RC Racer

debate between 2 friends whos right???????

ok so my buddy and me just went from him having a losi nitro stadium truck and me having a losi aftershock
    he got a rustler vxl new cam with the 2s lipo payed 350 for it
    i just got a rustler xl-5 thats been turned into a vxl but has nimh batterys 8.4v i think for 175
    now we have 2 debates on our plates

1: I want to run lipos i say 3s he sez 2s all we do is bash around at his place and on a farm not trying to do high speed runs or anything just having fun

2: mine came with talons on the back i want to put them on the front to but he said it would mess with the steering servo i dont think it will cause its the same servo they use in the stampede that has the talons on it as well as 4x4

ikno these questions have be reviewed before on other forums but it seems to always end with a argument of 20 diff peoples opinions so i figured i would put this up on the raxxas forum and maybe get a more straight forword answer
    thanks for the help

1) Just depends how fast you want to go. 2s will get you ~45-50 mph and generally be more controllable, easier on parts, and less expensive. You also will have less temp issues running a 2s.

2) The servo can handle3 Talons but the steering response will be slower and more clumsy. When you put Monster truck tires on a Stadium truck it tends to handle more like a Monster Truck than a Stadium Truck.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    so with the bigger tires think upgrading to the tra2075 would help?

Quote Originally Posted by speedpro22 View Post
    so with the bigger tires think upgrading to the tra2075 would help?
    Upgrading the servo to a 2075 or better servo will help for sure, the difference would be noticeable even witht he stock sized tires.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I'd stick to 2S if you're just bashing in the yard and don't want speed runs. Like dad said, maintenance will be less too.

RC Champion
    I have a Rustler vxl with a castle motor but its basically the same thing. I run a 2075 servo and it works great.pretty fast servo, waterproof and its digital which means it will hold the setting better. I run talons on occasion when I run off road and the servo whips the wheels wherever I point them.. Really good servo for that setup.. As for batteries, stick with 2S.. just bashing around its less strain on the vehicle and 3S isn't all that much fun after a while. you spend more time righting the Rustler or fixing it after a high speed crash..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Champion
    i agree with running a 2s. the traxxas 2075 servo is good but yesterday mine took a crap so i bought a savox 1258tg for like 60 bucks and its so much better.

RC Champion
    nothing wrong with bashing with 3s...most people have the ideal that 3s is only made for speed runs but that isn't nowhere near true. at first I used to bash with 2s but it just felt like a nimh with more punch/torque(in which it is) 3s added tons a punch also with top speeds but at the same time you cant gear too high when riding 3s. especially if you live in SoCal like me. because after about 20 minutes of high gearing your motor wil be hot. after I ventured into the 3s department I haven't gon back to 2s since and im pretty sure a lot of others can claim the same. just want you to get the idea that 3s is also bashable

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Dont know if it was a typo, but it is much easier to overgear a 3s than 2s...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    I think what you really need to do, and this is really hard to do, but you need to decide 'what sized tires do I really want to run,' 'how fast do I really want to go' and 'what terrain will I be running on the majority of the time?'

tall or lush grass, tall tires and tall gearing - coupled with heavy trigger fingers are all '3S VXL' killers when trying to bash. If you want something where you can 'let er rip,' think 2S. If you want to bash really hard for a bit, check your motor temps and A either run it some more or B take a forced 10 minute break to let things cool, think 3S. You'll want to make sure you keep a nice wad of cashola in your pocket too with 3S. What kind of durability mods have you done?

RC Racer
    ok so i run the truck withy buddy at his farm o mostly dirt and graval mud nothing crazy ..grass every now and again i want the talons or trenchers cause they look better and befor i broke the seering i loved the way the talons i have on the back bit in i only have them on the back cause i didntknow if putting them on the front would mess up stuff

RC Racer
    I run trenchers and a 3s with no regrets. Yes, it gets hot and I break stuff. But I have a blast. I also use the 2075 servo which works great with the Trenchers.
    Brushless Rustler XL5 - MERV VXL

RC Racer
    Well I have a xl5 rustler and just for fun I put my monster jam wheels on it and it made the truck handle like crap it just seemed like it didn't want to turn like it was getting pushed in a strait line instead of turning but I think it was because the wheel sidewall is so tall because I put 3.8 road rages on it and it turned normal as long as the front wheels were on the ground but the 3.8 were too much for the motor even after I went brushless but the servo had no problem with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk