Thread: 2s or 3s??

RC Racer

2s or 3s??

Hey guys I can't make up my mind wether to buy another set of 2s battery's or just buy a set of 3s? I'm already running 2 2s and am happy but I if I go 6s I'm worries about breaking stuff

the extra heat was my biggest concern... I went back to 2/2s fast enough for me. But 2/3s is fun, needs a large area.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    the extra heat was my biggest concern... I went back to 2/2s fast enough for me. But 2/3s is fun, needs a large area.
    I have the castle blower fan on my motor running the stock 18 pinion and 65 spur and my temps never get above 140* on the motor. I have been running 6s and i ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!! , then i drive my brother revo on 4s and i floor it and then im dissapointed with the crappy power compared to 6s. I have two sets of the Traxxas 3s 5000's and they are great!!!!
    78 mph E-Revo on 6s
    65 mph Stampede on 3s

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by red914slash View Post
    I'm worried about breaking stuff
    I have only had one problem with my e-revo on 6s, that is stripping the rear diff three times because of bad avid bearings I put in there, got different bearings and its running fine. The Traxxas bearings do fine on 6s also. Main thing you have to worry about with 6s Li-po is how much power you have the truck at when landing a jump or backflip, if the tires are spinning way too fast for how slow your going, the rear diff doesn't stand a chance. So just don't be crazy with it and you will be fine!!!
    78 mph E-Revo on 6s
    65 mph Stampede on 3s

RC Enthusiast
    I agree with Charger Man, go with 6s you will love it!

I only run 6s in my eRevo...I ran 6s on stock diffs for a long time but as my driving style changed and started jumping my rig faster, bigger and harder, so the stock diffs wouldn't last from the abuse I put them under...I ended up doing the Losi diff mod and have never looked back. My eRevo is by far my favourite truck out of all my RC's and is the most fun for me to bash around .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    I ran primarily 4s which was great for offroad bashing and on the track.
    I ran 6s one evening just to see how fast the erevo was and you can't go past 1/2 throttle until you are flying otherwise you'll flip over, so I'd stick with 4s unless you want to do high speed on road runs.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    i find the trucks runs better on the higher voltage, but 6s is way to jumpy. for example if i'm coming into a jump with a short run in its a lot harder to speed up as the revo will take off so fast it will wheelie or just go out of control. with 4s it still has plenty off acceleration but not as crazy and wont go out of control as easy. another thing is when your in the air and nose down with 6s sometimes i almost end up doing a backflip. and with 4s when i want to backflikp i find it hard unless i have bigger tires on. so instead of trying to get use to 6s i've started using one 2s and 1 3s to get 5s and its been perfect. I don't think i'll use 4s anymore and 5s has plenty of top end so its not even worth going with 6s. I also get longer run times with 5s over 4s.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    i find the trucks runs better on the higher voltage, but 6s is way to jumpy. for example if i'm coming into a jump with a short run in its a lot harder to speed up as the revo will take off so fast it will wheelie or just go out of control. with 4s it still has plenty off acceleration but not as crazy and wont go out of control as easy. another thing is when your in the air and nose down with 6s sometimes i almost end up doing a backflip. and with 4s when i want to backflikp i find it hard unless i have bigger tires on. so instead of trying to get use to 6s i've started using one 2s and 1 3s to get 5s and its been perfect. I don't think i'll use 4s anymore and 5s has plenty of top end so its not even worth going with 6s. I also get longer run times with 5s over 4s.
    Im not saying you are a bad driver, but you just have to learn how to control it better, lol.
    78 mph E-Revo on 6s
    65 mph Stampede on 3s

RC Qualifier
    Maybe try the 70/30 setting? Or do you already have the transmitter set to 70/30?

Reverse can get a bit insane with the 70/30 setting on 6S though

RC Competitor
    Go with 5s

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleyK View Post
    Maybe try the 70/30 setting? Or do you already have the transmitter set to 70/30?

Reverse can get a bit insane with the 70/30 setting on 6S though
    I have been running 50/50 on 6s since I got my truck but I can't get it to switch to 70/30 for some reason, 50/50 is okay and I have already got used to it.
    78 mph E-Revo on 6s
    65 mph Stampede on 3s

RC Qualifier
    You need to set the transmiter to 70/30 and the adjust your throttle points on the ESC again. Should be a 1 minute job. You should try it .

RC Racer
    Thanks guys for all the info I'm going to go ahead and just buy some 3s battery's but what about the gearing? I'm running 18/54

RC Qualifier
    18/54 is fine to start with, if the temps stay low you could gear up to 20/54 or even 21/54, but that will probably be a little bit too much.

When I ran 21/54 on 6s my temps would get up to 88*C in no time compared to running 20/54 at 66*C, 18/54 is a good start.

I personally prefer 6s as I love the grunt my rig pushes out while bashing. 6s running is not that bad once you get use to it and you've tweaked your punch, torque and throttle curve settings to your driving style...I am often able to full throttle my eRevo in short spaces without it wheeling out of control now that my ESC settings is customised to my driving style.

Learning throttle control is equally important when running 6s ...I run my Tx on 70/30; and with my reverse and braking set at 30% my eRevo is very tame when brake and reverse is applied...GL2U
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Yep without the tamed brake settings its almost impossible to go backwards just a few meters on 6S and 70/30. Castle link is really one of the first things you should buy, and in my opinion, it should have been included.