RC Enthusiast

Do I need a new chasis? Stripped self tapping screw holes

While running my rustler, the rear shock tower detached due to the self tapping screws pulling through. I'm about to make an order for the proper hex screws and just thought they may not hold. So I may need to order a new chassis and trans case. Does anyone know if the hex screws will hold on a hole stripped by the XL5 self tappers? Tks.

RC Racer
    Just an idea. Use bigger screws. Maybe sheet metal or would screws. Since the holes are already stripped out...
    Brushless Rustler XL5 - MERV VXL

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    just put ca glue on the machine screws when you install them.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    You can drop a much longer screw in the holes that you are talking about. I wouldn't worry about getting a new chassis or using different threaded screws.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Self tapping screws are not meant to be removed and installed repeatedly. They will destroy the plastic eventually. Machine screws are much better at not stripping out. If he has to buy screws anyway, why not get the right ones... A bit of ca glue on the new screws, combined with some waiting time after install will have everything as good as new again. Dont buy longer self tappers, it will just happen again.

RC Qualifier
    rag6 does the CA glue stay behind kinda like a helicoil? I too have stripped a hole before with both self tapping and a machine screw and have just gone to a bigger screw if i can or hope blue loctite holds lol. But if the CA acts like a helicoil and not a permanent install im gonna try it.
    "You just got passed by a Traxxas"

it does. i fixed a pair of very badly stripped beadlocks from a racer at the track. I bought a set for myself and as a preventative, I put a tiny drop on each screw every time I changed tires. I never had a hole strip on me, let alone have a beadlock fail. I have not found a stripped plastic hole that ca cant fix.

RC Enthusiast
    Good info! New screws with CA sounds like the ticket. Thank you all.