RC poster

motor got really hot today?

So we have a stampede 4x4 with stock motor and all put trencher tires on it with stock batt. Ran in the back yard grass not real tall full blast for about 10mins or so. Darn was that motor hot need a temp gun guess running hot because of the tires? Should we get fans for this truck? thanks

Get a temp gun they are a must have in this hobby. Then when you know for sure what the temps are adjust the gearing if the temps are too high. Trenchers are a little taller than stock I believe so it would make sense that you might need to knock a tooth or two off the pinion gear. Until you know the temps though it is only a guess.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Grass causes a big problem because the motor is always full blast also another thing is getting a pinion with less teeth on it will help!
    Yes I do have a Traxxas...

RC poster
    Going to lhs tomorrow to get heat gun. What is the stock pinion gear in this truck? So go one or two teeth down on pinion will make truck motor not work as hard? Thanks guys me and my son or kind of new at this.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stampered4x4 View Post
    Grass causes a big problem because the motor is always full blast also another thing is getting a pinion with less teeth on it will help!
    Stamp is right, grass creates heat issues for the stock VXL system. Also, you put the Trenchers on, they have a lot more bite than the Talons. More traction = more work on the motor/ESC. The extra work has to translate in to something, which is HEAT.

The stock gearing is an 11 tooth pinion and 54 tooth spur gear. Dropping the pinion down to a 9 tooth will slow the truck down a bit and help reduce some of the heat.

If you are planning on keeping the stock VXL system, here are a couple of solutions. Both use the Traxxas Velineon VXL-3s ESC Cooling Fan on the ESC.

Traxxas VXL Dual Fan Wiring Harness

Integy Motor Heatsink Fan

You could also do something similar to this thread:

Mega Heatsink/Fan

Whatever you decide to go with - post pics so we can all benefit from it!

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum and the addiction the guys have given you some awesome advice and I hope you get the truck running cooler and one thing to do in the near future is get the traxxas aluminium bearing adapter part number 6893xit replaces the stock plastic one..............peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    +1 on the Bearing Adapter!

RC poster
    Well picked up a temp gun,integy heatsink with cooling fan at lhs today. Ordered esc fan and harness oh ya put on a 9t rrg pinion gear too. Lets see what happens. Thanks guys this forum is great.

RC Racer
    Glad to see it coming together. Keep us updated!

Nice dude I hope you and your son are having a blast and if you get stuck come talk to us.......peace

RC Qualifier
    I cam vouch for the large fan that warfighter suggested. My motor on stock gearing with 3s was 114 degrees after bashing. My buddy doesn't have a fan and his was 171. Worth every penny!!!! Esc without fan was 138, with fan 98. All using my temp gun.

RC Competitor
    Yes i highly recommend getting a fan, all electric models need them these days

I use the integy dual fan and some thermal paste for better contact to the motor. Keeps the temp under 160F. When running extreme offroad i also use the 9t pinion. No fan on the esc so far.

I plug the fans directly into the balancer port of the lipo (2s for sure) so i get higher rpm on the fans and also take load off the esc.

Motor fans (and most fans in general) are bad. They artificially lower temperatures to allow gearing that should not be run. Then when they die - as all fans will - motor temps soar and motors die.
    Certainly not highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

That's good info ksb51rl I don't use one on my tenshock.but will the one built into my esc not help or should I disconnect it....peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Motor fans (and most fans in general) are bad. They artificially lower temperatures to allow gearing that should not be run. Then when they die - as all fans will - motor temps soar and motors die.
    Certainly not highly recommended. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    I am not doubting your rc knowledge, but fans dont artificially lower temps, they actually lower temps by creating better air flow across the motor can and or heatsink to aid in the process of dissipating the heat generated by the electric motor. I work on a daily basis with electric motors ranging in size from 1/20hp to 50hp and every single one has some type of fan, whether internal or external, attached to the drive shaft to keep the motor running cool. Any electric motor will generate heat with some type of load.

I do understand that if I put in a monster sized motor (which would cost lots of $) and play around with a pinion and spur sizes I shouldn't need fans. I am slowly building my monster pede and one of my last upgrades (LOL) will be a monster motor of some type where I won't need a fan, but until then my mega fan and esc fan keep the temps in check.

I tend to side with ksb on this for the most part. IMO it is best to get a vehicle set up so you really dont need a fan using a motor capable of the task given it and proper gearing. Then if you want to add a fan to keep the motor even cooler that is fine. As he mentioned it is only a matter of time before a fan on an RC truck fails and if you are depending on it to keep temps in the safe range you run the risk of killing the motor. If the fan is just an added cooling device you will likely be ok. I am currently running a 5700kv motor in my Pede with a heat sink but no fan and it stays well within safe levels if I NEEDED a fan to keep it safe I would gear it down or use a different motor.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    IMO it is best to get a vehicle set up so you really dont need a fan using a motor capable of the task given it and proper gearing.
    With the stock set up and the lowest gearing, 9/54 and running lipos, I believe its a good idea to run a fan during warm days to help the motor cool. Typically I bash in my backyard which a has hills, grass, jumps, and dirt. Before I had a fan, I would have to take long breaks to let motor cool cuz it was around 200. Now I can run a full battery and not go over 150.

IMO fans should be used with stock motor and esc to aid in cooling and too prolong life even with the lowest gearing. Its much cheaper than investing in a new motor and esc, especially if your just getting into the hobby and just dropped around $400 on the truck itself. But hey, who's to listen to me, I'm just a noob right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hirschowl View Post
    I am not doubting your rc knowledge, but fans dont artificially lower temps, they actually lower temps by creating better air flow across the motor can and or heatsink to aid in the process of dissipating the heat generated by the electric motor. I work on a daily basis with electric motors ranging in size from 1/20hp to 50hp and every single one has some type of fan, whether internal or external, attached to the drive shaft to keep the motor running cool. Any electric motor will generate heat with some type of load.

I do understand that if I put in a monster sized motor (which would cost lots of $) and play around with a pinion and spur sizes I shouldn't need fans. I am slowly building my monster pede and one of my last upgrades (LOL) will be a monster motor of some type where I won't need a fan, but until then my mega fan and esc fan keep the temps in check.
    The huge difference in your "daily basis" working with fans and fans on RC vehicle motors is that you will almost certainly notice or be warned when a "work" motor fan fails. Not so with our vehicle motors. For this reason the two examples are not analogous.

@ spenniepoos: ESCs typically have thermal shutdown circuitry. A fan failure in such a situation will not be catastrophic.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

You are missing the point. Let's say you are running on a hot day in your back yard and the fan is keeping the motor cool. You land a big hard jump and it braks the fan (this happens all the time) you dont realize it and keep running. What is going to happen to the motor temps? We all know they are going to sky rocket.

Bottom line it is very possible to set up a truck to run in the safe temperature zone without the use of a fan and it is is much more reliable.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    When I try, and I mean try, to do some racing at a local oval dirt track, I run a 3s, geared at 14/54 and 2.2/3.0 tires and wheels, I disconnect my fans, I dont have any issues while racing, just while bashing. How can I gear lower and run 2.8 trenchers and not have issues with heat on the stock system and not use fans? One thing this forum and your guys great advice (which has come from years of rc experience) has taught me is to pay close attention to temps. I have taken all the necessary precautions, and even with my fans, I pause a few times durings bash sessions to check temps and ensure fans are running. That is how I noticed my first fan broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirschowl View Post
    When I try, and I mean try, to do some racing at a local oval dirt track, I run a 3s, geared at 14/54 and 2.2/3.0 tires and wheels, I disconnect my fans, I dont have any issues while racing, just while bashing. How can I gear lower and run 2.8 trenchers and not have issues with heat on the stock system and not use fans? One thing this forum and your guys great advice (which has come from years of rc experience) has taught me is to pay close attention to temps. I have taken all the necessary precautions, and even with my fans, I pause a few times durings bash sessions to check temps and ensure fans are running. That is how I noticed my first fan broke.
    You might not be able to do that. Stock system on taller tires bashing hard on a 3s might not happen safely with your driving style and terrain. The point remains if you are relying on a fan you run the risk of the fan failing and burning up your motor. I am not trying to tell you not to use a fan I am saying it is better to set your truck up so you dont have to.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    For this reason the two examples are not analogous.

Had to look that (analogous)word up. Great use of the word! Will have to add that to my vocabulary.