RC Racer

spur gear smooth movement

hello, i purchased a chop shop xo-1 roller awhile back. when i got it the spur gear turned pretty freely, then i changed the spur gear, swapped the shock location, that is all i did. also there is no motor in the car right now. now the spur gear is very notchy when i turn it. i even put everything back to original part and location and still have the same issue. i have tried different methods of tightening the screws but the only thing that seems to help is if i hold the back chassis sub assembly up from the end of the diffuser and tighten the screws, it helps a little till i tighten the aluminum plate that connects the front and rear of the car. then things tighten up again. on my slash 4x4 i have had no problems like this and everything has been modified on it. no one in my area has a xo-1 so i have no help,hobby shops around me are no help. so i wonder if this is normal until the car gets some time on it which will not be till spring(i live in illinois). any replies will be welcomed because i want the car to ready to roll when it gets warm. thank you kz903

RC Champion
    With no motor installed the spur should turn freely. Which spur did you install? Only thing I can think of is the shaft might be contacting the rear diff inside the housing. Or, the gear that slides into the center driveshaft might not be installed properly.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    i have the 46 tooth spur gear. point of interest, how many washers(shim) are supposed to be on the shaft that goes into the rear diff ? i have one shim. i do not think i lost one in my post thanksgiving turkey induced coma. thanks kz903

RC Champion
    You should only have one. It's not installed backwards is it?

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    it is a flat washer .020 thick, flat sided, .25 center hole, about.37 inches in diameter (measurements s.a.e.). i can keep it turning freely till i tighten everything down. getting ticked. thanks kz903

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kz903 View Post
    it is a flat washer .020 thick, flat sided, .25 center hole, about.37 inches in diameter (measurements s.a.e.). i can keep it turning freely till i tighten everything down. getting ticked. thanks kz903
    Should be a gray washer. Not sure of the thickness. Is the washer gray in color?

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    yes it is, so i do know what else to do. thanks kz903

RC Champion
    Not sure what it could be other than maybe the gear is backwards. Weird problem though.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    gear is not on backwards. when i got the new gear i just took out the screws and slipped off the original gear then slipped the new gear on checking the the fit and placement. i have got it now to where it is smooth in some spots and notchy in other spots. so i am thinking about taking the motor out of my slash and putting it in the x and just running it slowly to maybe smooth things out or kill it so i can isolate the problem. thanks kz903

RC Champion
    I'm guessing the notchy feeling is the shaft contacting the diff itself within the housing. I have run into this when fitting the Slash 4x4 slipper assembly. But, I have never had this issue using the stock cush drive assembly. I would double check the pin that secures the cush drive assembly to the shaft to make sure it's seated correctly.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    have you open your rear diff, check out the gear for any missing tooth.
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Racer
    got tired of messing around, bought a new cush drive ,input shaft, spur gears, and rear diff. kz903

RC Champion
    Let us know what you find out.
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    You get this sorted out yet?

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    no, waiting on parts that were due today. have to work saturday, so if i get my parts tomorrow i will get up before sunday kickoff and put it together and see where i stand. thanks kz903

RC Champion
    no, waiting on parts that were due today. have to work saturday, so if i get my parts tomorrow i will get up before sunday kickoff and put it together and see where i stand. thanks kz903
    Gotcha. Let us know how it turns out.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    hello, just installed new rear diff, cush drive assembly, gear , etc. smooth as silk now. do not know what is wrong with the original assemblies, visually nothing seems to be wrong or broken. just glad someone did not pay 700.00 for the car and have these problems. good to go kz903

RC Champion
    hello, just installed new rear diff, cush drive assembly, gear , etc. smooth as silk now. do not know what is wrong with the original assemblies, visually nothing seems to be wrong or broken. just glad someone did not pay 700.00 for the car and have these problems. good to go kz903
    Glad you got it sorted out!

Jeremy
    Jeremy