The Fix to the EZ Peak Plus Fan Noise!

Hey guys, as some of you know, after a little while, the cooling fan on the EZ Peak Plus can "buzzing" or "grinding" sound at low speeds. Mine has been making funny sounds for at least 3 months now, but today, even at full fan speed, it wouldn't stop making grinding sounds. I didn't want to send it to Traxxas, I need it for a camping trip this weekend. (can't wait to take my Summit!) So, I took out the 4 screws holding it together, and I put a small drop of motor oil on the fan. Now, at any speed, the fan it really quite. Even at the very beginning, it's super quite! This could be just me, but it sounds like it's spinning even faster than it was when it was new! I just thought I'd post this for any one else that has the noise. I have no idea if this voids some warranty, but I figured it was worth a try.
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

RC Qualifier
    I had the same issue with my charger...I sent it in to Traxxas last month...They said they are replacing it with a new charger....But after 4 weeks...still no charger...

Traxxas Employee
    If you have not heard from nor received your charger yet. Please call in so we can see what is going on.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by blurrdvision View Post
    If you have not heard from nor received your charger yet. Please call in so we can see what is going on.
    Just called Traxxas....Guess the new chargers were on back order....The tech said it's on the way to me now...Hopefully with no more "bad" noises...

Hopefully with no more "bad" noises...
    Remember, just a little drop of oil will make the noise go away...
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

RC Champion
    Should not void warranty.. i have a charger by different name same issue.. sent it out for warranty and specifically told them i wanted the fan replaced and not a temp fix like oiling.. Well wen it got shipped back they forgot to remove the note that stated they removed the fan and oiled..

RC Qualifier
    Well my fan would grind so much it would stop completly...I'm no engineer but I wouldn't want something I designed making noise like that and not funtioning properly new out of the box...Very common....I would recall them and address the issue not expect people to open a new item and oil it..

RC poster
    Greetings fellow Traxxers!
    Just bought the Traxxas EZ Peak Plus 6 AMP 80 Watt Unit just yesterday and on both my 1st and 2nd charges also noticed this odd noise anomaly (obvious enough to cause concern for a first time user). I lightly tapped the fan area thinking was fan and hoping not A short circuit and sound subsided. Curious however did anyone out there purchase the new EZ Peak with I.D. recognition and still have same issue? I was. Going to purchase new unit however opted out as a) was not yet avail and b) would present compatibility issues with existing hardware. Anyhow, this seems to be a design flaw or substandard fan component built into the unit. I just hope it doesn't present or pose any safety issues. Traxxas appears to stand behind their products and services, perhaps this issue is deserving of a recall notice being posted on their web site or at a minimum inform users. Applying "a bit of oil" to such a sophisticated electronic device seems an odd way to deal with this odd issue. Mike Jenkins have anything to say? V

RC poster
    I have had two of the 2970 ID chargers so far. Out of the box, the first one made terrible grinding noises at startup but then settled into the normal, somewhat loud "whir" after 20 seconds or so. If that wasn't bad enough, the sound got worse with pretty much every charge. Eventually (after less than 6-8 charges), the fan began sounding as if it was grinding down to a halt and also started to fail mid-charge.

Since I had purchased via eBay (none of my LHS had stock), I ended up sending my 2970 in for warranty repair. I was extremely happy when I received a new, replacement unit that initially seemed to work great. No grinding or stopping - just a hairdryer-ish whirring sound while it ran.

Unfortunately, the replacement unit's fan started grinding when I kicked off a final storage charge yesterday. So, I guess I’ll be opening mine up and adding some oil to the fan bearing. Based on the other reports here, it sounds like this will "fix" the problem for a while… but I shouldn’t have to do that with a device that has only been used a handful of times in a perfectly clean environment (no debris is being sucked into the fan).

I just recently got back into RC after a very long break. (My last truck was a Midnight Pumpkin back in the early 90's.) The "Battery ID" system was a huge draw for me as I wasn’t fond of my son having to mess with LiPo charge settings. Unfortunately, the only "ID"-aware charger on the market so far has been somewhat of a letdown.

The ID system is brain-dead easy to use, though... works exactly as advertised. I just wish Traxxas offered an ID charger that was built better and could charge at a much higher rate (for large packs at 1C).

RC Enthusiast
    Ah! I have the same issue and Traxxas support told me it was normal? A bit concerning. In all my years of working with electronics, I absolutely know this is not a normal noise. The fan sounds like it is binding or is off balance. If a drop of oil solves the problem then there is obviously binding or too much friction which can lead to overheating or failure of the fan and eventually the charger which could be a bit of a problem.

I was initially told I would receive a replacement and then told it was normal and not to worry about it.

Not terribly excited about needing to tinker with a lipo charger but if a drop of oil will do the trick, so be it.

Thanks for the tip!!!

RC Champion
    I have the same issue with another brand. They even went as far as returning it for warranty repair to replace fan. Came back with a note in the box "fan did not need replacement just oiling". I thought it was quite funny to spend all that money in shipping on their part and just put a drop of oil in it and hope it lasts. Since it was brand new I went to the hobby shop showed them the note and told them I wanted a new one