RC Qualifier

rustler sidewinder sct /3800kv combo gearing

hi guys i finally got a brushless system for my xl-5 rustler and want to know some good gearing setups . i run 25/86 and the motor gets fairly warm so does the Esc but i can hold it for at least 5-7 seconds . I'm looking for a bit more speed I'm running a onyx 6 cell 5000mah nimh battery what do you guys recommend

RC Competitor
    I'm interested in seeing what people recommend. I am getting the same Castle setup today and I only have stock gearing right now w/ 2s 5800mah lipo.
    _ _
    Law #29: Plan all the way to the end.

I have the sidewinder/3900kv duratrax motor (made by castle) and I think your gearing is right on. You could go to a 83t spur and a 2s lipo for more speed. But that nimh is really holding you back.

Get a temp gun to keep a better eye on the motor temps. 5-7 seconds sounds like 120-130F but its hard to tell.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    yeah its a little slow for me i so have a temp gun but need to find it how hot would it run at 2s or 3s i want to go 3s but i heard it will run quite a bit hotter any info on that

RC Qualifier
    after weeks of having my 3800 sidewinder i set my punch control to 25 %.
    I was suprised to see the battery temps went donwn, the esc is cooler , my motor only gets to about 130 degrees. with large buggy tires geared 83/ 26.
    I was getting around 150 degrees on the motor with 83/23 gears on 3 s. with zero punch control
    i think the 3800 is really too powerful and draws crazy amps . My slipper clutch / driveshafts are lasting longer too.
    Really suprised about this . I do have a aluminum gearbox though

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeviperred View Post
    hi guys i finally got a brushless system for my xl-5 rustler and want to know some good gearing setups . i run 25/86 and the motor gets fairly warm so does the Esc but i can hold it for at least 5-7 seconds . I'm looking for a bit more speed I'm running a onyx 6 cell 5000mah nimh battery what do you guys recommend
    Go with a Lipo battery... also, judging temps by feel is too subjective.. I can hold my finger on a motor that is 160 degrees for quite a while where the next person cannot hold their finger on a motor that is 130.. Get a temp gun.. its the best $25 you will ever spend.. If and when you go lipo, try and get one with at least a 40C rating or above.. Those motors tend to pull some serious power and will quickly tax a weaker battery.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    I agree my spc 3s 25c lipo drops voltage a bit on this set up. my 40c 5,000 has no problem