Threaded View

RC Racer

Cool Just pulled the trigger on a new Platinum set-up

I'm a noob RC guy that got turned on to the Slash a few weekends ago after playing with a friends Slash 4x4 in our driveway. Wow, that was a blast. We spent the afternoon constructing small jumps, sitting in lounge chairs with cocktails, trading out the controller. Everyone was giggling all afternoon. That was it. I was done for...

I'm a middle aged software guy, fascinated with gadgets and mechanical things that go fast like lightweight carbon road bikes and full suspension mountain bikes. So when I saw the telemetry options on the Ultimate there was no turning back. But I really wanted a clear body, a better charger and a few 3S batteries, so optioning out the Platinum seemed to be a better upgrade. But the Traxxas website made it tough to tell if the Platinum had the telemetry sensors included.

Just to be sure, I made a call to Traxxas customer support this morning - their CS agent confirmed that the Slash Platinum does indeed have the telemetry sensors installed and the only pieces missing from the Slash Ultimate package for the transmitter/receiver and battery/charger. So I took the plunge on buying a Platinum, with a TQi four channel transmitter with docking set-up, a DuraTrax Onyx 245 charger and two Traxxas 3S batteries, from Tower. A little pricier than going the simple Ultimate route, but I guess I just front-ended a few optioons I knew I'd want, and saved a little coin by not paying twice for something that would get retired soon after.

The set-up arrives this Friday. Looking forward to painting the body in white and blue to thematically match my Ibis Silk SL carbon road bike, and the early Porsche Carrera RS it was inspired by.

Thanks for the forum inspiration along the way!

Cheers,

Cooper

Last edited by thinkcooper; 06-05-2013 at 02:51 PM.