RC Enthusiast

Dual 55012T in 3903?

Can dual 550 12T motors be used as replacements for the stock 550 21T motors on a 3903 E-Maxx?

RC Champion
    They can be used, and there will be a difference between them and stock, but frankly i am not sure how much of one.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by revoman78 View Post
    They can be used, and there will be a difference between them and stock, but frankly i am not sure how much of one.
    I'm only considering it because I'm about to go out of town with my truck and I can get them faster than the stock 21T. Traxxas shipped me new ones but they might not make it in time. Thanks for the reply!

RC Qualifier
    12T motors will turn much faster with less torque, so you will sense a difference.
    2wd Slash VXL
    3906 MMM

RC Racer
    sounds like a re gear would be in order

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by diggerdad View Post
    sounds like a re gear would be in order
    Yeah thats what i'm thinking, its just annoying. I'm going on vacation and I want to take my truck along with my sons to run around. My E-maxx isn't even a full month old and the motors are done. It is cool that Traxxas is just sending me new ones but they don't really communicate the delivery or shipping service even when asked.

What gearing set up would you guys recommend for this?

None. The 12T motors are designed to run on a maximum of 8.4V (nominal) but are much happier and last much longer in 7.2V (nominal) applications. The EXV-2 outputs 14.4V (nominal) to each motor. The 12T motors almost certainly won't last very long on that voltage.
    Per Traxxas:
    NOTE: Titan 12T motors are intended for use in single motor and single battery pack applications, up to 8.4 volts. Traxxas does not recommend the use of Titan 12T motors in dual motor vehicles, such as the E-Maxx, Villain, or Villain EX.
    I'd heed the warning.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Word is bond on the warning.

My local hobby shop just got in a few of the correct titan 550 21T's so I'm good for the week!