Thread: Loud whining

RC Competitor

Loud whining

My stampede 4x4 sat for about 2 weeks without use, I wd40 it all up before putting it on the shelf.

I drove yesterday and off the line it has a loud whinint sound to it for like 3 seconds and definitely doesnt have the jam it used to. I used to not be able to keep front wheels on the ground using my 2s lipo now it just whines and doesnt even spin out or wheelie or anything. If im on rocks or gravel it spins a little bit.

Thought maybe slipper clutch got loose so I readjusted it, it was a little rusty despite the wd40 but even after adjusting it still just whines.

Any idea?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    If you put wd40 on the slipper that's the problem
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Competitor
    Ok so what do I need to do?

RC Qualifier
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

I would tear down the slipper clutch and clean or replace the pads depending on their condition. Sure sounds like they got WD40 on them and that needs to be removed or the pads replace. After that make sure it is adjusted properly and you should be good to go.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys, never had it opened up yet, are the pads inside the rear end or if I take rear end of chassis off will they be outside the sealed part

Yes dude take the back off with the 4 bolts and then you can access the slipper unit and next time you are out at the hardware shop look for a dry silicone spray its better than wd40 and it will not attract dirt and stuff and try and keep and lube away from the the slipper in furture......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Check the wife....First thing I do with any loud whining.

HA HA I was going to put something on those lines but she's sitting next to me so i through its not worth a night sleeping in the spare room......peace

Another thing, sometimes the pads and slipper get a heat-glaze that can be removed with fine sandpaper. Just rough it up a little.

Sent from my Super-Kindle
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    Thanks again or all the advice. If its wd40 on the pads how do I clean it off? What would clean it up good.

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=Logan88;5502215]Thanks guys, never had it opened up yet, are the pads inside the rear end or if I take rear end of chassis off will they be outside the sealed part

With that ^ being said I would wait on the rebuild kit till you take it apart. As OG stated the pads get a heat glaze on the surface, and will need to be scuffed with sandpaper. I leave the pads on the part there installed onto and with sandpaper (200 grit) on a flat surface, lightly move in a circular motion.

This will help get a better picture, link

http://traxxas.com/explodedviews/670...ampede-4X4-VXL

If you have more the 30 runs on your truck, I would go thought and check all your bearings.

Maintenance is key to less down time and frustration. JMHO
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Competitor
    Took it apart during my lunch break and scuffed the pads with some sandpaper and put it back together, it was definitely shiny and glazed. It has a lot more get up and go now but still no wheelies.

I forgot to mention I broke my wheelie bar so I took it off before shelfing it a few weeks ago. Would the wheelie bar be enough extra weight on the rear end that I lost is causing the loss of the wheelies?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan88 View Post
    Would the wheelie bar be enough extra weight on the rear end that I lost is causing the loss of the wheelies?
    No, that wouldn't be it. The wheelie bar doesn't weigh that much at all. How far down did you tighten down your slipper?

RC Competitor
    While I had it out, all the way tight and back 1/4 turn

RC Competitor
    While I don't necessarily suggest this, I put the Stampede 4x4 up against the wall and ran it slowly until the slipper clutch smoked. This was after a liberal amount of wd40 had been put on it (lack of knowledge). After that I tightened it back down and it seems OK, with some slip still there. Wheelies fine. I do have a rebuild kit on hand though.

So it might require getting all the wd-40 out of the pads?

RC Competitor
    Pads didnt look wet, plus I sanded them until all the shine was completely gone.

Brake cleaner can help to get the clutch and pads clean.
    Nobody is born with experience

^^+1 on what peter said or you can use electric motor cleaner spray thats what i use and it will get all the wd40 off but make sure the slipper plate has no wd40 on it as well as the pads man....peace

RC Enthusiast
    hahaha wd-40 on it

RC Qualifier
    Will WD-40 really be a issue? It is not a lubricant and the effects should not last long.

Yes it leaves a film of lube over what ever it touches dude i got it over my disc brakes on my mtb once it took time for the brakes to come back.......peace

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Brake cleaner can help to get the clutch and pads clean.
    I didn't think about it till I read this but electric motor cleaner should work as well. But I wonder if wd40 will soak into the pads and not come out.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Good thing about brake cleaner (at least the stuff which I use) evaporates and leaves no residues.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    WD-40 is for Water Displacement to prevent rust and displacing water, hence the name WD. (Formula 40) Forty tries before they got it right. WD-40 has a million uses but it should never ever be used as a lubricant, especially in a dirty, and dusty environments. And it will soak into the slipper clutch pad rendering them useless. Keep wd-40 away from moving parts. Use a silicon or teflon based lube. The results are much better, and moving parts will last longer. I personally use bones speed cream on my bearings after cleaning. Use the same lube on my longboard ceramic bearings, and they are super, super fast! Oh and Spenniepoo, use a teflon based lube on your mtb. It works wonders on your chain and derailleurs and help shed mud and water

Thanks dude i did not have anything else at the time and was being lazy And yes i love bones speed cream being a 35 year old skateboarder and been using it on my bearings for years....peace