RC Champion

witch servo guys? hitec, savox or other

so its been a rilly long time since i even touched the summit years maybe....
    but in boardum im slowly cleaning,taliaing worn/tweeked parts ,preserving metal parts in oil and priceing parts in the event that i want to get it running again.

ive come down to selecting a servo for the futur and im looking at a servo that can do atleast 500 oz/in+ on 6v's posible 7.4v's.
    what ive found is the hitech 7980th($180)and the savox sa-1230g3($75)but need to know your opinions on witch servo that i should get for the summit.mainly what i will be doing ranges from urban carawling to crawling side ways throught wash outs that cuase brown or black outs with stock gear.

if you guys need eny more info just reply back

thank you
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Competitor
    I use the hitec 7980's in the front and rear of my Summit (has 4WS). You will need a BEC to operate just one of them let alone two. I use them at 6.0v so I don't have to get fancy with the wiring and avoid frying the traxxas radio gear. You will have NO problems steering the biggest of tires, however your steering assy is going to take a beating, especially if you do crawling type stuff where the wheels are either not moving or against an object. I had to put in an aluminum steering arm to handle the torque. The good news is despite the 7980 being physically bigger than the standard servo it will still fit in the stock steering servo hole, you'll just have to make sure the mounting holes line up and may need to be hogged out a bit.

A word about SAVOX, I bought a few of them and they work just fine, except they have questionable customer support. I broke a high dollar servo (cant remember which one) and called to get it fixed since the gear that stripped out was the one pressed onto the motor and not available in the repair kit. The guy I talked to from Racer's Edge which is the importer for Savox said unless they can prove its a warranty issue then it would probably cost me more to send it back to Taiwan for repairs than simply replacing it. He was really cool and ready to help out, but my options were limited since I'm sure we couldn't pass if off as a warranty issue. I've owned approximately 12 Hitec servos and only one of them failed due to me not setting the end points properly. I can't speak of Hitec's warranty/customer service because I've never needed it. I'm a Hitec fanboy, lol. Oh, and look on ebay for the servos, I bought both of mine for $149 shipped.

I'm on the hitec group too.just a lightweight 7955tg 333 oz @6v
    No bec needed as its not 7.4 v capable
    And doesn't seem to cause any issues on mine.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    $74.99 for 500oz @6v, nuff said. Savox 1230 would be my choice. Ive had both brands and there's nothing wrong with Hitec. But for the price, I`ll run the Savox 1230. Was a direct drop in. Stock spline count. Way stronger than than the stock setup. Just got my aluminum servo saver in today I didnt NEED to run a BEC, but I chose to anyway. It is a Castle 10A.

To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Champion
    jamann:
    ive been gone so long that i forgot the hole torque thing.....in witch torque range would be best. last time i was on the summit section. there was talk or something that made me remember the 7980th and that it had torque.so when i came back to put this thread up. i thought that the summit needed the mid to high torque to do well at crawling duties...not realising/remembering that the stock summit uses 250 oz/in for steering.

wich the 250 oz/in did good for me but needing to use 2 servo's is in the end costly(2 servos=$70-80).and that i find the servos are not up to the task of leting the summit do its thing

so question now is what would be a good range of oz/in for crawling? im still hopeing for the 7980th but will take some time to get

hey did scainiris(not sure if i spelt his name right) every come back?
    Last edited by reod12x2; 05-17-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    jamann:
    ive been gone so long that i forgot the hole torque thing.....in witch torque range would be best. last time i was on the summit section. there was talk or something that made me remember the 7980th and that it had torque.so when i came back to put this thread up. i thought that the summit needed the mid to high torque to do well at crawling duties...not realising/remembering that the stock summit uses 250 oz/in for steering.

wich the 250 oz/in did good for me but needing to use 2 servo's is in the end costly(2 servos=$70-80).and that i find the servos are not up to the task of leting the summit do its thing

so question now is what would be a good range of oz/in for crawling? im still hopeing for the 7980th but will take some time to get

hey did scainiris(not sure if i spelt his name right) every come back?
    haven't seen him post for a while.
    There are a few guys here running the 7980 500 oz or so. a bec would probably help with that "mon steer" lol
    It's probably overkill,but its a summit the whole truck is overkill in a good way.the 333 seems to be strong enough but more is always better right lol
    Last edited by jamann; 05-17-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Reod; think down the road about what tires, wheel combination you might want in the future. 40 series tires on aluminum wheels will require more torque. to turn in tight spots than the same tires on plastic wheels. 7980 is great for aluminum wheels and 40 series tires which one of my summits has, ( Cyclone 40 Series/Mud Slinger 40) other one running aluminum wheels ( Mickey Thompson Classic II Black Beadlock Wheels/ 40 Series Baja Claws) only using 7950 with these and can tell probably going to have to go up to the 7980.
    My point is just take into consideration wheel and tires you might want in the future and pick you servo accordingly. Not much help I know but just trying to make you aware of future changes, buying the correct servo now rather than later will save you money in the long run.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Champion
    ^^^^true

for now mostly stock canyon's then meybe 3.8 trencher x's latter on....never relised but after about 2 and 1/2 years of use out of the summit everything is calling for a rebuild or replacement. same with the tires.right now the cheapest option would be the savox but is limited to just 6v at 500 oz/in where as the hitec can go to 7.4v at 611 oz/in....decisions this would be a simple choice if i had a job . but other then that thank you guys for the feed back. i appreciate it

RC Qualifier
    Just a budget word i use savox 0251mg ($40) through a castle bec on my 2.2 6x6 crawler rated at 221 oz/in. let me tell you this servo can pull a stump from the ground. More torque than a couple higher rated servos i have kicking around. Two traxxas 2075s with a bec run at 250 oz/in for both. Compared to 442oz/in for dual savox. Best part is two of these servos and a castle bec. will run you under $100 on ebay.

RC Qualifier
    Also if something happens to them your not out $180 for a non warrantied product. Another advatage of having two is if one goes you still have as much power as stock in one to get you home or bash out the rest of the day.

RC Racer
    i've been quite satisfied with the Savox 1230, especially without an external bec
    crawl-bash-swim. The Summit does it all.

RC Qualifier
    Is the savox waterproof or are you able to waterproof it?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tjtoed View Post
    Is the savox waterproof or are you able to waterproof it?
    Its not waterproof. But Ive been running mine a month through anything except submerging it and its been fine.

You could always waterproof it yourself it you wanted. Youtube it. Plastidip.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Adventurer View Post
    $74.99 for 500oz @6v, nuff said. Savox 1230 would be my choice. Ive had both brands and there's nothing wrong with Hitec. But for the price, I`ll run the Savox 1230. Was a direct drop in. Stock spline count. Way stronger than than the stock setup. Just got my aluminum servo saver in today I didnt NEED to run a BEC, but I chose to anyway. It is a Castle 10A.

Do you suggest running two or one? And with one or two BEC's?

RC Qualifier
    Ive only tried or needed one of each. But I am sometimes a fan of overkill. Would kinda eliminate the ease of using one servo though.

RC Champion
    okay 615 buck so far in rebuild costs........

but yes trencher x's will be put on. when i finish it off. provideing that the hobby shop that i go to sells them for cheaper then stock....so far the lhs has been on a price hike lately....and with the cost for the rebuild i will be going for the hitec

RC Champion
    I've got 12 of these (long story) for my build: SM-S4315M

They fit PERFECTLY and fit the stock horn. Two of them combined are easily 450oz. Cost nothing!

RC Racer
    I put in a hitec HS-7950TH. Wish I would have seen the 7980 or that savox 1230 when I was shopping around. That's one heck of a deal.