RC poster

Help me resurrect my Sledgehammer

Hello,

New guy here. I've recently been bitten with the r/c bug again and dug out my old Sledge from my teenage years for my son. It needs a bunch of new parts which I've been able to find most of. The part I'm struggling with is the electronics part.

My son is 9 and for now doesn't need anything real fast (easier on the truck too) but longer run times would be ideal. I'm starting from scratch basically so I need recommendations for motor, esc, radio, servo, battery, ect. I'm leaning towards a cheap, mild brushless system and 2S batterys mostly for long run time. You can dial the power back to 50% or so on those right? I've also seen some pretty cheap radio setups for $50-60, is there something else I should be looking at?

Like I said I've recently been (re)bitten by the bug and I'm also burning a ton of money on parts for Dad so trying to keep this reasonable if possible.

Or am I better off buying something new like a wheely king and calling it a day?

The Sledge Hammer is an awesome truck, but I'd be a bit leery of starting a youngster on it because of parts availability. Something like a brushed Traxxas Stampede would be a much better option, in my opinion.

That being said, I'd go with a Traxxas XL-5 and 12T Titan combo if you choose to give the Sledge Hammer new life. I'd pick up a Traxxas TQ 2.4 (to keep costs down) for the radio system and a Traxxas 2056 for the steering servo.

As I said, the Sledge Hammer is a great truck--I love mine! If parts weren't so hard to come by, I'd definitely say that the truck would make a great starter vehicle. Heck, I've been in this hobby for 13 years, and the Sledge Hammer is still one of my favorite vehicles! I'd just hate for your son to get into a major wreck with it and have a ton of downtime while you find replacement parts.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-01-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    I picked up a brushless rustler this weekend for the kids, on training mode it's about perfect. What parts would I need for a similar setup on the sledge? Not concerned about speed as 25-30mph would be plenty. More looking for the longer run times.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You could run that BL system in the Sledge Hammer (pick up a few different sized pinion gears so that you can find the optimal gearing). That said, the drive train is pretty robust, but the lack of a slipper clutch could lead to a lot of added strain on the drive train.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle