Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    RC Champion
    Your beach bashing video, was it the sand bar off Spadina Cresent just below Circle Drive N bridge?
    1/10 Xray T3. No Traxxas RCs right now.

RC Champion
    It was out at Bareassed beach... South of town, west side of river.

[Mods, if that above word is a violation, feel free to edit it. I'm not trying to beat or abuse a system, but it accepted the word and it is the only actual known name of the beach to all Saskatonians].
    Last edited by ViperZ; 03-21-2014 at 06:52 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Meh. We over think our builds. stuffs going to break no matter what. Changing a chassis is a good enough reason to do some maintenance

That said I may get one just for the handling, or I may not I'm leaning for but not because I want to prevent bad stuff from happening.
    I think its worth it for the handling, you have one on your rally GT8 so you know how much flex it reduces. Also gives another way to add more color inside the chassis.
    Slash 4x4, Rusty VXL(project), Slash 2wd(project).

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    I think its worth it for the handling, you have one on your rally GT8 so you know how much flex it reduces. Also gives another way to add more color inside the chassis.
    So true

A sneak peek before I lay some paint, maybe tomorrow.... Trying something different to recover here It still maybe be my all black ninja truck

RC Qualifier
    Ooooo......your such a tease....looks like it's gonna be a good paint design again....but there again I wouldn't expect anything less from the great viperZ....

RC Champion
    Ah, Simon, thanks for making me want to wake up in the mornings

I need to custom blend a small amount of paint today for this project.

RC Champion
    I need to custom blend a small amount of paint today for this project.
    Oooohhhh that sounds promising....

RC Racer
    how many coats of that liquid mask do you have to use to get it to peel off nice and easy and whast the dry time between coats... curious of how much time does this save you vs. regular bluetape??? and do you feel like your getting cleaner lines???

RC Qualifier
    Lol.....now were talking bing....custom colour....GREAT....

RC Champion
    Oooohhhh that sounds promising....
    Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    Lol.....now were talking bing....custom colour....GREAT....
    Oh man, the expectations are huge! Nothing crazy, I just needed a small batch of grey, to airbrush, which the hobby store didn't have, so I picked up some grey acrylic paint at the local craft store to use. Either that or I ws going to mix some white and black Parma to get grey

Quote Originally Posted by MooGooLikeIDo View Post
    how many coats of that liquid mask do you have to use to get it to peel off nice and easy and whast the dry time between coats... curious of how much time does this save you vs. regular bluetape??? and do you feel like your getting cleaner lines???
    They say the more coats (thicker) the better to peel. This is the first time I've used this for a RC body, but no, I don't think you can beat a cleaner line/edge than a tape line. The stuff dries pretty quick but they say to let it dry overnight before spraying...

I suppose the time saved is dependant on what is required. In this case I would have had to cut splash tape stencils, which would have worked well too, but it was easier to just draw on the body and paint around it with the liquid mask. I suppose the results will say if it was a success or not. TBD

RC Champion
    Sprayed in some color this morning.... The Liquid Mask is a real buggar to remove if the coat is thin I'm going to let the paint cure a bit more and then try removing with a latex glove on. That or paint on some more thicker coast to see if that helps... Provided it doent remove the paint

Air brush locked and loaded

Not looking like much if you ask me

should just sprayed the body one solid color

RC Champion
    For such an easy paint project, this one sure has had it share of difficulties...

After spraying on the black and grey, I had a hard time removing the liquid mask in areas where it was put on thinly, that being most of the random splash section. As I was trying to remove it was also removing the thin sections of paint splash. The drivers side faired better than the passenger's side.

So, once I got all the darn LM off, I remarked areas I would have to paint. Painted on some more LM (after I swore I would never use that stuff again ) to redo the radon splash. Sprayed on the main color coats. It's drying now, and I only hope the LM can be removed leaving the splash sections to be repainted, again.

It's not idea as I will be spraying dark over light, but a backer of silver should help with that. Also had to re mask my windows as removing the LM lifted the supplied masks...

Stay tuned

The Left side faired better than the right

Almost removed all of the splash, I had to remark it and redo it

RC Qualifier
    Lol.....your sooooooo modest.....it's shaping up nicely dude and boy oh boy you have some patience....I would have just gone with the ninja look by now....and I think sometimes the simplest of things in our heads are the most hardest master in practice.....as I found with the gulf livery....

RC Champion
    Airbrush the mask on, works much better than brushing and you get a thicker and more consistent coat. I used liquid mask on the only body I've done and brushed it and never wanted to use it again before I experimented with masking tape and found that to be even worse.

RC Champion
    Lol.....your sooooooo modest.....it's shaping up nicely dude and boy oh boy you have some patience....I would have just gone with the ninja look by now....and I think sometimes the simplest of things in our heads are the most hardest master in practice.....as I found with the gulf livery....
    So true Simon, it has recovered, somewhat to be presentable. I'm just working on the finishing touches tonight. Just taking a break to surf the net. Maybe some pictures soon

Airbrush the mask on, works much better than brushing and you get a thicker and more consistent coat. I used liquid mask on the only body I've done and brushed it and never wanted to use it again before I experimented with masking tape and found that to be even worse.
    Yeah I'm not sure how well my airbrush would spray it as it's pretty thick. This pattern called for hand brushing. Next time, if I try this again, I will hand cut tape masks instead. I can't say I will be using LM again soon. I prefer old fashion masking tape

RC Champion
    Yeah I'm not sure how well my airbrush would spray it as it's pretty thick. This pattern called for hand brushing. Next time, if I try this again, I will hand cut tape masks instead. I can't say I will be using LM again soon. I prefer old fashion masking tape
    How about cutting you own vinyl masks?

RC Champion
    How about cutting you own vinyl masks?
    Very possible

Okay, so here is the results of that total recovery mode project. The Body is a JConcepts Illusion Raptor. The colors used were Tamiya Pearl White, Parma Black, Parma White, Tamiya Silver, Silver Paint pen, and that darn Liquid Mask.

Lets say it's not one of my better results, but it was to be a basher body, so it's was great for me to try something different than I typically do. It was a learning experience of recover for me. Its funny actually as this body was fitted back when I had the Snow Tracks on it, and it was to be painted a Arctic Cat Green theme... Interesting where we end up given time.

RC Racer
    ^^^ what may be a learning curve for you still comes out eye candy for us... nice job man this look super sweet i like the subtle details with the hood vents black on the back and the black running the wheel wells and rockers just gives it a real deep cut look I like it and the tear work looks sharp man... keep it up... i have even more mixed feelings on this liquid mask now though...

RC Champion
    Thanks MooGoo! I appreciate it! Liquid Mask as it's purpose, and I'm sure those that use it regularly are proficient with it, I'm not one of them

RC Qualifier
    And as the crowds cheer and roar.....yes viperZ has pulled it out the bag once again....looks awesome bing fantastic job you've done there....love your attention to detail it looks soooo real....loving your little man in the cab to......also the knuckles look sweet....mighty fine work

RC Competitor
    That looks awesome!

Man that is sweet Viper, I love liquid mask but have yet to master it.
    I have one blank body but think I'm doing it all black since I've seen it they have a unique look.
    Your bodies make it easy to look at another raptor lol, just kidding but us Chevy boys love our trucks.
    As stated a few time above, your bodies rival prepainted units.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    ...As stated a few time above, your bodies rival prepainted units.
    +1 on this! What an amazing looking truck!! And Arctic Cat would be a purrfect name for this beast!

RC Enthusiast
    What tires/rims are those?

RC Champion
    Great recovery viper, got yourself somethin' to beat on for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by smonkman View Post
    1/8th Pro-Line Split Six wheels, can't tell what the tires are though.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by smonkman View Post
    1/8th proline buggy wheels and proline knuckles

RC Champion
    Thanks for your comments guys!

There are some pretty nice pre-paints out there, so to be told I'm in the same league is a great complement indeed. I wish I had the talent and creativity of some of those.

There are many times I do like a single color paint job as well. At times they don't look overdone, and more scale car like. I may have to treat myself and do a few of those

As for the rims and tires, thanks for the covering guys. They are Proline Split Six and Proline Knuckles in the 1/8 buggy size.

It's good to get this body off my bench so I can move on to some newer projects, but it was fun as well, as always, thanks again!

RC Qualifier
    Looks great. Nice paint job

RC Champion
    ^^^ Thanks!

I think I may tear it down and rebuild everything, for the season ahead.... Paint another body

RC Qualifier
    Wow! Great job

Sent from my neXus⁴ using tapatalk 2
    <P4de VXL|Castle 3800kv|MM2|MIP|STRC|Proline|SPC>

RC Qualifier
    Hi bing would it be possible to take a few pics of detailing the man in the cab plzzzzzzzz?....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SlowTRX View Post
    Wow! Great job
    Thanks Man!

Hi bing would it be possible to take a few pics of detailing the man in the cab plzzzzzzzz?....
    Sure, I didn't take pics as I was doing it, but I have before and afters... It's not completed yet as I need to put some gauges in the dash pod, and some clean up painting.

As she came. I hand painted the visor on the inside first. They sprayed the helmet orange on the inside. Next I sprayed the silver on the underside. Hand painted the suit, gloves, seat and belts on the outside.

This is the unit overall

This is how it mounts on the chassis

RC Champion
    Does it affect your temps at all?

RC Champion
    No idea, I haven't ran it with it yet. I don't think I'm going to run it often, if at all. Maybe for a few glamor shots. It's more for static display.

If I was to suspect, I don't think it would be terrible, it's not like it incases the chassis, there is still plenty of air space between.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks viperZ.....I'd only use for display purposes too....looks really cool...why the paint inside and outside method?....is it made of lexan?

RC Champion
    Yes Simon, it's made of Lexan. The reason I did the paint on inside is to give the helmet, visor and sheet aluminum the typical gloss and shine of painting underneath. The paint on top is to reduce the shine to make the soft surfaces like his gloves, racing suit, belts and seat a bit more real looking by being more mat finish...

I suppose a final dull coat would do it, but I'm happy with it as is.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks bing.....Your one step ahead all the time....great detail....and so you should be happy with it....it looks amazing

RC Champion
    Thanks Simon! I need to print up some gauges and call it done

RC Champion
    Well, It can't always be about glitz, glamour paint and lights beauty shots.... Sometimes you have to dig in to the workings and take care of the business

After partially assembling Rally-2, I decided it was time to overhaul the Ultimate after a season of abuse by the elements. I took apart all units with bearings, cleaned them and repacked them with grease for the upcoming season. As well I took apart the diffs, cleaned and repacked them as well.

The diffs were pretty clean as were the motor bearings. About the grungiest parts were the outer diff bearings, and wheel bearings. One inner wheel bearing actual fell apart as I took the spray cleaner to it. Another one came apart in the soak. It feels really good to do this and get it done, much like when you finally get that piece of popcorn flossed out of your teeth

Main Shaft clutch bearing was good, so I just cleaned and repacked that. I notice the front bearings were definitely cleaner than the backs. Of note, there was still some marginal grains of sand and slivers of woodchips coming from last seasons bash fests. So I think she is ready for a new season.

Notice how dirty the cleaning fluid from the bearings were.

Front bearings repacked

Front reassembled

Front motor bearing

Ready for another season!

RC Qualifier
    Hey viper have you ran sweeps I'm really looking into them but I want a couple reviews first. Thanks