Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136

    Kdvanb wants a summit

    So these past two weeks I've been thinking about getting a summit
    I think I'd really like one as at my house I have many different places to run it
    I'm getting tired of driving in the driveway,road and stuff

    My answer I came up with was the traxxas summit!

    So far I have 100 dollars saved for it from graduation
    So I'm going to put about 40% of my earnings from my summer job into my summit funds
    Should have enough by late July!

    One question: on the traxxas products page, there's only the summit with lipo battery's. Is this the only on they offer?

    Any suggestions on what to do when I get it are welcome
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    4,501
    Welcome to the Summit club! (If you get one) IMO, I would get the LED roof rack light bar, double orange springs, a DeWalt 14.4 motor, and front and rear RPM bumber mounts. Also, depending on your terrain, I would get either Trencher X's or Mudslingers mounted on the stock Geode rims. Just my .02 cents.
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Yeah I've seen those mudslingers! Really nice tires!

    That dewalt motor.. Do I need it?
    I see many of you guys run it
    So my question is does the stock Titan 775 fail just like the Titan 12t?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    4,501
    That dewalt motor.. Do I need it?
    I see many of you guys run it
    So my question is does the stock Titan 775 fail just like the Titan 12t?
    No, it's not really needed. The Titan 775 should not even have the name Titan on them! The Titan 775 is a TOUGH little motor. I've seen people drive them through mud and crap for over a year, with out cleaning the motor, and they still work. People (like me) go with the DeWalt because they have A TON of torque, and you can gear them higher for more speed. They are also rebuildable, so if they throw a brush, just buy another one for $4 and off you go again. A replacement Titan 775 is about $30, but a new DeWalt is only $30 too.
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    No, it's not really needed. The Titan 775 should not even have the name Titan on them! The Titan 775 is a TOUGH little motor. I've seen people drive them through mud and crap for over a year, with out cleaning the motor, and they still work. People (like me) go with the DeWalt because they have A TON of torque, and you can gear them higher for more speed. They are also rebuildable, so if they throw a brush, just buy another one for $4 and off you go again. A replacement Titan 775 is about $30, but a new DeWalt is only $30 too.
    Good to know
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    4,501
    Oh, I forgot, you NEED lipos. The stock nimh only last for about 10 min in high gear.

    Here is a great thread on lipos:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-50c-7.4-Lipos.

    And here is a thread on the DeWalt:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...14.4-questions...

    Hope this helps!
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    99
    I bought mine without batteries @Tower Hobbies and then bought a couple of SPC lipos. You can get it this way for about the price of a Summit RTR with NMIH batteries. The Traxxas lipos are way over-priced. I am very happy with my Summit.

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    4,501
    I am very happy with my Summit.
    To be 100% honest, I don't think I've ever seen any one NOT love their Summit!
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Thanks you guys
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Cameron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    3,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    To be 100% honest, I don't think I've ever seen any one NOT love their Summit!
    I love mine, when i have the Terrain to challenge it. Otherwise it can get boring.
    Thats half the reason im going to do the LT conversion on mine.
    See if i enjoy it a bit more that way.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Two questions
    How much run time will I get of a 5600mah battery?
    Does tower hobbies ship to Canada?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    778
    Try eliminator RC in winnipeg or hobby hobby in ontario
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Cameron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    3,632
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Two questions
    How much run time will I get of a 5600mah battery?
    Does tower hobbies ship to Canada?
    Tower ships to canada, but like everyone else they make money to do it. Save with the supersaver discount and then give it all back in shipping fees haha.

    Send via most likely stolen wifi...
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    367
    First of all Kdvanb wants to get a full time job and then buy me a summit as well!! hahaha. Tower hobbies ships to Canada. Thats where i ordered my slash 4x4 from. Also Eliminator rc is one of the best hobby shops around. I frequently shop their when i am in Winnipeg and they have Tons of parts like honestly its just isle after isle after isle lol. If i were you i think i would maybe just get the lipo version but idk.

  15. #15
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    woodstock .on.canada
    Posts
    2,240
    kd get it!!! but if you dont have enought terrein for it then it will let you down and screem for speed lol -jme

    but i know what you mean kd about going up and down the road....im thinking about .. just letting my pede collect dust and have a good summit.....never seems to break so im thinking when upgrades are done to the summit it will be a cheap truck to run....but not to make lol
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceroad2 View Post
    First of all Kdvanb wants to get a full time job and then buy me a summit as well!! hahaha. Tower hobbies ships to Canada. Thats where i ordered my slash 4x4 from. Also Eliminator rc is one of the best hobby shops around. I frequently shop their when i am in Winnipeg and they have Tons of parts like honestly its just isle after isle after isle lol. If i were you i think i would maybe just get the lipo version but idk.
    Haha
    I think I'm going to purchase the non battery version as its 150$ cheaper
    Then I can buy 1 more 2s pack and I'll be good

    Thinking about ways to make some quick cash

    How much could I get for the following?
    These are my guesses

    Traxxas 2075 servo-20$
    Brand new xl5 esc- 50$
    Used XL5 esc- 40$

    I'm also going to sell 3 bikes that I can no longer use as there really small for me
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  17. #17
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Haha
    I think I'm going to purchase the non battery version as its 150$ cheaper
    Then I can buy 1 more 2s pack and I'll be good

    Thinking about ways to make some quick cash

    How much could I get for the following?
    These are my guesses

    Traxxas 2075 servo-20$
    Brand new xl5 esc- 50$
    Used XL5 esc- 40$

    I'm also going to sell 3 bikes that I can no longer use as there really small for me
    You can buy a new xl5 for $35.
    Summit

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Summitadventure View Post
    You can buy a new xl5 for $35.
    Really? Tower had them listed for like 65$
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  19. #19
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Two questions
    How much run time will I get of a 5600mah battery?
    Does tower hobbies ship to Canada?
    I have the 5000s only because SPC was and still is out of stock on the 8200s. I am on the waiting list for the 8200s. I get a solid 40 minutes of mixed crawling/bashing with mine on the 5000s.

  20. #20
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    To be 100% honest, I don't think I've ever seen any one NOT love their Summit!
    I can see why...

  21. #21
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,225
    Check your local hobby shop they may have some good deals on the nimh ver of the summit. I must have some special nimh batteries. With regular cycling I easily get 1/2 hr on high speed and on a mixed of high low I easily get 45 min plus.

    I would not do upgrades untill u find where the summit lacks for u. Only thing I have upgraded is the tires to the slingers and the vbr shock kit. Maybe after I toast the motor ill upgrade to dewalt but I have a spare 775 so that may be a while.

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Check your local hobby shop they may have some good deals on the nimh ver of the summit. I must have some special nimh batteries. With regular cycling I easily get 1/2 hr on high speed and on a mixed of high low I easily get 45 min plus.

    I would not do upgrades untill u find where the summit lacks for u. Only thing I have upgraded is the tires to the slingers and the vbr shock kit. Maybe after I toast the motor ill upgrade to dewalt but I have a spare 775 so that may be a while.
    I know my LHS has at least 2 summits in stock at all times
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  23. #23
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    woodstock .on.canada
    Posts
    2,240
    lol for the nimh i get around 1hr in low for the 3000mah stockers
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

  24. #24
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    kd get it!!! but if you dont have enought terrein for it then it will let you down and screem for speed lol -jme

    but i know what you mean kd about going up and down the road....im thinking about .. just letting my pede collect dust and have a good summit.....never seems to break so im thinking when upgrades are done to the summit it will be a cheap truck to run....but not to make lol

    Oh I missed this post!!
    Yeah I do have a lot of good places to run it on my property
    So I won't get bored with it
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Haha
    I think I'm going to purchase the non battery version as its 150$ cheaper
    Then I can buy 1 more 2s pack and I'll be good

    Thinking about ways to make some quick cash

    How much could I get for the following?
    These are my guesses

    Traxxas 2075 servo-20$
    Brand new xl5 esc- 50$
    Used XL5 esc- 40$

    I'm also going to sell 3 bikes that I can no longer use as there really small for me
    So what do you guys think I could get for this stuff?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    778
    really only about half of what price u listed. but the marketplace is where you should be now.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Adventurer View Post
    really only about half of what price u listed. but the marketplace is where you should be now.
    Could I go...
    35 for the new xl5
    30 for used
    18 for 2075 servo??
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  28. #28
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    778
    no. i said half. u need to start a new thread in the market place or ebay.

    or the mods will probably get mad.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

  29. #29
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Adventurer View Post
    or the mods will probably get mad.

    I haven't even decided on a price yet though
    This is basically like a feeler question
    I might not sell them if I can only get that much though
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  30. #30
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    150
    $30 shipped new xl5
    $20 used
    $15servo
    All prices shipped


    Sent from my iPhone 4
    Summit

  31. #31
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Summitadventure View Post
    $30 shipped new xl5
    $20 used
    $15servo
    All prices shipped


    Sent from my iPhone 4
    Okay I might sell them
    I'll see what I can get for my bikes and go from there
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  32. #32
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Okay I might sell them
    I'll see what I can get for my bikes and go from there
    I think ebay would be your friend for this stuff.

  33. #33
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceroad2 View Post
    I think ebay would be your friend for this stuff.
    I'm going to use kijiji and a local rc forum
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  34. #34
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    367
    oh ok that will work well too.

  35. #35
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceroad2 View Post
    oh ok that will work well too.
    Yeah
    eBay won't work for me as my parents only have a kijiji account
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  36. #36
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Decided that I won't be getting a summit
    Since its summer I think a project would be more fun
    So this is on hold for quite a while
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  37. #37
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norfolk, va
    Posts
    1,166
    When you do decide to get one, maybe grab a used one.
    I bought my first one in January for $200 and bought another one less than a month ago for $150.


    This one was $150 but didn't have the correct wheels and needed a slight repair to the rear diff and a rear diff locking servo.


    This one was the $200 summit and the only issue it had was a sticking low/high speed shift rod.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •