RC poster

Question What the heck are these? (..with shocks, Rustler and others..)

So, anyone know what these parts are and what they are for?

These:

RC Champion
    look at the top of the shock, they are the spacers that hold the shock away from the shock tower for correct spacing. I don't use these anymore as traxxas makes a shoulder type screw that has that built in. just less parts to deal with.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    look at the top of the shock, they are the spacers that hold the shock away from the shock tower for correct spacing. I don't use these anymore as traxxas makes a shoulder type screw that has that built in. just less parts to deal with.
    Ah.. So if I use another screw that doesnt have the shoulder, just a straight even one, thats what I want to use.

Got it, thnkz.

RC Qualifier
    Those little spacers and regular screws are a more reliable way of mounting the shocks than shoulder screws, because the friction between the cap and shoulder causes the screw to loosen, especially with aluminum caps.

Those are actually the spacers that the older Traxxas models with aluminum/fiberglass/graphite shock towers used. Since you couldn't screw a shoulder screw into the tower like on the newer stuff with plastic towers, you would use a longer screw, locknut, spacer, and nyloc nut to attach the shock to the tower. Much better design and the screws don't fall out like on the newer stuff.

Last edited by harry697; 07-17-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Isn't that actually the oil damper mounting oil(classified in the SRT manual). You'll actually want to use that over the screw one supplied with the rustler. It won't were out the Aluminum cap out like the steel screw will.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Isn't that actually the oil damper mounting oil(classified in the SRT manual). You'll actually want to use that over the screw one supplied with the rustler. It won't were out the Aluminum cap out like the steel screw will.
    It would be better than the stock Rustler screw, but most people don't go through the effort to find the correct screws to use with them. Then again, I've had a set of big bores on my old Slash for 3 or more years and there really isn't any noticeable wear after using the stock steel shoulder screw.

RC Enthusiast
    i used them to lower my shocks, ha ha, i guess theres many uses a

RC Champion
    I still use them in my Nitro 4tec, but I use the shoulder screws on the Rustler, Slashes and Tmaxx... I've never had a problem with them wearing out the upper shock cap, but I can see that happening if they are driven hard and left on for a long time. Either way works..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3