Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Rifles

RC Qualifier

Air Rifles

I had a BB gun sometime back and it broke and so I've been without an air gun for a few years.
    Went to my grandpa's house in Michigan a few weeks back for vacation and got to shoot the .22, sadly didn't shoot the .204
    I like shooting and it's fun. I don't hunt, but have a bow set up for hunting. Go figure.

Anyways, I want a high powered air rifle to use.

I've seen some that have the power of a .22 and that's crazy!
    I'd like to have one with that power.

I live out in the country so we get pest, and are usually out of .22 bullets so we either trap it and kill it or let the dog get it. I'd prefer to just S.O.S and be done with it. Also I would possibly use it to go over to my friends house and go ground hog hunting, he has tons to kill.

Any suggestions?

I know a few of you own lots of real guns and I'm hoping you'll chime in and give some.

God is good.

RC Qualifier
    If you want the big power, you need to look into the spring piston pellet guns. They are the ones that the barrel breaks over. Most of them are shooting atleast 1000fps, with regular lead pellets, some are shooting as fast as 1600fps, with the gamo ammo. That is a lighter pellet, that is coated with gold, to give it less resistance in the barrell. I have a gamo whisper, and a crossman phantom. The big difference is the price. The gamo one goes for around $400, and the crossman goes for around a $100. They both shoot really well. If you put a scope on a spring piston, don't skimp. The gun has no recoil, but it is a pretty violent impact transferred to the scope when that spring pushes the piston forward. An el cheapo scope will probably not last very long. Some sell package deals though with a scope already on there. Hope all this helps you out.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    I've looked at them recently myself, And yes some that are as powerfull as a .22caliber rifle. But price wise their pretty close to the real deal (give or take on quality and manufacture) Ammo is cheap for .22 rounds IMO I would just grab a .22 I think in the long run you would be better off IMO.
    rusler vxl, rusler xl-5, jato 3.3, losi 5ive T

RC Qualifier
    I would like a .22 but I know I wouldn't be allowed to get a real gun. So if I ask/ buy myself an air rifle, I'd think I'd be ok.

The fastest I've seen is only 1300. Where do you find 1600?
    God is good.

RC Qualifier
    Not sure how old you are? But you're buying a gun no matter how you phrase this or route you take. Either way you go you should get permission first. And second, is I would look into a safety course. I'm a big time hunter for both firearms and bow hunting safety is the key! And they may have a gun club in your area that has a youth league (like trap shooting) I know mine does. They most likely will offer a safety course as well. If not they will point you in the right direction.

samsung galaxy note 2

RC Qualifier
    I'm 17. I've been taught how to handle/carry a gun correctly. I'm not sure if I will be hunting this year so a safety course may happen next year. I think a local fire dept. offered one for free. Not sure when it is though.

I would like to find a gun I want, then ask permission. Just the way I've always done things.
    God is good.

RC Qualifier
    I have a 22 cal break barrel pellet rifle by Crosman, at 50 yards it will take out a varmint just as good as a 22 rifle. I use pellets with BB's stuck in the ends. I bought them pellets at the same time I bought a 50 cal muzzle loader and they checked my ID for the pellets but not the 50 cal. I also have a Crosman 22 cal CO2 pistol, it's not as powerful as the rifle but it will tear up a can as good as any real gun. The rifle shots thru a can so fast it don't even move it, you have to go look at the can to see if you hit it. The pistol makes holes almost as big as a 9mm and sends the cans flying. I use the rifle for varmints and the pistol for cans.

RC Qualifier
    What's the difference between a .22 caliber and .177 caliber air rifle?

I'm essentially a noob when it comes to this stuff.. Lol
    God is good.

RC Qualifier
    The difference is the diameter of the pellet. A .22 is .22inches in diameter and a .177 is .177 inches in diameter. Ie .22 caliber and .17 caliber. The pros of a .22 would be the mass, which would impart more kinetic energy on impact. The con is it will be slower. You can also find a two barrel combo. I think beeman makes a pretty nice. Then you can switch back and forth

Is my phone smarter than me?

When i googled it said the difference is .043, lol. It would appear it is merely the size of the pellet or "slug". I would recommend staying with the .177 since it is probably cheaper and easier to get pellets for. If you are 17 and are responsible I don't see what difference owning a .22 or high powered air rifle is. Both can kill and seriously maim if used irresponsibly, you should sit down with your parents and talk with them about it. If you are responsible then they would most likely be willing to allow you to purchase a decent 22 rifle. You aren't talking about buying some $20 daisy lever action wal-mart special here they should realize that before agreeing to either.
    Don’t handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    So I will want to go with .177, got it!

Thanks rjm!

I asked my mom what she would do if I were to buy a high powered air rifle and she just shook her head asked why and walked away, kinda in a sarcastic way..

In the long run, for me, an air rifle would be cheaper.
    Maybe I will start setting money off to the side from odd ball jobs I do here and there to save for a nice .22 and buy that next year... Who knows what's going to change with the gun laws.

I know if I asked my dad if I could buy a .22 he'd say no without even considering it.
    A pellet gun, he's more likely to say yes..said yes to a small BB gun.. Just the way he is.. Lol

This is the previus BB gun I had before hand, only the stock was different looking..
    http://www.airgundepot.com/daisy-retro-red-ryder.html
    Last edited by ithrowstones; 07-16-2013 at 06:25 AM.
    God is good.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    I'm 17. I've been taught how to handle/carry a gun correctly. I'm not sure if I will be hunting this year so a safety course may happen next year. I think a local fire dept. offered one for free. Not sure when it is though.

I would like to find a gun I want, then ask permission. Just the way I've always done things.
    I was not saying that you would not ask. It's hard not knowing what age group you fell into. Reason I suggest a course is it would show initiative in your part to your family when asking. Just because you where tough how to handle carry (assuming by someone in your family or close friend) Imo it's best to sit down with someone license to give you all the info needed. In my line of work over the years I have seen many freak accidents involving gun's. One was a law enforcement officer cleaning her standard issue side arm when accidentally it was discharged during cleaning. Needless to say she was not injured by this, but the woman below her was fatally shot. This is just one of many I've seen like this. So I assume that her safety training far exceeds anything that you have been tough to this point? even when you do get one people tend to not stay on top of their safety (it's when they become to relaxed/comfortable with firearms Imo) I'm by no means trying to put you down, just simply making sure you're safe is all. I love hunting and gun's, heck owning everything from fifty caliber to ak's and in between. And still to this day I will sit in on any safety course that's offered at any club when I can never to old to learn and freshen up.

samsung galaxy note 2

RC Qualifier
    If your parents are against you having a gun of any kind, you should check into as mentioned a safety course. If there is a gun, or shooting club in your area, alot of them will have free safety classes. The local 4-h club puts on air gun safety course's here about four times a year. I own alot of guns, and my two children ages 3 and 11 have there own guns. In my house, any gun being powder, or air fired is locked in the gun safe, locked inside of a closet. They only come out when we go to the range or the farm. I educate my children all of the time on gun safety. But as I was saying, maybe if you took a safety course on your own, that would show your parents that you have good intentions.

RC Qualifier
    My parents aren't against of me having/using guns..my dad let me shoot the 12 gauge when I've never shot it before,(I dont like the kick)but hit my target, he knows I'm safe It's just that I think they would rather have me spend money else where..
    Heck, they even let get an air soft gun from a friend..with the price i bought it for, I could buy a decent pellet gun..
    My dads side of the family hunts a lot and he used to do as well but doesn't anymore..

I do appreciate you guys wanting me to be cautious and safe and not hurt my self or anyone around..
    God is good.

Here's the one I've been looking at.
    http://www.airgundepot.com/ruger-air...-1400-fps.html

With the price/scarcity of rifle/.22 ammo any more I've been looking at air rifles as a more wallet friendly alternative for shooting practice.

These modern adult type air rifles(800~1400fps) are into .22 rifle speeds(600~1600fps) so safety is a must.

Hope you have fun & are safe with it if your parents allow you to get one.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    I have the varmit hunter HP Shoots 1400 fps. Laser sights also. Great for shooting varmits at night and very lethal. Found this gun to offer the best quality for the price. With the included sights, mounted flash light and laser sights, you can't go wrong.
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Qualifier
    I will look into the suggestions, thanks!!

My brother just bought a 1200FPS Crossman pellet gun/air rifle so that means I am allowed too.

Anyone ever use Gamo air rifles?
    God is good.

RC Qualifier
    I would also like the price to be no higher than $150-$160 if possible
    Last edited by ithrowstones; 07-17-2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: $$$
    God is good.

RC Qualifier
    Decent price, nice FPS, goods reviews.(so I read)
    How's this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Ruger-Air-Magn.../dp/B007H8FTEU
    God is good.

For that price range I'd go with a gamo, and stick to .22 caliber if you plan to hunt with it. Buying that caliber is the same price on new rifles. .22 ammo is about as plentiful as .177 worldwide, so it will be easy to find. Just not at your local wal mart.

Plan on shooting a lot because air rifles take 500-1000 to achieve best accuracy. Also, you'll want to stay under speed of sound for best accuracy, because the sound barrier will distort the pellet trajectory.

RWS are about the best hunting air rifles you can get but they aren't that expensive, maybe $325-$600 depending on the model.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I would only use it to hunt every now and then. The other times would be target shooting. Also wal-mart is on my side of town and the other places that would sell .22 pellets is on the other side of town and that's a lot of gas for me.

I wouldn't mind shooting a lot. Who wouldn't?

RWS may be the best, but I can't afford it..

There's sooo many choices I'm going to go insane.. haha!!
    God is good.

RC Racer
    get a Remington or a ruger great reliable guns
    Take it all apart, where does this screw go again.

RC Qualifier
    Jawehner, I actually found a Ruger gun I like.

It has mostly good reviews. They say the scope is bad. I wouldn't expect a good scope on an air rifle.

It looks like my grandpas non-air rifle .22 minus some gray.

If I can get the 1400 FPS out of it it will have more fps than my friends non-air rifle .22, His is 1250.

It's a little out of my price range ($170) but I'm not finding decent guns for less so it will have to do.

Here's a link...

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Ruger_...54#Description
    God is good.

I shoot competitively. I use an air force rifle. Although anshütz is a great 2000 dollar option.
    Whatever you are, be a good one.

RC Qualifier
    I hope you mean 200 and not 2K
    God is good.

Nope 2k. They are extremely high precision. At 30 yards hitting the tip off a pen would be easy. They are Olympic grade and the Olympians do use them. The air force is about 600 bucks. Pretty accurate. I win state contests with them.

RC Qualifier
    Wow!!

Tats crazy accuracy.

Congrats on winning state contests! Go for the Olympics !
    God is good.

Thanks! I'll have to beat my teammate before going to the Olympics though.

RC Qualifier
    If you put your mind to it, you can do anything!
    God is good.

RC Qualifier
    What do you guys use for a backstop? I assume you guys are all out in relatively rural areas. I'd love to get a pellet gun and do some target shooting in the back yard but I can't think of any solid backstops and I don't want to take out any windows

I have a pellet catcher and an old door propped behind it as the backstop.

When your rifle is sighted in, you won't need much of a backstop.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I guess the weight of a pellet limits its energy... even at supersonic speeds. There's no way a pellet could pass through a wooden shed... Right?

They can. My club uses steel plates. Or concrete walls. Usually slanted but if you are shooting at paper a flat plate will work. Ill post pics later.

RC Qualifier
    Yes wood be ideal as long as it's thick enough...

Now concrete may not be suitable... just kidding
    God is good.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I'm sure a steel plate would be better but I don't really have a place for a steel plate in my back yard. I guess I could go to the woods.

Pellets will bounce off wood. Steel plates and concrete stop the bullet. We safely shoot at it with 1500 fps pellet guns inside our local American legion. I have shot at wooden backstops before and the ammount of ricochet bullets is awful. You shoot and wait for the pellet to come back. I have never seen ricochet off metal backstops.

RC Qualifier
    ^^ helpful information right there!!

I found some tips on choosing pellets.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/110...ose-tin-of-500
    God is good.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    Pellets will bounce off wood. Steel plates and concrete stop the bullet. We safely shoot at it with 1500 fps pellet guns inside our local American legion. I have shot at wooden backstops before and the ammount of ricochet bullets is awful. You shoot and wait for the pellet to come back. I have never seen ricochet off metal backstops.
    Yeah I'm familiar with all of that. I only mentioned the woods because there's enough area to make a sand burm. I've never seen ricochet off a sand burm either... and sand is free

Yeah. Sand and dirt will work. My personal range has a dirt backstop.

RC Qualifier
    Using sand will just make the pellet go into the sand and not come out, unless its not thick enough.. Dunno why I didn't think of sand.
    God is good.