RC Enthusiast

HELP!!! First run on Brand New VXL 4X4 on 2S Lipo....NO Wheelies...what gives?

Hey all,
    Well, tonight I took my Brand spanking New VXL 4x4 out for her maiden voyage.
    Honestly, not a single battery pack has been run through it.

So I decided to try the "new to me" SPC...2S lipo 5000mah 7.4v batteries in it.
    The batteries have only about 3 or 4 runs on them, so they essentially brand new.

Well, to be honest I was extremely disappointed.
    And maybe I am doing something wrong.
    The truck won't even pop a wheelie with the LIPO!...I mean it should right?
    I mean it spins up dirt and such, but it's not nearly as fast as I would expect, or as fast as some of these other 4x4's on youtube???

Is there something I have to do to, so call "Prime" the Lipo's?
    The were sent to me in "storage mode" with 3.89V on each cell.
    I charge the batteries with a balance board on a Lipo safe charger, and the charger said they were full @ approx. 4.15V per cell.
    Does that sound right?
    I have two of the same batteries, and both were the same.

So just to compare, I popped the stock Traxxas Nimh 6cell 300mah 8.4v pack in, and it was faster than the lipo....I mean, still no wheelies, but it was faster in a straight line, that's for sure...

What am I doing wrong???
    I am so frustrated!!!!
    Honestly, I thought with the Lipo, the truck would be crazy....and it sure isn't.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP THIS NEWBEE!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Make sure the ESC is in sport mode, and not training mode. (Training mode runs at 50%) When you turn on the esc, hold the button down till it blinks red once. Also make sure the esc is set up for lipo. Light should be green when running. Check you slipper clutch too. Tighten all the way then back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Hope this helps

RC Enthusiast
    Same thing happened to me , I was very disappointed with mine to and still a bit am, it's so slow, my problem with the wheelies was the slipper clutch, tighten the slipper all the way down and back off 1/4 turn like Hirschowl said , I've tried 1/4 and 1/2 turn off , 1/4 turn worked best for wheelies , but it is still slow!

RC Enthusiast
    I'm using the traxxas 2s 7.4 4000mah lipo

RC Qualifier
    The stock tires are not good. Your slipper is probably too loose. The nimh should be faster since its a higher voltage pack.

Sent from my phone.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, I will double check the training mode thing, but I don't think so, and I know for sure ESC is in Low voltage detection mode ( lipo mode ) as the light is green.

I had the slipper apart to replace the bearing adapter, and the slipper is set to 1/2 turn from fully compressed.
    Traxxas recommended 1 full turn....maybe I will try the 1/4

Like I said, I look at the videos and compare the speed and it just looks night and day.
    Frustrating!!!

The Lipo discharge rate is 25C, would that impact the overall performance?

RC Qualifier
    I've used Traxxas 5000mah 9.6v 8 cell series 5 that I bought on top of the stock may that came with it a 3000mah (stock battery non lipo that came in the box)and I opened it out of the box stock and it did wheelies all day without having to adjust the slipper at al. I also had a speedpack 5100mah 7 cell 8.4v and had about 4 runs on it and did wheelies all day then one day from a flu charged it stopped doing wheelies on this battery so I popped in my traxxas battery and it did wheelies with no issues. So with that said it could be a battery issue as well even though it stated you battery is fully charged.
    Last edited by jtalaue; 06-20-2013 at 10:44 PM.

RC Competitor
    you put a 3s lipo in there you will see the speed you want... but with stock parts do NOT run 3s more than a few minutes or you could risk damaging your motor/esc. just put the 3s pack in to test it... its FAST.
    my rig is now rocking it. on my less than awesome 3s pack last night i clocked in at 57mph

Something certainly is not right with your truck. Going from 7-cell NiMH to 2S lipo was night and day.
    Recommend:
    Checking the slipper, make sure it is set right.
    You already checked for training mode, I'd check again.
    Check and make sure your spur and pinion are not too tight, you should have just a little bit of backlash between the two.
    check your drive train without the motor connected, you might have something binding.
    Spin you motor by hand, you should feel a little bit of cogging, but for the most part it should spin smoothly

Mathmatically the 7 cell NiMH should be faster than 2S, but it is not. First, the voltage in the NiMH cells drops as soon as you squeeze the trigger, where I Lipo holds if voltage. Second, Lipos can discharge faster than NiMH, allowing them to send more power to the ESC.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks all for the prompt replies...
    I tell ya, I was up till 1:00 last night looking at different people's oppinions on batteries, different specs on Batteries, yatta yatta yatta, because I was so ****ed off this think didn't tear up my yard right out of the box.

Well, I know it seems stupid, but after a crappy nights sleep, I had literally two minutes extra this am to have a quick peek at the stampede, because something just wasn't sitting right with me, and I thought maybe I did have it in training mode...and I may have.
    I played witht he ESC a bit, plugged the Lipo in, and let it rip. Well, it definatley seemed a bunch faster, but still no wheelies.
    I only had a minute, so I had to shut it down, and head to work, so I am hoping when I get home, I will be able to check the slipper, and confirm for 1000% that I am not in training mode, and hopefully I will be good to go!!!

Hopefully my son's Brand spanking New ESC from Traxxas shows up.
    the on/off button on his ESC stuck to the on position, so I sent the ESC back under warranty. Looks like Traxxas came good for a new one. His truck had only been run maybe 8 times...
    Anyway, I should get off the website before I get caught by my boss.....teehheee!
    I will check in later
    Thanks again all
    OPIPE out

RC Qualifier
    To each his own, but I would suggest next time breaking in the truck a run or two before trying to hammer the throttle through the grass. They have gotten much better but once upon a time a break-in was required for e's like nitro's, some of us even did it with the motor submerged in water to best seat the bearings. Those days are long gone with today's tech, but I still like to ease them in. They are tested at the manufacture for defects but not likely run much with a load on them. Also, after the break in runs check the truck over well for slop and loosed screws. I have had 6 traxxas vehicles between me and kids and not once has it not needed some touch up at that point. No preaching, just trying to save you some parts $$$ for more important hop-ups.

If you are familiar with a 2x Pede on lipo/velineon (my long time basher) then you are used to auto wheelies. Actually, probably working to keep em down so you can steer. This truck drives very different despite the common name. Lots more weight up front. That being said, long wheelies are in definately in there. I run some Duratrax lipos w/ same specs and she pops up front and holds from a stand still on stock gearing, but I can't wheelie while already on throttle like I can with the 2x Pede.

The talon grip will not pop the front up like some other options out there, but is not an awful all around tire. I flip the rear ones for a little more grip.

Traxxas has been a very good company to deal with in my experience. (Over the years also had Losi, Associated, Axial and several OFNA's)

Have fun bashing w/ your son!
    RSR
    KPGC treasurer (& BuRPS addict)

^^+1 I was easy on my pede for the first few runs and then it became a wheelie machine after the slipper broke in dude and I hope you and your boy have awesome father and son time.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    If you break hard to come to a full stop and then try to wheelie it won't work because the font sinks. Try coming yo a rolling stop then full throttle for a wheelie. Also on mine it seems like the motor or battery need to warm up before I get full power to wheelie.

Its the tyres that need some heat in them before they start gripping I think or just have your slipper set at 1/4 turn from tight.....................peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    +1 on everything the guys says above.
    Mine wouldn't do nice wheelies out of the box either (2S). It would barely lift the front wheels off the ground, and I could hear the high pitch wheeeee-sound for several meters when gunning the throttel. Well, I thightened the slipper clutch nut to 1/4 turn from fully compressed, and it became a lot better. But I wasn't completely happy still, and then I disassembled the clutch and rubbed the slipper pads lightly with fine sandpaper (they had a somewhat glazed appearance).
    Guess what - this is how my face looked when testing it out