RC Enthusiast

ESC blinking red???

Was given two merv's and one works and the other just blinks red is the one that blinks shot? Tried battery in both but still the same. One works and one blinks. Is it time for a new esc?

Also... ran the one battery that is a stock traxxas power cell.... ran great however it was very, very hot to the touch. Is it time to replace? Out of the three batteries that I was given... this was the only one to charge and hold a charge... so my thinking is that they are little old.

Thanks in advance.

Saint.

Fast or slow?
    Same with servo plugged in?

Very very hot? What was the temperature?
    But, it could be time for replacement... stock NiMh don't seem to last in a brushless RC.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Fast blinking right when I turn it on. Yes servo was plugged in .

As far as the temp on the battery goes... I did not hit it with a temp gun but it was very hot to the touch that I could only hold it for a few seconds before I had to put it down. Mind you... this is the one merv that was running.

The other... I can not get it to work as the light is blinking fast and that is it.

Thanks.

I guess I wasn't clear when I typed "Is it the same with the servo plugged in".

Unplug your servo and test to see if the issue goes away.

Also, fast red is supposed to be thermal shut down stage 1... here is a link to the manual in case you don't have one:
    http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...l116-downloads

RC Enthusiast
    I have the manual but it is cold and have not ran it and it is still blinking.

Now.... I just changed the settings back to standard stock battery red instead of the lipo green. Blinking went away however there is a humming sound that comes from the servo when the servo is plugged in. It goes away when the servo is unplugged.... shot servo???? That is what I am thinking.

Also... it is unresponsive as well... no steering or throtle response.

Thanks again brother.
    Last edited by saint; 07-27-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Have you unplugged the servo yet and tried the ESC??

RC Enthusiast
    the blinking red goes away when I unplug the servo. Light then goes to a solid red on the ESC. No response when I hit the throtle with the servo unplugged.

Thanks again.

RC Enthusiast
    Bought a new servo... plugged it in along with the esc and the led is red but no response from the controler. Is the esc shot?

RC Qualifier
    Is it possible a channel 2 went bad on the rx?
    Mini Revo VXL 7107
    E-Maxx 3903 - He Lives!

ESC is probably shot due to the servo. If the servo is not found out soon enough and unplugged the ESC fails.

Smokey:
    Possible, but not probable.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks... I will say this though... while turning the RX on and off... it spinned the tires. Also when I turn on the RX the servo jumps too... but that is it.

Could try resetting the controller, rebinding to the receiver, and reprogramming the ESC.

RC Enthusiast
    LOL... Not sure how to do that. Will try it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by saint View Post
    the blinking red goes away when I unplug the servo. Light then goes to a solid red on the ESC. No response when I hit the throtle with the servo unplugged.

Thanks again.
    Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if there is no response from the esc with the servo unplugged, why would you think that a new servo would fix the ESC?

RC Enthusiast
    Wow.... maybe because I am new to the electronics side of this. Sometimes when you work with electronics some things need to be plugged into things in order for them to work right.

This is the reason I have left this sport a few times and am starting to understand why it does not grow. No wories on the sounding like a jerk robl45 consider yourself ignored from here on out.
    Last edited by saint; 07-28-2013 at 02:20 AM.

RC Competitor
    According to the trouble shooting section it is a low voltage issue. I would start with a new battery and check your receiver try swapping the known good one from the other merv sounds like the ecs is doing its job.
    RECEIVER LED CODES
    Flashing fast red
    (0.125 sec on / 0.125 sec off)
    Notes
    See page 13 for information on how to use your transmitter controls.
    Consistent low voltage in the receiver triggers fail-safe so
    that there is enough power to center the throttle servo before it completely loses power.
    Also check the antenna wire to see if it has been cut.
    Last edited by RYCRKT; 07-28-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    JATO, MERV, 4-TEC, & NITRO-VEE

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you sir... that is exactly what I needed. Also... thank you to the others for your help as well. I have followed your advice and it is still not working. May take it to the local shop and see if they can test the esc for me or may just try and do it myself.