RC Champion

Why does my Spartan's power drop?

I just bought 2 3s 5000mah 25c lipos today.

I was just running my boat and it was running great for about 15mins, then the boat's power dropped and o had to bring it back to land. I took the hatch off and my batteries and motor were both warm.

Did my batteries die or did it kick into thermal shut down mode?

What kind of run times should I be getting with these batteries? I was mostly cruising with a few WOT throttles for a second or two.

RC Racer
    It is doing what it is supposed to do. It's low voltage detection (lvd). Lipos do this to prevent from dropping a minimum voltage.

E-Maxx. Spartan. 4x4 slash. 2x4 slash x 3. Mini revo and summit
    E-Maxx kershaw 700`s 4x2 slash 4x4 slash vxl

RC Champion
    So does that mean my batteries are done for that run?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yes, if you run it again without charging chances are you will damage your lipos and it wont hold a charge ever again. ESC is program to cut out when lipo hit at 3.2v per cell.

RC Qualifier
    yes it does mean they are done until you let them cool and recharge them.did you charge them after you bought them? i had mine out last night on 5s both were 5400 mah and i got more then 15 mins. if i were you i'd get an alarm and set it for 3.4 for 4s and 5s and 3.5 for 6s.i have ordered 2 for mine( 1 for each battery) some might say its over kill but sometimes 1 batteries cell drop faster then others.
    Last edited by hopduperevo; 05-07-2013 at 08:16 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Another possibility is your batteries are marginal for discharge rate.

5000mah (5 amp) batteries with a 25C discharge are rated to discharge at a max of 125 Amps

Under certain conditions, like hard WOT acceleration, or accelerating hard in a corner to maintain plane, etc., you could draw close to, or more than, 125 amps

If your batteries won't keep up, the voltage will drop, and activate the lvc early.

15 minute run time on 5000mah batteries is excellent, so you are not experiencing early lvc, but if you notice it cutting out early under certain running conditions, the C rating on your batteries may be the cause.

hog

EDIT, In fact 15 minutes is pretty long run time. If you are running easy, it is likely normal, but check to ensure your ESC is properly set to the lipo battery setting to ensure the lvc is active.
    Last edited by hog; 05-07-2013 at 10:18 PM.