RC poster

Question Need new hull for Villain IV

The hull on my Villain IV is pretty beat up. I wanted to know if i could just buy the Villain EX hull and if it would fit right up. Traxxas does not sell older hulls. Thanks in advance.

The hulls are virtually the same, but they do utilize different hatch closing systems. The IV uses four thumb screws, whereas the EX uses a single twist lock in the center of the hatch. The EX hull won't have the studs necessary to install your IV hatch. In theory, you could convert your boat over to the EX latch system, but I have never tried it.

The easiest option would be to buy a used Villain IV in good shape. Then you'll have a bunch of extra spare parts as well.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Traxxas actually sells a villain EX and IV hull. IV hull is not in stock but EX is. Now for the hatch the IV is in stock and the EX is not. I hope the hatch for the EX is in stock at one point because that is what i really want to buy.

That hatch hasn't been in stock for quite some time, if I recall correctly. I wish I had one here to compare for you, but I only have a couple of IVs. I do have experience with the EX and the 7.2V Villain (both have the newer twist lock setup), but it has been a while. If memory serves, it seems like you could modify the IV hatch, but I really can't recall exactly.

RC poster
    Do you think it would be possible to drill holes in the EX hull for the bolts needed for the lockouts on the IV hatch?

No, that wouldn't work. The studs for the IV hatch are threaded on both sides. There's a nut on the inside of the hull that secures the stud to the hull.