Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    brilliant report bing.....major carnage....shame but as we push these trucks it comes with a price....and true its not that much fun as we push them to the limits...always tweeking and repairing........running on 3s for me is so much fun and definitely my limit...and its quick enough to make me giggle a lot...and that to me is such a wow factor...
    Thanks Simon! You are so right, and I should know better.. When something is pushed to an extreme envelope, it ceases being what it once was and becomes something else. In this case a Monster I'm going back to 3s for this and have serious reservations on the 4s for the Rally.

I ended up robbing t a bearing from the Rally kit to replace the Ultimate's bearing, however I ordered a set of ARP Ceramic bearings for the Rally, so it shouldn't feel so bad.

During my rebuild yesterday of the Ultimate, I noticed the clutch pads are starting to break up, that is it looks like some end peices are breaking off. There is still lots of wear height to the pads, but they may not be surviving as well structurally... Maybe I need to introduce a bit more slip..?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Thanks Simon! You are so right, and I should know better.. When something is pushed to an extreme envelope, it ceases being what it once was and becomes something else. In this case a Monster I'm going back to 3s for this and have serious reservations on the 4s for the Rally.

I ended up robbing t a bearing from the Rally kit to replace the Ultimate's bearing, however I ordered a set of ARP Ceramic bearings for the Rally, so it shouldn't feel so bad.

During my rebuild yesterday of the Ultimate, I noticed the clutch pads are starting to break up, that is it looks like some end peices are breaking off. There is still lots of wear height to the pads, but they may not be surviving as well structurally... Maybe I need to introduce a bit more slip..?
    I would think it would need more tightening since its breaking up and that is caused by heat i would think tightening would help it

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakesurfer98 View Post
    I would think it would need more tightening since its breaking up and that is caused by heat i would think tightening would help it
    The clutch is actually locked down...

Maybe aluminum pads?

RC Qualifier
    The clutch is actually locked down...

Maybe aluminum pads?
    Wow thats really weird i guess you could try aluminum pads.

RC Qualifier

The other problem i see is we strive for perfection and realistically this is a 1/10 th scale vehicle doing speeds of 60 mph+.if that was a full size vehicle we are talking 600mph..now for that perfection we need a salt lake levelled and spotlessly clean...wind speeds to be a minimum....and a full team of engineers with a huge budget.....need I go on?....so in theory we are doing a really good job.....that said even with the xo-1 it still needs pretty flat and smooth roads to run and ive seen them blow off course to wind speeds....so forward thinking and upwards to great R/C action.....on a lighter note i use aluminium pads in my slipper and aren't you getting the graphite ones with your HR clutch? .....

RC Champion
    So true Simon, well said!! For the 60mph speed runs I did with my Sprint2 McLaren, it caught some wind or road bumps that caused it to flip insanely through the air while it hurled forward at +60mph.... Aerodynamics is a big factor at this point.

Yes I did order a Graphite clutch and it arrived today. I just finished installing and testing it. It seems to work pretty well. I adjusted it to 1/3 turn backed off and will run and keep checking the wear pattern of it. There were no set up instructions so I just went with gut feel.

The Clutch kit

Its intended to use 2x the pads for more contact. Here it is with a standard E-Revo plate and 3 pad array

Here it is with half the pads if you were to run a 6 pad array

Here is how I'm running it with a 4 array graphite pads. These are longer pads. They did not have the direct size for the 6 array in stock so I chose this for the time being

OEM Clutch

Hot Racing Clutch compared to the OEM Slash Ultimate clutch

Hot Racing Assembled

Installed

While I was tinkering, I decided to apply 20% drag brake to the Mamba Monster 2 and see how I like it.

Why aren't you using all 6 pads? Isn't more contact better?

2,800th post!
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Why aren't you using all 6 pads? Isn't more contact better?

2,800th post!
    I could not find the TRX15GS pads in stock, so I went with the TRX15GSL (long) for the time being... 4 pads is all that will fit. I'll keep looking and as soon as I find them I'll get them. I actually think these Longs are going to work well considering they offer more contact than the standard E-Revo 3 array.

To back track a little bit, speed is quite addictive. My original Slash 4x4 has been almost exclusively used for speed runs. To be honest with, everyone I had really lost a lot of interest in the hobby because every time I took the truck out, something would break the 2400 sct is a beast on 4s and I am geared 22/50 to boot. My Ultimate Edition pulled me back into the hobby as it has only had one broken part since February 2012. I warn everyone, speed is a whole different addiction on its own.

Great looking truck and it is nice seeing all the things that you are going through. Great job
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    All that bling bing.....it's making me drool....Lol....looks pretty meaty...lets us know how you get on with it...instructions?...really?....a man of your wisdom.....Lol.

RC Racer
    Wow, 12 page thread. I think that i never followed a post that long on the internet in years. Great writing, keep the pics comin, very instructive too.

RC Competitor
    20% Drag brake seems a lot! I would go with max 10% maybe even 5%! But hey you can change it fast, but I put my max brake at 25%...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    To back track a little bit, speed is quite addictive. My original Slash 4x4 has been almost exclusively used for speed runs. To be honest with, everyone I had really lost a lot of interest in the hobby because every time I took the truck out, something would break the 2400 sct is a beast on 4s and I am geared 22/50 to boot. My Ultimate Edition pulled me back into the hobby as it has only had one broken part since February 2012. I warn everyone, speed is a whole different addiction on its own.

Great looking truck and it is nice seeing all the things that you are going through. Great job
    Thanks El Sob! I totally agree with you on simple pleasurable fun... I have a big RC plane collection, from High speed Pylon Racers, 1/3 scale Biplane and detailed scale war birds. However the most fun plane to fly I own is a Foam Park Zone P51 Mustang. Its so much fun to fly and is my go to plane if I just want to fly and not worry about anything, even crashing.. It's been crashed many times, but fixed, repainted from stock, and even modified power wise so its a real ripper in the sky. It has no gear so it's hand launch and belly land. It fits in the back seat of my SUV without disassembly, doesn't get any simpler than that

All that bling bing.....it's making me drool....Lol....looks pretty meaty...lets us know how you get on with it...instructions?...really?....a man of your wisdom.....Lol.
    Okay, Instructions..? We don't need no steekin instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Slaysse View Post
    Wow, 12 page thread. I think that i never followed a post that long on the internet in years. Great writing, keep the pics comin, very instructive too.
    Thanks for everyone's contributions to this thread! It's what makes it so nice to come around here, all the great comments and contributions! It's nice to have a place to sort of call home on the Net !

Quote Originally Posted by K_1_M View Post
    20% Drag brake seems a lot! I would go with max 10% maybe even 5%! But hey you can change it fast, but I put my max brake at 25%...
    Yeah, Maybe, but I have to try it and see...
    Last edited by ViperZ; 09-10-2013 at 10:32 PM.

RC Qualifier

Cadillac of the skies.....Nice...Very nice indeed...awesome plane dude....

RC Champion
    Thanks Simon, It is the al lot of fun!

RC Qualifier
    I know this is off the beaten track.....but would that be a good plane to start with?....I can get a really good rtr deal on that one....but have read its more of an intermediate flyer?.....what's your thoughts my good man?

RC Champion
    I know this is off the beaten track.....but would that be a good plane to start with?....I can get a really good rtr deal on that one....but have read its more of an intermediate flyer?.....what's your thoughts my good man?
    I suppose it really depends on the person and how easy you can pick it up. I would suggest a RC Simulator. It's a great tool to get orientation. Probably the hardest thing about flying RC planes is orientation, and discerning when it a spec in the sky which way it's heading, pointing or going.... A slow easy flyer like an over wing trainer model gives you time to sort that out, and will even right itself if the sticks are let go of. The P51 mustang does not tend to do that and will sort of stay in the position you last left it, or continue on its banking if that's where you left it... The Park Zone Model I have is an easier flyer from most low wing models, but it still is an intermediate plane that does require input to fly...

That's not to say you can't fly it out of the gates, but you should have a bit of simulation time just so you don't need as much recovery time when you are in the air... If you chose to go that rout first... How's that for an convoluted answer?
    Last edited by ViperZ; 09-11-2013 at 11:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I suppose it really depends on the person and how easy you can pick it up. I would suggest a RC Simulator. It's a great tool to get orientation. Probably the hardest thing about flying RC planes is orientation, and discerning when it a spec in the sky which way it's heading, pointing or going.... A slow easy flyer like an over wing trainer model gives you time to sort that out, and will even right itself if the sticks are let go of. The P51 mustang does not tend to do that and will sort of stay in the position you last left it, or continue on its banking if that's where you left it... The Park Zone Model I have is an easier flyer from most low wing models, but it still is an intermediate plane that does require input to fly...

That's not to say you can't fly it out of the gates, but you should have a bit of simulation time just so you don't need as much recovery time when you are in the air... If you chose to go that rout first... How's that for an convoluted answer?
    Lol....had to look up convoluted....that's great dude and thanks that helps a lot and will look into it in more detail this evening...

RC Champion
    Lol....had to look up convoluted....that's great dude and thanks that helps a lot and will look into it in more detail this evening...
    Okay, now who's doing the nail biting stuff? Can't wait to hear your plan!

RC Racer

!!!

I do a little fly in' myself.

RC Racer
    hey viper you might wanna quite down on the flying stuff before the admins give you warning point for it just sayin man.. not that i am complaining just might wanna watch urself is all

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderZ View Post
    I do a little fly in' myself.
    Nice collection you have going!

Quote Originally Posted by BEvans454 View Post
    hey viper you might wanna quite down on the flying stuff before the admins give you warning point for it just sayin man.. not that i am complaining just might wanna watch urself is all
    I don't see the real issue.. Its RC related in conversation, and makes good reading... However it would not be the first time I was wrong about things here.

Okay, on topic stuff then, apparently a battery strap from a HCG slash will not fit a LCG Slash? True or false?

RC Racer
    I don't see the real issue.. Its RC related in conversation, and makes good reading... However it would not be the first time I was wrong about things here.
    trust me i understand what your sayin but i was reading other threads before that got off the subject of a slash 4x4 and went on to talk mainly about servos for a wile and the admins came in and said that the person that started the thread is getting warning points and if they didn't get back on the topic of a slash 4x4 then the thread was goin to be closed down so it may be RC related but it is not Slash 4x4 related i just don't want to see you get into trouble for it cause your threads are great reads and help me a lot on rc related stuff that all

RC Champion
    The quit posting about it, you could have PM'd me about this rather than bring more attention to it

Just answer the battery strap question and we'll be back on track...

RC Champion
    Got a new radio for my Traxxas RC cars

Happy...?

RC Racer
    srry now i feel like a jerk my bad and from what i understand false to the battery strap question because they changed the positioning of the battery with the LCG so now it takes less strap then the HCG... and srry again didnt think about PM my bad

RC Champion
    No worries... I ask about the battery Strap as I picked up an Aluminum battery strap for the Slash but it will not fit my Ultimate, the ears are narrower on the regular Slash it would seem.

We just converted a HCG to a LCG, I need to find the chassis and strap block then and compare....

RC Champion
    Yea the strap is way different, but much simpler.... when I have time I'll pm you bout the flying I do.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Yea the strap is way different, but much simpler.... when I have time I'll pm you bout the flying I do.
    Yeah it would seem it is a different strap altogether...

Cool, BEvans is right, let try to keep in on topic of my Slash Ultimate

RC Qualifier
    Okay, now who's doing the nail biting stuff? Can't wait to hear your plan!
    lol...I will keep you informed....gotta get this shell done first........Hmmmmm.....viperZ and riderZ....Very familiar ring to you plane guys....and simonZ just doenst have the same ring to it ....Lol....

RC Qualifier
    What a killer radio! Nice work!

RC Champion
    Thanks Clint! It feels really good so far. However I may have found it range, which is far, but not as far as I would have thought. I may need to move the antenna location in my Rally build as not too much wire is in the tube, and more running along the chassis to the tube. I need to get it vertical sooner out of the receiver box.

I posted this in my Rally Build Thread, I'm reposting here for interests sake as both cars are really brothers.

Rally Pilot Run
    Last edited by ViperZ; 09-14-2013 at 09:13 AM.

RC Competitor
    Nice Rally!
    And nice E46 M3! Think I saw some StopTech action going on with the brakes there!
    How did you mount the camera? Was it the headstrap or chest strap?

RC Champion
    Nice Rally!
    And nice E46 M3! Think I saw some StopTech action going on with the brakes there!
    How did you mount the camera? Was it the headstrap or chest strap?
    Thanks! Stop Tech 4 piston calipers wt 355x32mm Slotted Rotors... I see you know your cars and stuff

The camera used is a Drift HD Ghost. I have it mounted on the goggle mount that came with it using a homemade headband.

It does have a digital zoom that I could try zooming in just a tiny bit next time. Or I'll try shooting with my Nikon that allows me to use all my zoom lens...

The actual speed passes ar e about 2:00 minutes in. I had intended this car to be a Rally car, but it seems I'm progressing it to a GT8... I guess we'll see, maybe time for a 3rd unit, Ultimate/Rally/GT8...?

RC Competitor
    Thanks! Stop Tech 4 piston calipers wt 355x32mm Slotted Rotors... I see you know your cars and stuff

The camera used is a Drift HD Ghost. I have it mounted on the goggle mount that came with it using a homemade headband.

It does have a digital zoom that I could try zooming in just a tiny bit next time. Or I'll try shooting with my Nikon that allows me to use all my zoom lens...

The actual speed passes ar e about 2:00 minutes in. I had intended this car to be a Rally car, but it seems I'm progressing it to a GT8... I guess we'll see, maybe time for a 3rd unit, Ultimate/Rally/GT8...?
    Love cars! IŽll post some pics of our shop when IŽm starting my racebuild on the slash. Then youŽll see that we have great love for motorsport all around!
    What does that ghost camera cost? It seems to be nicer when filming by hand than the GoPro!

RC Champion
    Love cars! IŽll post some pics of our shop when IŽm starting my racebuild on the slash. Then youŽll see that we have great love for motorsport all around!
    What does that ghost camera cost? It seems to be nicer when filming by hand than the GoPro!
    Very cool!

The HD Ghost was about $420 CAD, with a full complement of accessories (2 batteries, 4 style of mounts, a suction cup mount... etc). I like it for the built in LCD monitor, rotatable lens and because it doesn't look as dorky wearing it while skiing or in other helmet use sports

RC Competitor
    Nice little camera anyways! Think I need one! ;-)

RC Champion
    Thanks! Yes, its been a good tool and has some very nice features.

RC Champion
    Did some speed runs with the Ultimate and Rally yesterday. I quite like the 20% drag brake introduced to the ESC. It's not a drastic as I thought it may be, but really makes it a bit easier to just be lazy and let the system work for you.

Anyway, enjoy the video! I recommend full screen HD view.

RC Competitor
    Nice runs!
    How is the the new transmitter working for you?