Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

2003 Honda CRF 230F Rebuild

Hey Everybody!! It's been a while since I have posted in the Traxxas Forums, so I just thought I would show you guys what I have been up to!!

I am 15 years old, so I decided to take my brother's dirt bike when he moved away to college. It is a stock 2003 model, so I didn't really now how much it would take. It took a lot of abuse from jumping it 41 Feet in my friends wheat field to racing up and down my friends river bed. The bike has stood up to everything I have thrown at it, but I decided it is finally time to fix it up before I go ride in the Desert 100 Race up in Odessa, Washington next spring.

I found out a few weeks ago that I had broke my Front Brake Master Cylinder, along with some small things like a blown fork seal and torn off handlebar grips. I have been ordering parts this week to start fixing it up, but I don't have the money to order the parts all at once. The rebuild process is going to take at least a couple months. I am also going to make it street legal for riding back and forth from school and work though, so that is going to take some time to get the money also.

Here is a picture of the Dirt Bike without any body panels on it.

I ordered a Venom Motorcycle Lift/Stand so I don't have to keep my Dirt Bike on a wooden stand I made. Once I get that in next week I am going to take the Fork and Rear Shock off so I can take them in to get fixed. On the Fork, I am having the seals and oil replaced along with some stiffer springs. I am also going to have the guys put a stiffer spring on the rear shock.

I have also been getting in a couple parts in the mail I need over the last few days, but these are the first of many to come. So far I have a Float Valve for the Carburetor, a 70 Piece Bolt Kit to replace worn and old bolts, and I also have new handlebar grips that came in on Saturday.

Here is a picture of the Handlebar Grips.

The reason I got Handlebar Grips with Blue Aluminum on the ends of them, is because I am going to make my dirt bike black and red with blue accents, or I am going to put a Graphics Design Kit on it that will make the bike look like this.

I haven't really decided on what I am going to do to it yet. I don't have much more to talk about right at this moment because I am still waiting for the stand to come in on Wednesday, but once I get the stand in I will be removing the Fork and Rear Shock. Ill make sure to get some pictures then and post up some updates!!
    Last edited by Jacob Chandler; 07-15-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    You're back man! Looks like an awesome project for you Are you going to do any performance upgrades? If I was you I'd be starting with a Slip-on exhaust, Stage 2 Cam, High Flow air filter and re-jet the carby. You would notice a big difference. But might cost a little I really would love to do a desert race on my Raptor, you sure are lucky Just make sure that air cooled engine doesn't get too hot!
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    Hey Man!! I don't really know if I am going to do any engine upgrades because I am going to be making it street legal. I was talking to my Dad, and I might see if his friend will let me use his 450cc Dirt Bike for the race, because if I can then I am going to rebuild this one and keep it for mainly street riding. That is because I want to buy a KTM 450 XC-W!!

But... I am taking out the little air intake thing under the seat to let more air into the engine, and I also am getting a better air filter. Then after I get those put it I am going to have my friend help me re-jet the carburetor for a little extra power. I was looking at the BBR Exhaust for the bike, but at $300 or so dollars, that is a lot for an exhaust!! Plus the Street Legal kit I want to put on it is like $500 something, so I am trying not to spend to much! Hahaha
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Nice!

I want a WR-250R
    Last edited by ithrowstones; 07-15-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: -
    God is good.

RC Qualifier

Update: So tonight I didn't have anything to do, so I took some time to see what could be done to the bike. I got to looking, and the exhaust had a rusty type look to it, and I hate it when something I use looks like a piece of crap. I unbolted the exhaust from the engine, and I was able to get the pipe and muffler all of the way off. I discovered that if I took a rag, I could buff the rusty stuff off of the pipe. Here is what buffing it with a rag did... with the right side being buffed, and the left side being rusty still. It's not as shiny as I hoped it would be, but it is better than what it used to be!!

Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Looks good man! I'm 15 also and my dad plans on getting me a Honda CRF 250L instead of a car, so you won't be the only teen riding to school on an enduro...
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    The reason I am making this bike street legal though, is because the KTM 450 XC-W that I want to get can't be made street legal in Oregon and the CRF 230F will get me like 40 plus mpg. Sounds reasonable to me!!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    For the exhaust clean it back as much as you can and take it to get chromed then with riding the heat will make the exhaust change colours close to where it comes out of the head, my dad and I did this to both our quads and it looks trick Just a thought..

RC Competitor
    Have you given some form of a hand guard/ bark buster a thought? For those rocks and what not getting thrown up by cars. Also look into hand warming grips if you are going to be riding in the winter.

RC Champion
    Hey Jacob I had that exact same bike awhile back...(I've moved on to actual motocross bikes now like a crf250r, and I like yz's.)

Anyways be careful of the front brake setup on that bike...on mine it liked to lock up sometimes without warning
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Qualifier
    Hey Guys! Thanks for all of the ideas!! Like I said though, this is kinda like a budget build because being 15, I don't have too much money to throw into this thing. Hahaha This bike is going to be pretty cool when I am done with it, and I may keep adding stuff like a chrome exhaust to it or a big bore kit when I get into riding it on the street more. If I am going to buy a new bike though, I don't want to spend too much on this one. I am trying to do everything to it for under $2000.

Upbasher, I actually have been riding for a while and have never heard of the front brakes doing that. I ordered an aftermarket Front Brake Master Cylinder, and when it gets here I will post up a picture to show you guys. They are black with blue accent color which I think is going to look interesting.

As for the sweet sounding warmed handlebar grips, my dad is going to let me have his 4 Cylinder Toyota Tacoma. I am going to use it for some work and driving in the winter time, but motorcycles have always seemed to be more fun to me.

I am going to find something on the bike that I can work on today, so I will keep you guys updated!!

P.S. Here is a picture of the KTM I want to get!!

Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Chandler View Post
    I am trying to do everything to it for under $2000.

IMO, with that kind of budget, you're better off buying a newer CRF 230. For $2000 you can update 5 years easily and not have to do anything but ride.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    IMO, with that kind of budget, you're better off buying a newer CRF 230. For $2000 you can update 5 years easily and not have to do anything but ride.
    I see where you are coming from, but why get rid of something that is perfectly good? This bike doesn't have too much wear and tear on it, so why just get rid of it and buy something new? I am trying to keep what I got and make it better, so that I can make the bike my own and just how I want it.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier

Lets just say I'm a 2 stroke man Cheaper to maintain, more power, but more fuel
    300 EXC is what you want
    Last edited by JoelRobbo; 07-17-2013 at 06:48 AM.

RC Racer
    I hate how a 2 stroke sounds... Wouldnt want one just for that reason lol

RC Competitor

Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    Hey Jacob, not trying to threadjack but here is my resto:
    Its broken down to nothing ATM for cleaning/paint.

Last edited by SilverLude; 07-17-2013 at 07:57 AM.

RC Competitor
    Nice bro i ride a 250 and rebuilding a dirt bike is always fun

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jem450r View Post
    I just love the off beat ping, it has no rhythm or pattern just whenever it feels. Although on the other hand the deep consistent sound of a cammed 4 stroke is nice..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jem450r View Post
    I am appalled that you would say that!
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Qualifier
    I think that two strokes are cool and stuff, but I have ridden a couple Fuel Injected 450cc 4 Strokes, and those things have so much power they just lift the front wheel off the ground. Would a two stroke do that?? Which one would be better for just trail riding and the yearly Desert 100 race?

Oh, and my Dirt Bike stand is coming via UPS today, so I will post pics when it gets here!!
    Last edited by Jacob Chandler; 07-17-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Nice! lol I ride a 150cc right now and weigh about 130. I haven't ridden anything more powerful than that....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    Lets just say I'm a 2 stroke man
    agreed. don't get me wrong, i love the power of 4 strokes, but my 2 stroke sounds so much better wide open at full song headed up the long rutted uphill section at our mx track

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    ...but my 2 stroke sounds so much better wide open at full song headed up the long rutted uphill section at our mx track
    I see what you mean, but I don't race a lot, and if I do it is just against my friends in the orchard or the upcoming Desert 100 I am going to try and do every year. I usually just cruise some gravel roads, ride through wheat fields, or ride up through mountain trails.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Racer
    2 strokes make more of their power on the top end, a 4 stroke is more low/mid range power. Thats what your feeling when the tires come off the ground, the torque of the 4 stroke. I had a honda 450 built up, cammed, bored ect... That was a VERY powerful powerplant! And sounded so sweeeeet!

RC Qualifier
    I think that two strokes are cool and stuff, but I have ridden a couple Fuel Injected 450cc 4 Strokes, and those things have so much power they just lift the front wheel off the ground. Would a two stroke do that?? Which one would be better for just trail riding and the yearly Desert 100 race?

Oh, and my Dirt Bike stand is coming via UPS today, so I will post pics when it gets here!!
    I never thought about fuel injected.. For trail riding at 2 stroke is not better off because the lack of bottom end power and the inability to keep it in the band but on the dunes or on the track where they're wide open I much prefer 2 strokes

RC Qualifier
    I have a Honda trx450 quad, but one considering trading it for a 250 4 stroke dirtbike to make it street legal.

My 450 has a full Hmf Exhaust System and
    No lid for the K&N high flow air filter, And it was pro jetted.
    Stupid 50 character Limit!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Right now I'm saving up for a kdx 200 (2stoke of course) which should be sweet and easy to work on iv heard they are very reliable
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Qualifier
    The reason I want a 4 Stroke mainly is because that is what I have grown up with, and I love it when you hear the deep growl of a 4 Stroke echoing through the Mountain Valley. That's just me though!!

Awesome news too!! I got in the stand last night, and I got it all put together and am going to be tearing off the fork and rear shock, as well as de-greasing the engine!! I will post up some pictures later tonight. Oh, and did I mention I was building an Endurocross Course in my Backyard??
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

I see where you are coming from, but why get rid of something that is perfectly good? This bike doesn't have too much wear and tear on it, so why just get rid of it and buy something new? I am trying to keep what I got and make it better, so that I can make the bike my own and just how I want it.
    It doesn't have too much wear and tear, yet you need the forks and rear shock rebuilt, master cylinder, grips, carb parts, bolt kit, and who knows what else replaced? Perhaps mine and your definition of "not much wear and tear" are a bit different.

I applaud your efforts in wanting to fix that bike up. I'm just looking at it from a value perspective. You're willing to throw $2,000 at a bike that's not worth that much if you just took it out of the crate. Don't get me wrong, I've done the same thing in the past only to regret not putting that money towards a newer and better bike.

RC Qualifier
    Let me re-phrase my previous post then. Hahaha I need about $500 max in parts, and then the rest would be making it street legal and tricking it out. I could pretty much add everything up and the parts I need would be about $550 to $600, so it isn't that much money to spend. Besides, I want this one street legal before I buy a 450 next year or the year after.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

That makes more sense.

RC Champion
    The reason I want a 4 Stroke mainly is because that is what I have grown up with, and I love it when you hear the deep growl of a 4 Stroke echoing through the Mountain Valley. That's just me though!!

Oh, and did I mention I was building an Endurocross Course in my Backyard??
    Totally agree, I love the sound also. I'm jealous, I wish I could have an EnduroX course in my yard...

RC Qualifier
    All I have so far are the big tractor tires, but the field got overrun by weeds, so I am going to kill everything in that area. Going to mow it all down, and when it starts growing again I am going to weed kill it all with the tractor. Then when it is all dead, I am going to burn it all down and use a scraper to get everything off of the surface. Then I need to convince my parents to let me use a sterile spray that will prevent any growth of weeds.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier

Hey Guys!! I have finally been able to work on the bike again, and I am pretty happy with how things are going!! I finally got that stand in that I had been waiting for, and once I put the bike on it I was hard at work. I was able to get the front forks off the bike once I figured out how to get the front wheel off. Hahaha

After I had done all of that, I went to the Ranch and Home in my area and bought some Engine De-greaser and an Engine Protection Spray, but I haven't used the protection spray yet. Here are some pictures!! Sorry I don't have a before picture of the engine.

I also got the Rear Shock off late last night, but I didn't have a chance to get any pictures. I will post up another update soon!!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Update: So tonight I didn't have anything to do, so I took some time to see what could be done to the bike. I got to looking, and the exhaust had a rusty type look to it, and I hate it when something I use looks like a piece of crap. I unbolted the exhaust from the engine, and I was able to get the pipe and muffler all of the way off. I discovered that if I took a rag, I could buff the rusty stuff off of the pipe. Here is what buffing it with a rag did... with the right side being buffed, and the left side being rusty still. It's not as shiny as I hoped it would be, but it is better than what it used to be!!

Header paint, will work wonders on the exhaust.

RC Qualifier
    Where can I find some of this "Header Paint"? What will it do to my Pipe and Exhaust?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    VHT paint. Your local hardware store may have it.

RC Qualifier
    And you just paint it on the exhaust and pipe?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    I believe so. I've never used it myself.

RC Qualifier
    I just looked up a video, and it looked like the kid sanded the pipe and exhaust until it was Shiny, then he wiped off the residue. He put on some gel think to get the hidden rust off, and then after he wiped all of it off he just painted it on. Looks pretty simple to me!!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit