RC Enthusiast

Cool Nitro NEWB!!! Jato 3.3 Questions...

Hey guys,

I'm a 21 yr old male looking to get my first RC Car (well the real ones anyway). I have never had an electric nor nitro car. Although that is true, I am looking at getting a Jato 3.3 for my first one. I'm pretty made up with my mind but am very open to suggestion, advice, etc. I am looking to learn about nitro and it's whole set up from you guys & having my own. What do you think of my decision? Any words of advice lol?

Read all you can about nitro and how to tune. Download the manual under the Support tab above and read up on it. Go to Youtube and watch videos (Traxxas' and Squirrelod) on tuning nitro engines. These engines are not like your lawn mower engine where it is tune once and you're good for the season. Be prepared for much frustration as you learn how to tune.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks bro! Anything else I should know about the Jato? I have done a lot of research, video watching and all... What is the
    whole concept about "running rich" mean?

RC Qualifier
    " Be prepared for much frustration as you learn how to tune"

This is soooooooo true with Nitro.
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah it seems like a lot.... Is this a good video? >>> http://youtu.be/pEGjExP9GkM

RC Qualifier
    Im not trying to turn you away from Nitro at all ApolloDPC3, but in my experience most newbies soon switch to electric (brushed/brushless) due to the frustrations behind tuning. But Double G is probably one of the best in here for Nitro questions, and should guide you wisley as he did me. But you'll notice my sig below

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloDPC3 View Post
    What is the whole concept about "running rich" mean?
    Engines run the most efficiently at an optimum air/fuel ratio. Gasoline auto engines like it around 14.7:1 which means 14.7 parts of air per 1 part fuel. Lean would be more air than this, rich would mean more fuel.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...g_rich_vs_lean
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    OK, Double G show me your ways.... I'm willing to just jump in and stick to nitro. I want the dollar amount of my truck to be seen, heard and acknowledged. No offense FiremanJBI lbs... From what I have seen thus far tuning doesn't seem to frustrating.

Hey Double G, can you refer others to this forum I'd like A lot of input about my decision...
    Last edited by Double G; 08-28-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: language

RC Qualifier
    Well I should say just frustrations with tuning, its just not as user friendly thats all. You most often can't just fire it up and run constantly day in and day out. Tweaking and tuning is fun dont get me wrong, but Nitro is a little more involved then most anticipate. But have fun with the new rig ApolloDPC3

RC Enthusiast
    I haven't gotten it yet and yeah it seems like there is A LOT of crap to finagle with under the shell case...

RC Qualifier
    My first nitro was a T-Maxx, I then purchased a Revo 3.3 a week later. My adiction grew quickly

This picture was taken about a month after my first Nitro lol

RC Enthusiast
    Are all of those electric?

From what I can tell, left to right: yes, yes, yes, no, no.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    correct, correct, correct, correct, correct lol. Very good Double G

RC Enthusiast
    I knew that too lol.... But seriously tho anything else I need to know about nitros? Jatos? Accessories I will need etc?

RC Qualifier
    I would make sure you get one with the EZ start system as the pull start is a pain. If its a new engine, I always found it helped to loosen the glow plug (as recommened by Double G) until the engine started, then tighten it up. I ran 30% fuel in my 3.3 also.

RC Qualifier
    RPM Parts are worth every penny (a-arms, skids, bumpers, etc).

RC Enthusiast
    Cool, thanks...

RC Enthusiast
    @ApolloDPC3 Im new to this hobby the jato is my first real nitro car and i love it.... the guys are right tuning is a pain but after awhile you get used too it. And the jato is a good choice. Like firemanJBI RPM a-arms and front bumper they are alot better then stock and a on board temp gauge and fuel filter too

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks... Got any links for those products?

RC Enthusiast
    Towerhobbies.com or ebay

RC Racer
    Nitro is fun, Just watch the videos and read about tuning .. Be patient. Don't rush go thru the steps. It Can get frustrating.
    The forum is your friend for troubleshooting. Many knowledgeable members that will give you a hand.
    Jato was my first Nitro.. its a great car.
    Have fun

RC Enthusiast
    I appreciate it... I'll keep you guys updates when I get the Jato 3.3. Look forward to the guidance...

RC Enthusiast

Post Jato 3.3 or Rustler VXL??? Faster? Durability? Accessory costs? Etc... GO!!!

I am just trying to decide whether I really want to go electric or Nitro. My mind is made on nitro but the Rustler seems like a pretty good truck!

Oh & by the way I am a NOOB to RC Cars period but am pretty confident and willing to learn anything!

RC Qualifier
    Who will you b playing/bashing with?? Will u be running it at any sort of dirt track or just bashing on asphalt?? U plan on doing any drag racing or high speed runs!?? All of these should be considered before purchase. I'm personally part of the dying breed of jato lovers though.
    FASTEST "recorded/proven" JATO'S-3.3 AND Big block

RC Enthusiast
    Just your normal asphalt driving maybe some off road every now and then... why?