching on the lights they come on when the batteries are plugged in. Made a mistake in the paint job and forgot to run the silver stripe around on the front, Oh well it is what it is. Undercarrage is fully protected by T bones system.

Yep it's a Summit LOL
    Last edited by Edstoys; 09-08-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Looks great sir,very nice job

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Specs on the crawler

Front track - 18" (tap measure).......................................... ..........Stock - 18.48"
    Rear track - 18" .................................................. .....................Stock - 18.58"
    Center ground clearance w/ T bone skid system installed - 4".............Stock - 4.76"
    Weight 14.6 lbs............................................... ...........................Stock - 11 lbs w/o batteries.
    Overall Height - 11.25"............................................ .....................Stock - 12.6"
    Front Tire - Rok Lox 4.0 21/49-17LT
    Rear Tire - Rok Lox 4.0 21/49-17LT
    Wheels - Cyclone 40 series Universal Bead Locks
    Motor - 14.4v Dewalt geared 12/68
    Motor Fan - Castle CC Blower
    Speed Control (ESC) Fan - AV-3007XT 30x30 mm.
    Radio System - 2.4 GHz Fly Sky 8 Channel
    Batteries - SPC Lipo 8200 mAh 7.5v
    CCBEC - Set to 6v
    Steering Servo - Savox SA-1230SG - Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 500
    Complete T-Bone Skid Plate system plug Front and Rear Bumper Skids
    Body Posts- E-Revo
    Bumpers and Body - Pro-Line
    Shocks - Double Orange Springs all around + Variable damping kit

4WS on this crawler?

RC Qualifier
    Nope, K.I.S.S .... for a change and the one I had figured just looks sloppy. Right now not to thrilled with any of the 4ws systems, so am going to wait till a chassis comes out for 4ws or I get a chance to sit down and make one out of aluminum if I can find a wide enough peace.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 09-10-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Either you or I... it is going to happen!
    I really like my 4WS chassis design I have shared with you and LEM. It just might happen this winter....

RC Qualifier
    If you shared it, I don't remember but matters not. Like you said will probably happen over winter. My problem is going to be finding a wide enough piece of aluminum that is not 1/4" or more. Myself feel 3/16" is about as thin as we can go. Never know Leading Edge may come out with something as well which would be outstanding.
    Right now am contemplating putting a 72t spur gear in the Shadow (crawler), but goofed and got a spur gear for a nitro, so not sure it will work

RC Qualifier
    Well the shadow is now geared 72/12. Bolted the 72t spur gear to a 68t to find out the difference in the center hole as it is smaller than on the 68t and will not take a bearing without some work. After bolting them together started going threw my Metric drill and found a 11mm was almost perfect. With some careful drilling got it done. Sorry did not take any pics of the process.
    After that it was cutting the chassis so it would fit witch amounts to cutting the chassis all the way thru so it clears. Some pics that show some of the work, but can't wait to give it a try outside and all ready run it in the house to check for any rubbing and such. Crazy thing now will climb a wall with ease in high without any locked differentials to it falls over backwards.

Dump truck first gear....sweet
    Set the throttle trim and watch it grind its way up stuff.i have much more success with minimal wheel spin.i thought 12/68 was pretty low.get some vid for us low and slow guys.lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Both trucks are in running form and painted. AM now in the process of trying to build a trailer, roughed out frame is huge 24"lg x 18.5" wide and that is without the front end for the hitch. This is also almost the minimum dimensions to get the crawler on it. Also going to try and figure out if I can mount a spare for the trailer as well as the Ford 6500 on the trailer

RC Qualifier
    Teaser .....

Trailer tires/wheels will end up matching the trucks, got to get some $$$$$ so will be spacing the wheels when mounted for the future ones also.

Couple of things still need to figure out, and debating about doing a goose neck trailer also, have that figure out but not the hitch. One thought was just use a body clip but not sure how realsecure they would be with pressure on them. Some thing still up in the air as mentioned but the basic frame is almost done. Frame is 1/2" aluminum angle and fasteners are aluminum rivets. If they start coming lose will drill them out and use bolts with locking nuts.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 09-17-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Looking good!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Jimmie !
    Here is one of the trailer so far, this is kinda a build it as I go LOL no plans just started with an idea. Back part of the trailer the angle was bent so it was figuring center and allowing for the bends on a big long piece of angle this was done in hope of preventing a lot more joints but have run into problems due to size and have to reinforce those bends which hopefully the grate will help with.
    Got the axles figured out just can not find the tubing needed in our area. Living in the country can be a real pain at times.

Wow, nice build. Keep us updated!
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Wolf; Will do my best LOL but now the hard part comes as I know what to do next for tilt and wheels but am unable to find the material in this are grrr.

RC Qualifier
    Jimmie gave me the idea to use the knuckles instead of axles and turned out great just not sure how it will handle 15 lbs but figure it should not be a problem. They are attached to 1 1/4" x1/8" aluminum angle witch will be attached to the trailer frame.
    Spacing on the wheels might look a little far but was done that way for bigger wheels/tires if I chose. And they will spin freely for about 5 min on their own once started. And incase anyone thinks they may move around they will not they are anchored real nice and tight.

This trailer has been a build as I go with not much planning and solving problems as they arise, if this one turns out looking like a patch job will build another one with lessons learned from this one and who knows next one might have shocks as have an idea for that. But went without any suspension on this one trying to keep it as low as possible so no ramps or tilting trailer will be required which my Crawler should have no problem getting on.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 09-19-2013 at 12:22 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Man all these lookers and no comments? Not even any suggestions or questions; hmm....shrugs guess everyone that has looked either likes what I am doing or does not have any suggestions on the build, or if more pics of something. Oh well enjoy.
    Have one set of wheels mounted and most definitely will need a rebuild using 3/4" angle as there is way to much flex in the frame creating so much toe end the the tires almost rub or am going to have to use bolts instead of the pillow balls.