RC Qualifier

After run maintenance

Does any one else run into their engine hydrolocking on after run oil when cold starting
    Desmosedici RR

RC Racer
    Don't put too much in, you'll be all good with a couple drops or a quick 1 second squirt with wd-40

RC Champion
    I stopped running after run oil. Even using a drop or 2 it was causing OWB to slip and making it impossible to start. Have had no ill effects

RC Qualifier
    I try to follow the Traxxas instructions which basically say: run enough through it until you don't have any residual fuel left in it. So I just keep running WD-40 through it until it comes out clear! Too much?
    Desmosedici RR

RC Racer
    Do not run wd-40 it locks the engine up after a while use kroil.

Regardless of what you use for after run, ARO, WD-40, Kroil, etc, etc… They are all a liquid/fluids, liquids are not compressible (well some are slightly but not with a nitro engines compression) use too much of any and the engine will hydro lock. It’s that simple.
    If you use too much, just pull the plug before you start it the next time and clear the engine of the excess.
    If my engines sit for a while with ARO, I pull the plug before starting and flush out the ARO with some WD-40. I then spin the engine a few times without the plug to get rid of most of the wd and they start rather easily.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    i was reading the traxxas top fuel 20 percent bottle and it says it virtually eliminates the need for after run oil if a nitro engine is to be stored for short time storage.

WHat is considered short time storage>?

RC Racer
    I would use the ARO unless you know for certain it will be ran in a day or less. Even if you just think it will be ran later I would go ahead and do the after run procedure, because if you happen to not get it out then you are likely to forget to add the ARO later.

Quote Originally Posted by 2010 View Post
    i was reading the traxxas top fuel 20 percent bottle and it says it virtually eliminates the need for after run oil if a nitro engine is to be stored for short time storage.

WHat is considered short time storage>?
    2~3 days, at least that's what I consider short, any longer & I ARO them.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    I talked with the VP racing fuel guy and they claimed no ARO needed. He said he ran nitro's himself and did ARO. I don't bother if I'm going to run in the next 24 hours or so, but anymore than 2-3 days I do it. I usually shoot a second or two of WD in the carb throat and hit the starter so it will suck it into the cylinder. Alot of times I hear the engine pick it up by rotating faster. When I'm done running it for the day, I always cut the fuel to empty the engine, no matter what I plan on doing.

Quote Originally Posted by riley n View Post
    Again, as others have stated, this is false. Many people, including me use WD-40 as an ARO for their nitro engines. The stuff works perfectly as it is a water deterrent.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

Not sure why you've posted this on more than one occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by carraig042 View Post
    Again, as others have stated, this is false. Many people, including me use WD-40 as an ARO for their nitro engines. The stuff works perfectly as it is a water deterrent.

-Brett

+1 I use WD-40 to store the engine for the entire winter, no ill effects.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    WD actually stands for "Water Displacement", formula 40. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wd40
    The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture
    Last edited by Oldrcguy; 05-06-2013 at 12:20 PM.

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    i would prolly use wd-40 if not for my work bench being in my house in my computer office, the wife would say she has a headache from it everyday cause of the smell, haha....

as far as ARO locking up the engine wow youd have to use a lot.... what i do is pull the plug, put in the oil, with the plug still out turn the engine over many times, either with the pull start or flywheel if its electric start so the oil doesnt come up out of the plug hole, then put your plug in... if you do this the oil isnt just in the cylinder so the next time you turn the motor over it shouldnt lockup...
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Qualifier
    As I'm reading these replies I figured out I'm using way too much! I've been running WD-40 through it until I get no fuel color left what so ever. Just clear wd40 blowing out the top.
    Desmosedici RR

RC Racer
    On the dvd that came with my new engine, they say to use wd40 after running. They recomend to take out glowplug, spray into engine for 1 second spray and in carb, then putting a rag on top of engine, rotate engine for 5-10 seconds, repeat. then replace glowplug and you're ready for the next run.

I will watch it again incase I got something wrong. He might have said to repeat 2 more times.

To the O.P. If it's hydrolocking, either you are not running the engine empty of fuel when doing your After run, OR you are using too much oil....

You only need 1-2 drops down the carb and 2-3 drops down the glow plug hole...

But don't worry easiest remedy is this,,, loosen the glow plug when you go to start a cold engine... Tight enough for it to start, loose enough to relieve some of the pressure, then when started tight the plug back up...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Nitro. I've definitely been using way to much.
    Desmosedici RR

RC Qualifier
    so its not necessary to remove the glow plug for after run oil as long as you put some drops into the air filter intake and open up throttle into the carb and hit the ez start a couple of seconds?

Also is it ok to use traxxas foam filter oil for after run oil? how about regular automotive oil?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010 View Post
    so its not necessary to remove the glow plug for after run oil as long as you put some drops into the air filter intake and open up throttle into the carb and hit the ez start a couple of seconds?

Also is it ok to use traxxas foam filter oil for after run oil? how about regular automotive oil?
    no dont put the after run oil on your air filter, dripping down the carb is fine, but i always do threw the glow plug hole, use wd-40 or ARO, dont use air filter oil as ARO...

the reason most manu's say not to put ARO/wd-40 down the carb is because of o-rings, but ive read traxxas o-rings arent heavily affected by these oils... i found out the hard way they are and ive had to replace 3 expanded o-rings from exposure to wd-40

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by carraig042 View Post

-Brett
    Quote Originally Posted by mandijames View Post
    Did you just copy and paste that persons response? This wd-40 myth has already been busted.
    Big Air Don't Care

Quote Originally Posted by kuskye25 View Post
    no dont put the after run oil on your air filter, dripping down the carb is fine, but i always do threw the glow plug hole, use wd-40 or ARO, dont use air filter oil as ARO...

the reason most manu's say not to put ARO/wd-40 down the carb is because of o-rings, but ive read traxxas o-rings arent heavily affected by these oils... i found out the hard way they are and ive had to replace 3 expanded o-rings from exposure to wd-40
    Traxxas actually recommends WD-40 as ARO for their engines and yes TRX engine o-rings are not affected by WD-40.. But I have a couple different Nitro engines so I just use Marvel Mystery Oil for my ARO... I always have that stuff around in the garage anyways and it works excellent will not harm o-rings at all.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Racer
    Would you still do it if you were running sidewinder fuel? Even though it says not to?

If the engine is not going to be run for a few day, its not that big of an issue as long as you make sure to clear/burn off any remaining fuel in the engine. Longer than a few days, it would be best to do the ARP no matter what fuel you use.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozrevoguy View Post
    Would you still do it if you were running sidewinder fuel? Even though it says not to?
    Is Sidewinder going to buy you a new engine if it does get internal rusting?
    After run takes what, 5 minutes if you are taking your sweet time... It saves what? Your $105.00 engine, having to break in another engine or rebuild the one you have...

I will go 1 week without ARO but no longer, then again where I live there is not a lot of variance in temps and hummidity is always 70-80%....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Traxxas actually recommends WD-40 as ARO for their engines and yes TRX engine o-rings are not affected by WD-40.. But I have a couple different Nitro engines so I just use Marvel Mystery Oil for my ARO... I always have that stuff around in the garage anyways and it works excellent will not harm o-rings at all.
    thats why i said i read wd-40 doesnt hurt traxxas o-rings and most of them it doesnt, but it did hurt a few of mine "stock o-rings in a 3.3", it made them expand enough they wouldnt fit anymore....

2 exhaust o-rings, between header and engine, and also one on the HSN once when i was cleaning my carb... but ive also had 10+ other o-rings that werent effected, in any case i just dont hit them with wd-40 anymore, but just as you said i also wanted the op to be aware if he has other nitros besides traxxas...

i also have used sidewinder for almost 2 years now, along with vp powermaster ive used recently..... to the op i can tell you all fuel will cause corrosion ive seen it in a few of my engines that only used sidewinder race blend 20% nitro 12% oil... but i tear my engines down enough i saw it and cleaned it before it was anything to shake a stick at...
    Last edited by kuskye25; 05-14-2013 at 03:06 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Is Sidewinder going to buy you a new engine if it does get internal rusting?
    After run takes what, 5 minutes if you are taking your sweet time... It saves what? Your $105.00 engine, having to break in another engine or rebuild the one you have...

I will go 1 week without ARO but no longer, then again where I live there is not a lot of variance in temps and hummidity is always 70-80%....

Only asking lol. I usually run mine almost every 3days.

RC Qualifier
    And here I thought this would be such a simple question
    Desmosedici RR

RC Racer
    You'd think so lol

RC Champion
    is anything in rc's simple with everyone having their own way of doing things..... i will say this though i do love having tons of opinions from seasoned guys, even if they differ a bit, then you can always find a good medium to do that will always be safe...