RC poster

Lightbulb Dewalt 14.4 w/ 19 Pinion

This is what I'm running now. I am very new to this and unsure how fast these trucks are supposed to be. I like crawling, but i would like more speed than what I have now. What gear would you recommend I use? I am running 2s 5000 lipo. This is my first post and I haven't had an R/C for like 15 years, so I apologize if I should have posted somewhere else. Thank you!

RC Racer
    If you want more speed then the dewalt geared thaat high your going to have to go brushless
    Summit

RC poster
    Thank you for the response. I may be wrong about the gearing, because it seems really slow. Tons of torque, but not much speed. Anyway... thanks again!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatoolio View Post
    Thank you for the response. I may be wrong about the gearing, because it seems really slow. Tons of torque, but not much speed. Anyway... thanks again!
    I have a dewalt 14.4 and have tried all the gears from 14t to 21t. I have settled on the 17t gear. The stock Summit goes about 20mph or so. My 17t will go a little faster than stock but still has great low end for crawling. I found the 19t and 21t to go to fast for me and I started breaking drive shafts and such. I guess the real question is what do you want the Summit to do vs what it is designed to do. I like to crawl and bash and 22 or so mph is fast enough for me. If you want to really go fast understand you will need many upgrades to do that. There are guys that have gone brushless and upgraded not only the motor but the trans, diff, drive shafts, tires, esc, etc etc. I own a tmaxx for the need for speed, the Summit is not designed to go 50 mph. Again just my opinion. The Summit is high off the ground and weighs like 15 pounds. Going 50 mph is going to ultimately tear it up. There are guys that do it and successfully so with the upgrades. I quess if I want to go that fast I would buy an Erevo that is designed for that. I would recommend you drive your Summit at least a half a dozen times on some challenging terrain and see if the need for speed is still there. I am always amazed at where the Summit will go, places I can hardly hike to. You might also try some different pinions, like I said with a 19t pinion with the stock spur your probably approaching 28 to 30 mph and that is really fast for most bashing with a Summit. Check some of the older threads about going brush less there are a lot of them.

RC Racer
    Shouldn't that truck be goin like 35mph with that pinion?

Edit: I started posting before BRICK57's showed up. He answered my question.

You can still crawl pretty well with the right brushless setup. You'll want a sensored setup with a drag brake at least. If you want to go fast, you'll want ABEC 7 ceramic Bearings with rubber shields to replace your traxxas bearings when they go out. If you twist your axles or driveshafts, you can get metal ones to replace them. If your tires baloon when you go fast, you can boil your tires off, put duct tape in the inside of the tires, and re-glue them. Or get a new set of tires and wheels seperately and put duct tape on the inside of tires. If you want to be waterproof, there are waterproof ESC's or you can take apart the ESC and put liquid rubber on it and put it back together, or you can buid a waterproof box around the ESC. I don't know about waterproofing the brushless motors though. If the handling isn't enough to stay in control while going fast, there are tricks to that also. Like adjusting the camber and changing the springs and shocks. Right out of the box, the Summit doesnt go fast very well, but there are so many parts you can buy and tuning tricks you can do to make it go really fast, really well. If you want to go 45mph but still be able to crawl, it's not as easy as just flipping the switch on the remote. You'll have a few things to adjust back and forth, like spinning the rings on the shocks to loosen for crawling and tightening for going fast. I hope this helps prepare you for what's ahead when you get going as fast as you want to.

I thought of one more thing that wears out when you go fast. Those cross pins in the ends of the axles and output shafts get deep grooves in them untill they snap. I want to find some titanium ones to replace ones you get from traxxas.
    Last edited by Deviate; 07-10-2013 at 05:37 PM.
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

RC Racer
    I don't think you need to update the trans or driveshafts on 4s with brushless, just loosen your slipper.
    Summit

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Summitadventure View Post
    I don't think you need to update the trans or driveshafts on 4s with brushless, just loosen your slipper.
    This is true about the driveshafts and axles. Forget about the metal driveshafts and axles. If your axles or driveshafts got twisted or broken, then your slipper clutch is too tight. That's why the slipper clutch is there in the first place.
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

RC poster
    Thank you guys! Wow, great response. I think the gear must not be a 19 because i do not think it goes even 20 mph. Seems really slow. I have been only running one battery, should I try two? **** these things have advanced since I last had one!

RC Racer
    Thank you guys! Wow, great response. I think the gear must not be a 19 because i do not think it goes even 20 mph. Seems really slow. I have been only running one battery, should I try two? **** these things have advanced since I last had one!
    Theres your problem! You need to batteries. Get 2 2s lipos
    Summit

RC poster
    Thank you! I have three of them, I just wasn't sure if it would hurt anything to run two at a time. The guy I bought it from was just using one I guess because the other battery input side he just had a plug with two wires soldered together. Any idea why he would do that?

RC Champion
    dont know^^

but ya two batterys should wake the truck up
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC poster
    Great. Thank you!

RC Qualifier
    Post back and let us know how the truck runs with 2 batteries. Be careful with the 19t pinion, the truck will run faster than you think. Have you adjusted your slippery clutch yet. There are many threads on it just search in this forum. I would start by tightening the nut all the way and then back out 1/4 turn to start with. You can fine tune from there. That Dewalt and 19t has more torque and speed than the Stock. The other thing is when you accelerate don't just pull the trigger back all at once to full speed. Ease into the full throttle into you get to a comfortable feel. I know I have made both mistakes (slippery clutch and acceleration) and paid the price. Last thing is try some other pinion sizes, You may find something that suits you better.

RC poster
    I will try it tonight and let you know how it goes. I couldn't find a clear answer as far as the slipper clutch goes. I would like to think that it would be adjusted properly if the guy I bought it from had this set up but who knows right. Once adjusted do they need to be re-adjusted occasionally or just when gears or other parts are switched out?

RC Qualifier
    I would like to think that it would be adjusted properly if the guy I bought it from had this set up but who knows right.
    But he also soldered one of the battery harnesses coming off the ESC together ---- They are definitely meant to run two batteries
    MM2 E Revo -- Dewalt/MM Summit

RC poster
    Well he just cut the leads off of an old battery and soldered those together so it could be plugged into the second battery input. He didn't cut or solder the actual wires coming off the esc, so I can just unplug what he did and plug in a second battery.

RC poster
    Ok, you were right. It is very fast with the two lipos. I am worried I am going to break it now actually! I let my wife try it, first thing she did was hit a tree and flipped it hard. It took it like a champ though. Thanks for the advice!

RC Qualifier
    The seller may have been running a single 4S battery??

Either way - on 2x2S with the Dewalt @ 19T pinion you will have a whole new animal Enjoy!

Bash it like someone else has to fix it!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ErbeSumm View Post
    The seller may have been running a single 4S battery??
    Good point

The summits definitly can take some major abuse. My E-revo takes hard bashing like champ .. I don't bash too much with the summit but it has taken a few major tumbles while climbing
    MM2 E Revo -- Dewalt/MM Summit

RC Qualifier
    Definitely a good idea to keep an eye on your temps if running that 19t pinion with the stock spur.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC poster
    I don't have a way to tell how hot it gets. I ran it hard yesterday and it was hot. I could keep my fingers on the motor for about three seconds. Is it typical for one battery to be much lower than the other after use?

RC Qualifier
    Hmmm the old "how long I could keep my fingers on it" thermometer hey??

FYI - There have been people who question the accuracy of this method

The Dewalt will run hotter than the stock Titan and a 19T should be fine and give a good speed upgrade without going brushless.

Just keep an eye, or finger, on your temps & you'll be fine!

RC Qualifier
    Oh and yes - the battery from which the lights draw power will be lower after a run than the other one. Not a massive difference though.

RC poster
    Thank you for the information!

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    I started with a 19 tooth pinion when I did my 14.4 Dewalt conversion. I was not crazy about the heat so I went to an 18 tooth. Just keep an eye on it, I've been running mine for a year now

And yes, one battery (the BEC and light side) will be a little lower after a run. I numbered my batteries and I swap them from side to side every other run or so
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    I don't have a way to tell how hot it gets. I ran it hard yesterday and it was hot. I could keep my fingers on the motor for about three seconds. Is it typical for one battery to be much lower than the other after use?
    My Dewalt really gets hot but within parameters. Go the the LHS and buy a Heat gauge they are cheap. After running mine you could not have your fingers on it for three seconds. As far as the slippery clutch you really need to adjust it, don't bank on what the other owner had. Its not hard to do in fact there are instructions in your manual. IMO tighten the nut and back it off 1/4 turn to start. Yes you do have to check it now and again. Run it 1/4 out and see how it does. If it slips to much tighten it up a little or if your doing wheelies and flips you may want to loosen it a little bit. There is a lot of damage done to the trucks do to improperly adjusted slippery clutch.

RC poster
    Thank you, I will adjust the slippery clutch tonight when i get home. I appreciate it!

RC Qualifier
    I run a 14 with my dewalt. But as I get older I like to go slow.

RC Qualifier
    I run a 17t with stock spur. Good increase in speed over stock without going crazy and you can still crawl. I have tripped the ESC thermal protection a couple occasions while running in HI gear...never in LOW, and it was a warm day. No issues at all when temps are lower. On really hot days I like to gear down a bit.
    A properly adjusted slipper clutch will save you many headaches. Unless you are into replacing parts regularly.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

I'm capt slow I guess. Dewalt 12/68
    It will almost pull stumps though. Lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried