RC poster

New to Nitro, and my Slayer won't start!

I am new to Nitro cars, and I have a brand-new Slayer that was given to me six years ago but that sat in the box completely assembled but never fired up (it came from the Traxxas factory as a promo). So this week I finally find enough time and motivation to dig it out and pour some fuel in, and it will turn over but won't even hint at starting.

The problem may be with the EZ starter. The 7.2V battery (new, but it has been in the box for six years) doesn't seem to be willing to hold a charge very well. I can only get it to turn the motor over for about two minutes in total before it gives up and has to be recharged on my peak charger (I'm charging it at 4A). Still, it seems to turn the motor over enough that the motor should light off, but it won't. I've primed it according to the owner's manual, and that doesn't help either.

Any suggestions to get me going would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Motorhead 1968

RC Racer
    Thats cool a promo box i wish i could get that lucky!! Is the glow light on? A fresh battery does help alot when its weak it doesn't heat the glowplug enough. I usually put a few drops of nitro in the carb on hard to start trucks,not enough to flood it. That way if it doesn't start i know to look at the glow plug. Good luck
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate

Get a new battery. 4 amps for the battery is too much.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    The glow light does come on. And like I said, it seems like the motor turns over but it just won't fire, so maybe the battery is too weak to actually get the glow plug hot. I don't see what the problem with charging at 4 amps is. The instructions on the battery pack say its okay. And I am using a peak charger that goes to trickle charge mode when the battery is fully charged.

RC poster
    Problem solved, went to the friendly folks at Rob's R/C Hobbies in Westminster, CA, and Rob hooked up his personal EZ start and the Slayer fired right up. A new battery in my EZ start has solved the issue, and I have begun the break-in process. So far, so good.