RC poster

Emaxx 8903 550 motor replacement

Hello
    I'm new to RC, Had a 8903 Brushed Emaxx for about 5 weeks and pretty disappointed with the durability of the stock truck. you name it already broke it and upgraded it!!
    2 of my friends also got The same Emaxx we got together & built a track some good sized jumps with small wood shavings to land in from a planner with large banked corners & 1 long sprint section.

2 of us geared down to 15/68 because we lost motors, now I lost another set.
    I want a better motor ugrade.

what is the most durable motor @ a reasonable cost

PS 2 of us also got brush less Slash 4X4 so ya can tell we got the RC bug and already broke driveshaft yokeso
    Last edited by JCsCustom; 05-14-2013 at 10:18 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Titan 775 or dewalt to stay brushed, or go brushless.
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zball94 View Post
    Titan 775 or dewalt to stay brushed, or go brushless.

Between a 775 & the dewalt which one is faster & most durable

I saw something about the hobbywing brushless how are these, will set up work with my 2.4 controller (witch model combo) or go with the momba 2

RC Competitor
    The Dewalt has replaceable brushes. I haven't ran a Dewalt but I've ran the 775 and went brushless soon after that. It had more torque than the stock 550s but the speed seemed a little slower. If you want to go brushless there are much cheaper options than getting a Mamba Monster system. For example I went with a Hobbywing SC8 120a Waterproof esc and a ******* 2100kv 4 pole brushless motor and only spent around $115 and it has plenty of power. The Mamba Monster has a little more power but the price difference is huge. I like how Traxxas forums blocks the motor manufacturer.

Edit: Forgot to add the Hobbywing esc can only handle up to 4s lipo while the Mamba can handle 6s.
    Last edited by Zane_Grey; 05-14-2013 at 01:09 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane_Grey View Post
    The Dewalt has replaceable brushes. I haven't ran a Dewalt but I've ran the 775 and went brushless soon after that. It had more torque than the stock 550s but the speed seemed a little slower. If you want to go brushless there are much cheaper options than getting a Mamba Monster system. For example I went with a Hobbywing SC8 120a Waterproof esc and a ******* 2100kv 4 pole brushless motor and only spent around $115 and it has plenty of power. The Mamba Monster has a little more power but the price difference is huge. I like how Traxxas forums blocks the motor manufacturer.

Edit: Forgot to add the Hobbywing esc can only handle up to 4s lipo while the Mamba can handle 6s.
    I sent. you a PM

RC Champion
    i run the hobby wing sensored 1800kv/150amp esc in my 3903. it is 6s capable. and a beast.

here is a example of what i run. there is also a 2000kv, and a 2200kv combos avaliable. sensored means no cogging. i love it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOBBYWING-XE...item20d1cb9f24

this is only on 4s lipo, and 20/58 gearing. no calibrating my own esc inputs yet either.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ifA_H402Nk

honestly its up to you because my sensored combo just might go in my summit. i have the cc mm2/2200kv combo just itching to try out on the e-maxx.
    Last edited by ajcar; 05-14-2013 at 04:00 PM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    dewalt or brushless.
    money no object brushless. Money not so good dewalt.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by JCsCustom View Post
    I sent. you a PM
    I sent you an email.

RC Qualifier
    Lol, no PM for me? lol. I have felt those bleeep are way underrated on value. If I go brushless in the future, I'll be going with those.

RC Champion
    i could also say google castle creations. check there bargin sales. the old mmm/2200kv was $215.00 which is a steal.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldrcguy View Post
    Lol, no PM for me? lol. I have felt those bleeep are way underrated on value. If I go brushless in the future, I'll be going with those.
    Most of the time what I have noticed happens on forums is people will tend to steer you in the more expensive direction. I did a lot of research when deciding whether to go brushless or not and most of the time people were recommended to get a Mamba Monster or a Tekin Rx8. Sure both systems are nice but there are cheaper options out there. I love the bleep motor and it only cost me $37.77 + shipping. Also with my E-Maxx I didn't need the most powerful system there was, I have no need to go 40+mph offroad when bashing. The highest speed I have hit was a little over 38 and that was fast enough for me. Another thing was a waterproof esc, Castle finally makes waterproof escs but ithey are expensive! The Hobbywing only cost me 68.00 shipped! It is only capable of 4s but that seems plenty for bashing.

Hobby grade RCs already cost a lot to purchase and maintain. It's nice to save some money sometimes and explore all options available.

RC Champion
    For sure. I don't know how people can drive over 30mph off road. It only looks good on a large dirt track, on a lumpy field it's a nightmare.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Qualifier
    Exactlly, depending on how a person plans of playing with the truck determines what upgrades it's needs. I always hate to see someone sinks $500 bucks in one, and turn around a few months later and loss their buts trying to sell it when the new wears off. Don't smash it or abuse it and it will run for awhile and you'll have lots of fun. I love brushless, but brushed is fun also. I would love to have a mamba, I won't pay their price, but a Bleep would be great also, and well worth the value. Upgrading doesn't mean you have to have the best, titanium, or what someone tells you you need (mamba). The main thing is have fun, don't let it turn into a money pit lol.