Thread: cc vs velineon

RC poster

cc vs velineon

hi guys,

i have a 2wd slash with titan motor. it still didnt break but i am ready for more power. but i cant make a choice. i was thinking about the castle 3800kv sct combo or the velineon set. in my country the castle is a bit more expensive. Will you notice this difference? or is the velineon perfectly fine?? and what about quality? can you compare these two then??

love the community here on the traxxas forums and like reading about the things you guys do!

RC Enthusiast
    I have a slash 2wd and love the vxl system. Never had an issue and stupid fast

Sent from Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

I have both systems and like my castle mmp/3800 much better
    I like the programmability on the esc
    Also it gets up to speed quicker and is a little faster
    It makes your slash more fun then the vxl system
    You will want some good lipo battery's though
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Castle all the way, not to take anything away from the VXL system, it's a good RTR set-up. Being able to make adjustments to the Castle esc and reliability, would be the two main reasons.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    Are you racing or just bashing?

If just bashing, then the Velineon is fine. If racing, get the Castle.

cc vs velineon

The VXL is a good stock system, likely the best RTR ESC/motor combo out there. But, the CC is so much easier to program and tweak. The 4-pole motor puts out a lot more torque.

If you do get the CC system you'll have to factor Lipos into budget as well, if you aren't already running them. That ESC sucks a lot more power from NiMH than what they are really designed to deliver. I ran 7-cell packs when I first got my CC, the ESC/motor were nice and cool, my batteries were around 190deg F.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    If you are in Europe or something, a 120-amp SC8 or clone, program card, and four pole of your choice would cost even less than CC or VXL, and give better performance. I would pick a CC MMP/3800 over a VXL combo, though. It's a little pricey for what you get, should include a program card, and the BEC is too weak (2a BEC for off road? Jeez.), but has good support and plenty of power. Castle motors are very nice, it's the ESCs I have a beef with.

RC Qualifier
    I run both - Vxl is water proof n the motor gets warm a bit faster than the castle. The castle has a lot more torque n power. IMO if ur around a lot of water or run in the rain the Vxl is top. If only fair weather driver cc3800 with sidewinder.
    "Jedi Master"

RC poster
    hmm, i guess its just a matter of opinion. even the cc with sidewinder sct is now waterproof. but i think i cant go wrong with either of them

Quote Originally Posted by roffeltje View Post
    hmm, i guess its just a matter of opinion. even the cc with sidewinder sct is now waterproof. but i think i cant go wrong with either of them
    I dont believe you can purchase the 3800kv with a waterproof esc, nor do I think the waterproof esc that comes with the 4600 combo will handle the 3800 for long which imo is the best castle way to go.
    It is a personal preference, their both top-end systems, tho the fact remains a 4p motor of any brand is going to pack more low-end punch then a 2 pole.
    Here in the states where the ccs can be found for $100 its a big hit even against lower priced units due to customer service and support which Castle and Traxxas both deliver in spades.

I'm not sure on the 4600kv waterproof system being capable or incapable of effectively operating the 3800, this is just what I heard through the grape vine and needs more research to be implicit.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC poster
    i checked the cc website and it said the sidewinder sct was now waterproof and it included a fan on the esc as well

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I find with a 2wd on loose surfaces, I would rather have the vxl motor paired with the mmp. Easier to drive fast... The temp thing is a big factor, and where the 3800 shines over the titan besides the extra torque thing...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    the esc's that comes with in the 3800 sct combo now says waterproof on the website but seems limited look at parenthesis below. The fan on the sidewinder sct seems to be working great tho. -

(*Not intended for operation while submerged in liquid. If unit is operated in wet conditions, rinse with fresh water to remove dirt or corrosives, then fully dry unit.) - from http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...inder_sct.html

Last edited by Rc_REV; 09-30-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    "Jedi Master"

RC poster
    how about the hobbywing wp sc8 with the 3400kv motor??
    is hobbywing about the same quality as castle??

how about the hobbywing wp sc8 with the 3400kv motor??
    is hobbywing about the same quality as castle??
    Haven't heard too many negative things about Hobbywing. CC ESCs are a lot easier to program through CastleLink.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Hobbywings are higher quality than Castle, and easier to program with a program card. Castle motors are really good, although fairly pricey. I really like Hobbywing products.

Hobbywings are higher quality than Castle
    That is an opinion I strongly disagree with. Hobbywing is a budget minded system and they have built a strong following because of it. The warranty period gives a strong clue as to which system is of higher quality. Howbbywing 180 days, Castle 1 year.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

I've had to deal with Hobby-wing warranty and costumer service, while I have no negative opinions on their products, the two aforementioned services are enough to keep me away from Hobby-wing.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    I know that everyone loves CC stuffs. They make a good enough product, and I understand that they have great customer service and warranty. I'm just not going to give my fun money to them until they can sell me a speedo as good as a HW SC8- the Sidewinder (same price point) performs about as well as a Chinese $40 ESC. For about $65 bucks, I can get an SC8 and not worry at all about heat or power handling, and another $15 will get me a program card. If I want to go a little deeper, a V3 has adjustments for everything from drag brake to drive frequency, and real, adjustable boost. There are countless firmware updates from Hobbywing and rebranders, some developed and used by national champions. They have strong, stable BECs and more power handling than any 1/10 sized motor can use, and cost less than a MMP. As far as customer service and warranty, I can't report on that, because I haven't had a complaint or failure.

RC Qualifier
    Dont get me wrong... I like hobbywing. I do... But to say that they are better than cc is a bold statement. They arent better than castle... The only reason my sc8 escs were better than cc is because they were so cheap if they fried I wouldnt care. But none of them fried while I owned them..

RC Qualifier
    I race at a local track with the VXL system. Some guys have Castle motors and ESCs, but I hang with them. I have a bit more torque (could be the gearing or traction) and I can usually pass them on the straights if I time the corners just right. It all depends on how you drive and how much money you are willing to spend. I like the Velineon and have had no issues with it so I find no reason for me to change it.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL