RC Competitor

Just got it fixed. Now my friend wrecked it! (Video of wreck)

Yes I got it on video too.
    And a 2 inch pole out of everything!!!!

Before with the new wheels and tires minutes before crash:

He is a good friend and has already ordered most the parts on eBay. Think motor might be shot too was making kind of a weird noise. Going to do suspension stuff first and see how it runs. But he will replace motor too if needed.

RC Competitor
    Same happened to me. My friend was driving it on road and a car was coming by. He got freaked swerved and hit the ditch , broke most front-end parts. He paid for most of the replace meant parts.

RC Competitor
    Yeah, it happens. I just got it back together too.

RC Champion
    Next time a friend asks to drive it, ask him or her if he or she has 500 dollars to hand over as collateral. Friends don't let friends drive their rc cars, lol. As you start to upgrade and invest be sure to mark up the asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    Next time a friend asks to drive it, ask him or her if he or she has 500 dollars to hand over as collateral. Friends don't let friends drive their rc cars, lol. As you start to upgrade and invest be sure to mark up the asking price.
    To me, this is why you buy hobby-grade RCs. I usually like them to last a little while longer, but breakage is to be expected. Next time might I suggest you switch the ESC to 50% mode before you hand over the remote to your friend.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Man the back end aimed right at the pole. No wonder the motor doesn't look. Hope the tranny is ok.
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

RC Competitor
    Yeah horrible luck on his end.
    Well he obliged to replace everything that broke... So we will see. Yeah I hope the tranny is okay too, he hasn't ordered the motor yet, going to see how it runs after suspension is fixed but I have a good feeling its fubared.

RC Qualifier
    Outch! Expensive bill for him.

RC Qualifier
    Ya that stinks...if ye can't pay it, ye don't play it
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Enthusiast
    i enjoy watching my friends play with my rc toys but it does indeed suck when they wreck it, ofcourse the look on their face is pretty funny. Thats cool dude is gonna pay, ive had to replace 2 velineon motors already, 50 bucks each off ebay

RC Qualifier
    before getting a new motor, try taking it apart and see if it's just the bearings or something more. you can buy a motor rebuild kit for it for about 10 bucks
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    before getting a new motor, try taking it apart and see if it's just the bearings or something more. you can buy a motor rebuild kit for it for about 10 bucks
    Right on, will do. Thanks. We plan on making a trip to the local hobby store. Supposedly their prices are pretty good.

I just laugh/cringe whenever I watch the video. I mean what are the odds!?!? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    To me, this is why you buy hobby-grade RCs. I usually like them to last a little while longer, but breakage is to be expected. Next time might I suggest you switch the ESC to 50% mode before you hand over the remote to your friend.
    Good idea. My step-daughter just drove my Ofna head on into a curb. When she saw it was headed the wrong way she hit the gas instead of the brakes...I'm glad your friend offered to pay for parts.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    It looks like you were lucky in that it could have been going much faster than it was.

You know you couldn't hit that pole if you trying to.

RC Competitor
    Haha true. Well after a couple spur gears getting eaten up due to the pinion gear not being set right from me. It has been running great with the new factory VXL motor! A bunch of the suspension was replaced.

Buuuuttttt. Ran into another problem today. Was at the skatepark driving it around and all of a sudden it was cutting out. Turns out this is why it was cutting out:

The 7 cell DTX 4600 MAH NIMH pretty much split. Any fix for this? Just tape it up tight with electrical tape? Solder the tabs on?

RC Racer
    Had thathappen no real fix that i know of. Just toss the pack and replace it.
    Most NImH packs can not handle the high demand of a brushless syste, and they heat up too much. I have two nimh packsleft and whan they fail rhey will be tree eplaced with lipo

RC Racer
    It's an easy solder job. Rough up the surface to be soldered a little and use a good flux.

However, I think this is the perfect excuse to switch to lipos. The difference in performance is huge.

RC Competitor
    Nice, thats great to know. Then just wrap it in electrical tape?

Okay, I keep hearing a bunch about Lipos. Whats a good.. if possible also cheap Lipo to run on stock everything without overheating and possibly frying something? The optional gearing would be a good idea to faster than 40mph? Or with a Lipo will I be able to go faster than 40 MPH on stock gearing? Would be happy with around 50mph.
    Thanks for all the help guys.

RC Racer
    Sorry, I don't recall what the stock gearing is. And it depends if you want to 2S or 3S.

RC Competitor
    28/83 is stock. 31/76 is optional. Well what do you recommend. 2s or 3s for my setup. Not sure what the difference is. Longer run time with 3s?

RC Racer
    I was running 31/76 on 3S estimated at around 60-65mph. I'm now experimenting with 28/86 on 2 and 3S. It's still pretty fast on road using 3S. And 2S seems to be ok off road so far but not nearly as fast. I was taking it kinda easy, checking only motor temps and it seemed to stay fairly cool. Sorry I can't give exact speeds because I was mostly having too much fun while testing and watching temps.

You can play around with this to get some idea http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

Most of the good budget lipos that I am aware of seem to be out of stock most of the time. I'm certain others here have more options for you.
    Last edited by Flyextreme; 07-28-2013 at 10:22 PM.

RC Competitor
    After doing some researching I think I found some replacement packs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-7-4V...198#vi-content
    Traxxas 7.4V 5000Mah 2 Cell 25C Lipo Battery 2868
    $42 shipped. (Retails for $89.99 on traxxas site)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-2872...item4855ffb764
    Traxxas 2872 LiPo 11.1V 5000mAh 3 cell 25C Battery $63 shipped. ($75 + shipping on traxxas site)

Why is the 2s so much cheaper but retails for so much more than the 3s?
    Will getting either one of these be a pretty big performance increase over what I had before?

If you can find better deals on other quality brands that will work for my Rustler let me know!
    Last edited by 4drturbo; 07-29-2013 at 03:20 PM.

RC Competitor
    UPDATE!

Well I got a 2s 5000MAH lipo pack and wow, its amazing! Car pulls hard and it does wheelies now! Power is strong through out the run time, then it just dies pretty much. (Lipo fail safe on) I do have a some questions if you do not mind:

1. I lost my cover for my receiver. Well if a battery pops out when I am driving it. The car goes wide open throttle and is uncontrollable. What causes this!?!? Luckily I didn't damage anyones property or my car. Definately making a cover for it so that doesn't happen again or just go 2.4 ghz. You would think if a battery fell out of the controller it would just slow to a halt. Not the case! Lol

2. After running the Lipo, what do you guys typically do? Re-charge it up right away or let it sit for about 20 minutes, only of course you plan on running it again.

How about not running it for about 24 hours?

More than 24 hours?

Discharge it? Storage mode?

3. Good set of street tires for concrete? I am eating up the new factory Rustler VXL wheels and tires. Mainly in the back lol. I think they are built for off-road. It was really hot out so that doesn't help.

Thanks guys. Really happy with this thing. Performs really well with the 2s Lipo!

RC Enthusiast
    i usually let my lipo`s cool down for 20-30 mins before i recharge them as for not using them you can put them on storage mode if your charger has it but i dont bother with that unless iam not going to use them for 4 weeks or more but i use mine for my crawler aswell so they are never left for more than a week at times.

if you lose power from your controller the car will do what you said as there is no contact between both. if i were you i would go 2.4ghz ive never had any problems and it should be safer as you wont get any interference either from things like other people using the same controller and crystals

RC Competitor
    Right on.
    How long to keep a Lipo fully charged for before use? I heard not more than a day. Is this true?

RC Qualifier
    i charge mine up and let them sit for a week even longer no problems yet

Quote Originally Posted by 4drturbo View Post
    Right on.
    How long to keep a Lipo fully charged for before use? I heard not more than a day. Is this true?
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts