RC Racer

Help!! I cant solder :(

4 or 5 burns later and crappy ends, i've determined i cant do it, atleast not this week..

trying to put the mamba monster setup in my emaxx. does anyone make a harness in series that i can plug right into the mm2 esc then out to the batteries without soldering?

You should practice quite a bit before attwmpting to work on an esc. Practice soldering some wire together.

Yes you can get a fabbed up dual plug off the internet. Or you can buy the MMM with TRX plugs already installed.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Look up YouTube vids for tips.
    <P4de VXL|Castle 3800kv|MM2|MIP|STRC|Proline|SPC>

RC Qualifier
    What kinda iron U using? heat plays a BIG part in soldering them thicker wires.

RC Qualifier
    When I bought my MM2 the guy at my hobby shop soldered it for me. that's what I would do if I were you

Quote Originally Posted by knall View Post
    What kinda iron U using? heat plays a BIG part in soldering them thicker wires.
    Yup.

I use a 45W iron, it works well on just about anything < 14g, anything bigger than that and I use flux; but even then larger wire gives me fits if my shop is cold.

You always want to practice on like material before you put the heat to your expensive electronics. And, heat is not your friend, you want to limit the amount of heat you apply to your work.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    My LHS does it for $15, or $10 if you bought from them.

Easiest way ive found is to tin (cover the end of the wire in a big bead of solder), then clamp the connecter piece between two pieces of wood to ur workbentch.

Then take a pair of pliers to hold the wire (on the insulation helps), then hold the iron to the bottom of the connector and the wire to the top.

The wood insulates the connector so it heats easier, and by using pliers, you avoid burning yourself on the hot wire. That being said, Ive soldered 30+ traxxas connectors and they still give me fits sometimes.

Make sure your iron has a good tip and its tight, and flux helps. I have a Weller 100/120W gun, a Weller 200/240W gun, a 15/30W iron and a 60W iron, and do lots of soldering, but RC connectors are probably the hardest and most annoying thing to solder, especially for a beginner.

Good luck, and ya, practice on some wire a little.
    This parrot is NO MORE!!! This is an ex-parrot!!!

RC Qualifier
    Also wear glasses. Back in 2006 I was lucky enough to somehow get hot solder in my eye. Remember to use a damp sponge to clean the tip. Every 10 or so seconds I scrub both sides on the sponge a few times.
    People Eating Tasty Animals

RC Champion
    Ya, good point. At the very least the smoke can irritate ur eyes.

RC Qualifier
    Also gloves, after change from front to back of the table, grabbed the soldering iron on the wrong side !!

RC Champion
    With practice you should be fine, the first time is always daunting. I press the two things to be soldered together with my flat tip, so that i comes out smooth and not bulky.

For RC anything above 45w is good, below that it is really for electrical circuits. I personally like and use 80w, all rounder, not to cold, or hot and fast to manipulate.

But first melt a bit on each of the wires or plate to be soldered.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    Also, if you havnt, tin the tip of the soldering gun every few uses (especially the first time) to clean it and allow it to transfer heat well.

To tin, basically cover it in solder, which will drip off, then immediately wipe it on a wet sponge to remove the flux residue. Should leave it all shiny and good to conduct heat

RC Champion
    *gun or iron