RC Competitor

3.3 Modification

I have done some research and decided to modify the sleeve and crank on my 3.3. This is the first engine that I have modified and would like input from some of the forum members who have experience with this. I had a dead engine so decided to work on that before I started on the one in the Revo. If there is anything I should be doing different let me know. I would also like to know what parts should be polished and which should be left rough.

The truck gets used on grass and snow during the winter if it makes any difference. A smooth idle is important and I prefer low end power over high end power. I do not know if that effects the way I should be going about this. Any advise would be appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

More pictures here.
    Last edited by NathanM; 07-23-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Nice, looks good.
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeAtonXMaxx

I just did this myself and it turned out really well. Your cuts could be smoother though I can see some deep scratch marks in them. For cutting I used the Tungsten Carbide bits, they cut very smooth but remove alot of material so you have to go easy. The 3.3 sleeve and crank I did was just test pieces it was a wore out motor. Refer more to what I did on my OS 21TM. I used 1000 grit paper to smooth it out and I used some polishing compound I have it's called "Congress chrome polish" very stinky stuff but works awesome.

Here's my thread on it.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...h&daysprune=45
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 07-25-2013 at 02:02 AM.

RC Competitor
    I was in Washington DC for a week so wasn't able to work on it. I finished it up today and put it back in. Looks just like the first one only it doesn't have the scratches that you pointed out. It runs well and seems to have more power but I have not done any tuning.

Thank you for the help. It was very nice knowing that I wasn't making any stupid mistakes that would destroy the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanM View Post
    Thank you for the help. It was very nice knowing that I wasn't making any stupid mistakes that would destroy the engine.
    Not a problem. It looks like you did your homework pretty well though on which way to angle the fangs and such. Just the cutting and finishing touches are the ones that take the finesse. My first try on my wore out sleeve was not very good. I ground way too much out. It probably would have ran terrible if it was a good motor. Luckily the material on my OS sleeve was much harder so it took longer to grind, if it was soft like the 3.3 I probably would have ruined it. Now that I know that, I'll just have to be careful when I do my new 3.3. Before I did this on my OS 21TM it had a little bit of an unstable idle even at a good tune. Now it's as smooth as silk from idle all the way up the RPM range and pulls like a beast.

RC Racer
    I'm sorry but what does this mod actually do?

RC Racer
    It helps scavenge more fuel/air to the combustion chamber. More a/f more POWER!!
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate

RC Racer
    Is there a step by step how to anywhere?

Just search under Nitronaught's and my started threads or do a search for RC nitro engine modification.
    The Super Derecho