RC Enthusiast

Before I run this Brand New Pede, what should I do????

Hi All,
    As the title says, I just picked up a brand spanking new VXL 4x4 Stampede.

Wow this puppy is shiney...and to be honest, I almost feel guilty to get it all dirty....however I know that is what it is for.

Can I ask a few questions:

Is there anything I should do before I run this truck?
    - Do I have break the motor in at all all?
    - What about letting the bearing seat?
    IS IT NESSECARY?

How should I drive this thing right out of the box?
    I want it to last quite a while, and I really take care of my things, so I don't want to Hammer it, and see what happens.....if you know what I mean....even though I know someone will suggest that...

What about the cleaning? Or "pre-coating" the unit?
    I mean I will never have it this clean again, but maybe there is something I should to, that may aid me in keeping it cleaner for longer? THOUGHTS?

One thing I am going to do, just to prevent any body cracks is the shoe goo and fiberglass tape thing around the body holes, in the event I have a bad crash or something first run..

I have an ESC fan on order, and I will be running 2S Lipos right out of the box...

Again, I am looking for any pointers from the experts to have a long ( somewhat non-expensive ) R/C experiance.

Please post away!
    Cheers
    OPIPE...

ps, the information will also be applied to both of my boys 2WD Slashes.

RC Competitor
    I am in your boat.. 3 week old stampede.. I CANT BREAK IT.
    i run mainly 2s and some 3s (motor and esc upgrade otw to REALLY run 3s).
    2s packs you wont need the ESC fan, although why not, its cheap.
    I didnt break mine in at all. I just went nuts right away.
    I am going to do tape and shoe goo tonight too. my body is in SAD shape.

RC Qualifier
    If your gonna run 3 cell lipo. Id suggest MIP rear drive shafts. All 4 if you got the cash. Other than that have fun. Maybe RPM A-Arms and a front bumper. This was my set-up and it was a tough truck. Enjoy it dude
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Qualifier
    I've had my pede 3 weeks and already toasted two rear axles. MIP's are in the mail. Fans for the esc and heatsink with a fan for the motor are good.

The aluminium bearing adaptor is a must dude part number 6893x.Welcome to the forum and the addiction dude.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    The aluminium bearing adaptor is a must dude part number 6893x.Welcome to the forum and the addiction dude.....peace
    I agree with Spenniepoos this is a MUST and since you're currently running stock and only 2S lipos upgrade stuff as you break.

RC Champion
    Yep. Shoe-goo that body, get the aluminum bearing adapter, and go for it!

RC Enthusiast
    So should I replace the Bearing Adapter before I even run?
    Or order it, and do it later?
    How quickly will the stock adapter wear out?

RC Racer
    imho just run the truck out of the box. no need to be ocd about it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by opipe View Post
    So should I replace the Bearing Adapter before I even run?
    Or order it, and do it later?
    How quickly will the stock adapter wear out?
    They should be available at your LHS and if not just order one. It depends on how you're using the Pede. For example mine melted while bashing on grass and dirty because it has to work harder then doing just speed runs.

RC Qualifier
    Good idea on the shoe goo and drywall tape. It seems most just have problems with the rear holes.

I would definitely get yourself a better front bumper. I run a t-bone with the basher bar and servo guard. http://t-bone-racing.net/Stampede-4x4-c291/

Better tires make a huge difference. Pro line trenchers or mashers are good tires. http://prolineracing.com/stampede-4x4-vxl/ The stock ones dont really grip on loose dirt or gravel.

Rear drive shafts break quickly if you set the slipper tight enough to do wheelies. I just upgraded to mip on the rear only (for now). I have already replaced the rear stock shafts and outputs once, and the outputs are bending again.

If you do run 3s, you need alot more upgrades to prevent downtime when things break. IMO stick with running 2s.

Keep an eye on the temps even with fans. Temp guns are nice. Get a fan and heatsink for the motor too! Here is a links to a page in this forum for a big heat sink fan combo. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...a-heatsink-fan

Most importantly is to just have fun with the thing. Upgrading is part the hobby.
    Last edited by Hirschowl; 06-11-2013 at 03:35 PM.

This sounds basic, but take a series of pics before you run it. It won't stay clean for long and will never be new again.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I say go out and get a few runs under your belt, and then start thinking about mods. If it is your first RC it will do you good to know how it is meant to run / handle / sound when brand new, so that when you start pulling things apart you know what you are aiming for. In my opinion the stampede is good for a couple of runs straight out of the box, and hey, even if something lets you down, you can replace it easily.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    Yep. Shoe-goo that body, get the aluminum bearing adapter, and go for it!
    +1 just go ahead and run it stock. Order the bearing adapter, and shoe goo the body whenever you get a chance. Then, you can learn the truck in stock form, and upgrade later as you see fit.

One thing you definitely should do right away though, is check over the truck for any loose screws or parts.

RC Competitor
    2 months experience with a brand-new 'Pede

Get the T-bone Racing front bumper... because you will crash into something I bent a shock the 2nd time out.

The ProLine Mashers make a HUGE difference in the traction...

Time for the bearing upgrade... something doesn't sound right in my rear end so it's time to dismantle it... might as well replace the bearing

RC Enthusiast
    Wow, Thanks all!!!
    Your advice is invaluable!!

And yes, I guess maybe I am being a little OCD, but hey, what can you do...I just want my stuff to last!

And sorry, I should have mentioned, that is one other thing I did order....the T-bone Bumper and Servo Gaurd.
    Me and Murphy from Murphy's Law are good friends, and heaven knows, first run I would take, would be straight into a tree or something...so yeh, that piece should be here soon...

Good point on the "Sound of Stock"...never would have thought about that!
    I will for sure give the whole truck a once over just to make sure everything is tight....good idea on that as well!
    At the same time, take some pics!

Well, I should get back to work, and if anyone else has any more pointers, please post away.

Cheers
    OPIPE

Just enjoy your pede man and get familiar of 2s before going into the mad world of 3s and just replace as you go along and before every bash check your wheel nuts and other parts as wellHappy bashing.....peace

RC Qualifier
    oh decent hex drivers are a must - i would even get them before any parts. You said you wanted your stuff to last and the right tools will prolong the life of the screws infinitely!

Too true dude good tools are a must if you own sweet rc's......peace

RC Enthusiast
    Well, due to all you "experts", here is what i have done.

Ordered a decent set of Hex-head tools - check
    Ordered T-bone racing bumper and servo guard - to be installed as soon as it arrives - check
    Installed ESC fan - check
    Installed Aluminum shock camps - check
    Ordered and waiting for Bearing adapter - to be installed as soon as it arrives - check
    Shoe goo'd and taped body - check
    Installed Traxxas Light bar kit ( just for some bling ) - check

And to think, I haven't even run this thing once yet!
    Call me a little OCD, but ahwell, as long as I know everything is taken care of, it makes me happy!
    Not to mention, it's so nice to work on a brand new ( not dirty ) R/C...I love it!

I figure I should be pretty much up and running by the weekend!

Thanks again everyone, I truly appreciate all the feeback!

Cheers
    OPIPE

You have got an awesome shopping list there dude.And now on the weekend get her dirty and have fun man ......peace

RC Racer
    All suggested mods are great! Once you start you won't stop lol

I run mine on 3s all the time, geared down to a 10tooth pinion
    -esc fan
    -dual motor fan
    -traxxas aluminum bearing adapter (3s will melt the plastic)
    -revo slipper upgrade (takes more heat, better power transfer and has lasted 3 months!)
    -traxxas motor mount (takes a beating)
    -MIP heavy duty axles (must for 3s, get all 4 if you can because front impacts while spinning will shread the stockers like tooth picks)
    -RPM a arms (The stock arms are pretty tough, however rpm arms have lifetime warranty and are great plus are available in a few colours)
    -traxxas aluminum hubs
    -better tires! Once you get something other then the talons it's night a day difference!

With this combo my p4de has been running (hard) for 4 months! Flips at 30 mph don't scare me anymore, just roll it over and keep bashing!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4stampedevxl View Post
    All suggested mods are great! Once you start you won't stop lol
    Well said! Thats the situation I am currently in.

Yeah its very hard to stop even when you think your done something else will catch your eye and then you need it so muchI think its called addiction......peace