Thread: sand

RC Racer

Question sand

i plan on going to the beach this summer and wanted to know how much damage the sand will to to the truck in general? i know to stay out of the water there because of salt i am worried about the sand particles hurting some thing(motor,bearings,ect)

RC Racer
    Brushed o brushless? Fresh or salt water? I made a condom to run mie in the snow worked great keeping snow off and out of the truck u can buy a chassie cover also that would help keep some sand out but it will get in everything no matter how hard u try after running its bath time and then its lube time be carfull blowing compressed air at it as it will/ may blow sand into bearings.... you will b cleaning way more then running

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't worry about grains. (keep cover on spur gear) no worse than any other dirt but if it is salt water beach, not a bad idea to quick rinse the whole car when you finish every few days or so. But... that too will corrode black oxide hardware unless dried immediately or lubed in advance so who knows. I would at minimum closely monitor for corrosion of most anything metallic.
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Racer
    yeah i think im going to stay off the beach.

RC Racer
    Yeah I know you can got good covers that keep everything clean, but I wouldn't risk it!! Those electronics are expensive!

RC poster
    I took mine on the beach, everything is fine. It didn't do as well as I thought (stock brushless merv) Sand tires would help out if you plan on going. After I was done I hosed it off, Used some air to dry it off and then soaked it (spraying) with wd40 looks like new and runs like new still. No rust.

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    Third one down on the left. Thats 29.15 us dollars by the way
    Drive. Crash. Fix. Repeat.

RC poster
    Fine sand has a habit of finding its way into places one would think impossible. Sand also is very abrasive & will wear moving parts. Personally I think the salt water would be safer than the sand. Just cover the chassis & running gear in CRC. Then it'll create a protective barrier & avoid corrosion. But as you can't avoid the sand at the beach, safest bet is to avoid it,

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by madparaplegic View Post
    Fine sand has a habit of finding its way into places one would think impossible. Sand also is very abrasive & will wear moving parts.
    In my world, all dirt does that, where it winds up depends how big the grains are- from small gravel to silt
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.