RC Enthusiast

Anyone else a little disappointed?

I mean the Merv is great but for the money we paid wouldn't it have been good to have a decent servo, Bearings on the rockers, half decent hub carriers and steel hollow balls instead of the plastic ones? I mean i love my merv and after a rebuild this afternoon i cant help but think that it was designed better than we got it.

Not bashing traxxas here, they build the best rc's out there but looking at my basic upgrades to make it half tidy i find myself a touch disappointed.

I agree. 5 of my friends have minis, 3 of them E-Revos, and the other 2 Summits. They seem to aways be a little on the weak side even with upgrades.

EDIT: Dad's right, it's far for the price.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 07-19-2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

Seems to me like no matter how they build them some one will want something different. If Traxxas built them how you wanted a group of people would be upset that the price was too high or find something else to complain about. Everyone has their own idea on how a given vehicle should be, it is impossible for any manufacture to please everyone with any one given vehicle or make a vehicle that matches everyone's wants to the last little part or upgrade. Part of what makes this a hobby is making the vehicle your own with tweaks, upgrades, and hop up parts.

Personally I am far from disappointed. My MERV has needed very little in hop ups to make it what I wanted and what it did get was rather inexpensive.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for that guys, it makes me feel better, i mean, i wouldn't swap it for the world but to be honest i would like to see traxxas sell rolling chassis 's so that i could spend the extra on basic upgrades, i have 4 tqs sitting on a shelf un used, i should ebay them i guess but i am too lazy for that. Lol.

RC Champion
    I'll second the motion for Traxxas selling rollers. I think the MERV is great but all my stock electronics have been gone since a few weeks after I got it.
    My tranny case is stock :D

RC Competitor
    modding is 1/2 the fun - besides I agree you have to meet a price point to sell the car in the first place -

RC Champion
    I don't think they should stop selling the RTR stuff, but it would be nice for those of us that are RC addicts to have the option to buy a slightly upgraded rolling chassis. I know I would have gladly paid $200-225ish for a roller with no electronics but with some of the common upgrades, threaded pivot ball caps, rocker bearings, steel balls, push rods/turnbuckles, and an assortment of shock springs. Maybe they could market it as the racer kit and include dish wheels and response pro tires and a clear body or unpainted prographics as well?

I think the posts above point out what I was saying,,,everyone has an idea of how they wish the car was sold. On the other side of the coin my son who works at the LHS was just complaining how Traxxas is now selling most of the cars in 3 flavors, one version with a lipo, one with nimh, and one with no battery. For them that means 3x the stock and inventory to keep track of.

I like my son's idea,,,,he wishes they sold the cars as a car with no radio battery or charger. Then offer upgrade kits with varying levels or accessories. One kit would have everything, a radio, battery, charger etc. Another kit may not have the transmitter but a receiver battery and charger, and a third kit with only battery and charger. Some fine tuning on the kits may be in order but you get the basic idea. From his point of view it would be easier to sell the car then pick the kit the customer needed to run the car if he needed an accessory kit at all, some of us would not need the accessory kit .
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

That is an ingenious idea... simply brilliant.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    That is a great idea Dadx2!

RC Enthusiast
    Agreed. That's a fine idea, i hope traxxas takes it on board.

RC Enthusiast
    An extension would be to then sell conversion kits. That would take some of the guess work out of it for people not overly experienced with conversions. They could roll out a 1/16 line-up that looked like:
    Current model RTRs (brushed or brushless)
    Base 1/16 roller (Revo or Slash/Rally)
    Electronics kits (as above)
    "Conversion" kits for popular models, with clear body

RC Qualifier
    Bahhh, marketing company's with big number's , it's the same thing everywhere! MOney, money...

Traxxas is a company that sell rtr's that are the fastest of all rtr's!

It's their brand, fastest name is RC

And the other half of the money is in upgrades parts and stock parts to buy, buy buy buy buy buy...

But they should introduce roller's with all traxxas upgrades and without electronics to the same price they sell an RTR!

Easy, they will gain more money then coming up with nich cars that only 2 people out of 100 fans of rc want!

With a roller coming out of the merv (best selled rc on the world) with all the traxxas upgrades without electronics, they will sell that better then the drag funny , and monster jam ones... just my opinion...

RC Qualifier
    my take on the kits would be an all or nothing package. selling the truck as a roller, nothing else in the box but the truck and a coupon book. or a full rtr kit with eveything needed.

the coupons would be for txs, rxs, motors, escs, batts and chargers.

The coupons should make the item prices discounted to the same cost as if you bought a kit. coupons would only be valid for 90 days after purchase.

this "build a kit" would reduce the amount of products would have to put out, no 3 models needed.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Enthusiast
    There are some great ideas here and i am glad its not turned into a traxxas bash as i didn't want that, i am a huge traxxas lover, to be fair though to the Merv as dad pointed out. The parts are cheap, thankfully 😁..

RC Qualifier
    +1 for the kit, sell its as a almost rtr then purchase your starter pack beginner nihm battery charger, advance lipo and charger, with just the basic 2.4 transmitter with both. keep some of the basic rtrs like the xl-5 line (level 1) etc for the beginners but for the level 2 or 3 and up stuff offer it with a kit to purchase with it.
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    RTR means getting more beginners into the hobby.

Selling accessory kits is a great idea, however, that involves putting it together yourself, so NOT an RTR.

RC Qualifier
    You can argue it any way you want, but steel hollow balls and hub carriers that aren't sloppy out of the box would add maybe an extra 10 dollars to the price or less and there is no excuse why they aren't standard equipment.

But really what disappoints me is the diff going out everytime you drive the thing. Its really just not acceptable. I bought this for my son to have fun with and he don't have fun if its broken constantly.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    You can argue it any way you want, but steel hollow balls and hub carriers that aren't sloppy out of the box would add maybe an extra 10 dollars to the price or less and there is no excuse why they aren't standard equipment.

But really what disappoints me is the diff going out everytime you drive the thing. Its really just not acceptable. I bought this for my son to have fun with and he don't have fun if its broken constantly.
    Some vehicles come without a slipper clutch, and you know what the chief complaint is? they blow out diffs.

Traxxas gives you the ability to adjust your own slipper. If you choose not to availa yourself of that and you trash diffs, (or do something stupid like land full throttle) that is your fault.

Just cause everyone posts videos about skateparks or insane launches does not mean that is the proper environment for your RC.

Honestly I never stripped a diff until I read about shimming. I did and stripped the diff./

IT was not the shimming that stripped it It was my own idiocy. (I broke a rear bulkhead too)

RC Qualifier
    I really would enjoy traxxas rollers...it seems like that's all I buy when I get a "new" RC. A roller (used) off of Craigslist or the marketplace or something because I already have a bunch of parts but I can also easily see why traxxas makes the rtr's only right now (trying to get new people in the hobby)
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Qualifier
    I don't blow diffs and you are right that proper driving is the difference. But I could give my son my LST2 and he wouldn't break diff each weekend. Not everyone has the control of other people and the vehicle has to be built to withstand at least some abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by igglesfan View Post
    Some vehicles come without a slipper clutch, and you know what the chief complaint is? they blow out diffs.

Traxxas gives you the ability to adjust your own slipper. If you choose not to availa yourself of that and you trash diffs, (or do something stupid like land full throttle) that is your fault.

Just cause everyone posts videos about skateparks or insane launches does not mean that is the proper environment for your RC.

Honestly I never stripped a diff until I read about shimming. I did and stripped the diff./

IT was not the shimming that stripped it It was my own idiocy. (I broke a rear bulkhead too)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    I don't blow diffs and you are right that proper driving is the difference. But I could give my son my LST2 and he wouldn't break diff each weekend. Not everyone has the control of other people and the vehicle has to be built to withstand at least some abuse.
    Yes, I suppose that is a fair statement. I found them stock to be quite durable though. I had no issues until after I read about shimming lol.

I am not really up to snuff on my Nitro vehicles though. Aren't they overall a lot more durable than electric because of the lack of torque?

RC Champion
    Traxxas has the right idea with the 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum.
    No rx/tx,no battery,and a clear body...plus a few added "upgrade" parts.
    I think this setup would do well on several models across the board...1/16 included.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Yes, I suppose that is a fair statement. I found them stock to be quite durable though. I had no issues until after I read about shimming lol.

I am not really up to snuff on my Nitro vehicles though. Aren't they overall a lot more durable than electric because of the lack of torque?
    Don't know, mine is brushless and makes insane amounts of torque.

That's my guess. Then again, I've seen big blocks shred stuff though...
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

RC Qualifier
    I see the benefit to you guys but it would be more difficult for the LHS to stock all these options. There are already over 60 models and now add a few variations you could hit 200 easy. Not cheap to carry that much inventory.

RC Qualifier
    all it needs is upgraded hubs, traxxas makes a part for that and metal balls in the links and it would be fine. Of course now I guess it needs a decent radio too since they started putting a cheaper one in. But to put those in instead of upgrades costs much less, so the total increase to the kit might be 20 dollars including the radio.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    I see the benefit to you guys but it would be more difficult for the LHS to stock all these options. There are already over 60 models and now add a few variations you could hit 200 easy. Not cheap to carry that much inventory.
    That is what they mentioned the "accessory kits"

60 models could easily be 30 or 20 with many accessory kits being shared between models. For instance battery/charger for the minis. 1 kit works for every 1/16 vehicle.

that is the only viable option I can see, make the battery/charger an optional addon. But it isnt really worth it, what will it change the price of the vehicle $5 maybe $6?

Rollers are available all over, so Traxxas needing to do it is not really necessary. They should just stick to their current method. It is working very well for them.

RC Enthusiast
    Its working out great for them but not so great for the consumer.

That is what they mentioned the "accessory kits"

Rollers are available all over, so Traxxas needing to do it is not really necessary. They should just stick to their current method. It is working very well for them.