Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it?

RC Enthusiast

Is it worth it?

Hello gang. I recently put down my RC helis and broke out the old Slash and Stampede. What a blast! They are older FM radio trucks but still champs. Couple weeks ago I couldn't resist picking up a new Pede 4X4 VXL. What a BEAST !!! The trucks an absolute monster! So my question is..... Would I enjoy a 1/10 Summit?
    Are they as durable ? For back-yard running, beach running, rock climbing over river rocks ? I know they are pricey. And big and heavy. Do I have anything to gain in picking up a Summit? Or should I just enjoy the Pede and do upgrades as I get itchy to jazz it up ?

Thanks guys

Paul

RC Qualifier
    Sorry but you're gonna have to get the Summit

No upgrades to the Pede 4x4 will satisfy the Summit craving. Pede 4x4 is one of the greatest bashers made but it's a whole different category. The Summit is big, heavy and makes all sorts of strange noises and goes wherever it wants, it controls you as much as you control it LOL.

The Summit is worth it. Your Pedes and Slash (and most RCs) are made to bash... back and forth jumping etc... The Summit is an adventure RC and not meant to stay in one bash spot, take it with you on a trip and explore, that's what I do with mine.

Edit--- search Traxxas Summit on youtube and see the huge array of diverse running videos... search Stampede 4x4 you get jumps and wheelies.
    Last edited by maxi single; 05-02-2013 at 12:45 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Buy the Summit. Your other vehicles will become trophies. You'll go out to run and it will always be the Summit. Maxi is right you will be miles in on your adventure journey because the Summit will go any where you can go. I have traveled over 5 miles with mine looking for more and more terrain to run it on. In truth they should advertise the Summit as an exercise machine. It will work you out more than you can work it out.

RC Champion
    yep the summit is in a class all of their own... I love mine and take it out whenever i get a chance. The GF had a tmaxx and had to buy her a summit so she would leave mine alone. My 3 year old had a rustler and she always wanted to play with my summit so i bought her a emaxx thinking she would like it and save myself a few $ in the process. Well she likes her maxx but as soon as one of the summits comes out she drops her remote and grabs the summit. So much for saving money eh? o well i sold my Savage XL to buy her the maxx so it did not really cost me anything at the time..hehe. In stock form they are great but it also seems really addicting upgrading them as well

RC Racer
    Granted the summit isn't built for insane speed bashing like other traxxas models but it definitely makes up for it with its ability to go pretty much anywhere. 20 mph doesn't sound fast but when your summit is going full bore it seems a lot faster. not to mention with the summit's weight anything faster could be flat out dangerous :P it's definitely my favorite rc ever.
    crawl-bash-swim. The Summit does it all.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Everyone should own a summit. They are incomparable and nothing else you can buy will ever be anything like it. If you feel like buying a summit youll never be happy until you do. Then once you buy one, youll never be happy without one.

Get the Summit. It's by FAR the best rc thing ever made in IMO. I haven't used my Slash, or Slayer in 2 months because the Summit is so much fun! It's just amazing how easy it is to loose yourself in a 10x10 area of rocks and logs. It's just SO awesome! Read this thread, it might help. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...tting-a-Summit...
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeTeton

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Sectsy Stampede View Post
    Granted the summit isn't built for insane speed bashing like other traxxas models but it definitely makes up for it with its ability to go pretty much anywhere. 20 mph doesn't sound fast but when your summit is going full bore it seems a lot faster. not to mention with the summit's weight anything faster could be flat out dangerous :P it's definitely my favorite rc ever.
    Hehe ya anything faster this size is just insane. With my savage xl that is about same size and weight I was doing speed runs tuning it. My gf and my little happened to step the wrong direction and right into the path of the truck. Did not have time to steer out of it so I just cranked the steering fully to one side causing it to flip hitting her in the leg. She had a bruse the size of the truck on her leg. If I would have hit her strait on at full speed instead of getting it to roll I would have broke her leg for sure. Thankfully she was fast enough to get my little girl up off the ground. Last time I ever did speed runs within 10 feet of anyone including myself.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Hehe ya anything faster this size is just insane. With my savage xl that is about same size and weight I was doing speed runs tuning it. My gf and my little happened to step the wrong direction and right into the path of the truck. Did not have time to steer out of it so I just cranked the steering fully to one side causing it to flip hitting her in the leg. She had a bruse the size of the truck on her leg. If I would have hit her strait on at full speed instead of getting it to roll I would have broke her leg for sure. Thankfully she was fast enough to get my little girl up off the ground. Last time I ever did speed runs within 10 feet of anyone including myself.
    Ouch!!!! I got my son an eMaxx a couple years ago because I got tired of chasing down the Revo or TMaxx. He would run them WAY out there and then roll it and guess who got to run out there, flip it back over and start it again?!?!? Anyway, one of his first runs with his eMaxx he thought it would be funny to drive it through my legs, so he caught me with my back turned towards him and at full speed tried (I emphasis "tried") to drive it between my legs.......do I need to say more.

Then just the other day we had the Summits out, he was bashing and I was crawling, and he ramped a dirt pile I have out back…………let’s just say my body was in the way……more importantly my ankle!!!!
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Qualifier
    I have three words for you........."Get A Summit"!!!! I made myself get the erbe and my son to get his eMaxx out the other day, just to justify keeping them around. And it has been months since the Revo 3.3 has even been started.

Lets just say our first choice is the Summit! Everytime!

RC Qualifier
    I have gotten bored with my summit make sure you have friends who do RCs otherwise it gets boring fast. The summit is a great truck it will do anything you put it up to trust me haha gl mate
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Enthusiast
    You guys are fantastic... Even though this ones gonna cost me $ LOL. But that's pretty much all I wanted to know. I was pretty sure I wanted one of these. It looks so cool. And I just wanted to make sure it is what they advertis it is. And that its reliable. That's a lot of praise in 24 hours ! When I was debating Summit 1/16 or Stampede 4X4 everyone said Pede4 ! And OMG they wwere right. I absolutely love it. But I also want this monster Summit. After reading the first response last night, I put my 1/16 Rally on EBay to help fund this new toy.
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll update when it comes in and post some pics of the beach/causeway/rock area I have across the street...
    Paul

The summit is one of the few traxxas vehicles that really needs nothing to do what its designed to do, very well. Break in the motor, adjust the servos so they arent fighting each other and run it.

The only things I usually suggest are a set of Tbone skid plates (chassis and arms) and lower the body. Everything else is darn good out of the box and neither of those things are mandatory. If you like waterproof, leave the truck pretty much alone. if you dont care about waterproof a single servo conversion is a good first upgrade. My summit is the most stock truck I own and gives me the least amount of trouble. But I use it the way its designed to be used. Trail running and crawling. If you bash it hard youll have issues. Just realize, thats not what its for.

RC Enthusiast
    So I called the 2 most local Hobby Stores, 1/2 hour and hour away. Neither stocks it. The guy at HS1 (who has been in business a long time) mostly RC cars and trucks. Indoor and outdoor race tracks. Said he usually talks people into a better truck for less money. He said the Summits a racer based off the Evo with a few changes (from what I have read, slightly true?) I told him I have a Pede4x4 VXL and he told me the Summits even faster ?? Umm. Is it ? He mentioned Axial which I have read good things about but it doesn't seem like Anything is "LIKE" a Summit. With the ability to go crawling, blasting, sliding. I really think I'm hooked on one of these beasts! Two questions guys.
    1. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of bodies around for the Summit. Not a big deal because I LOVE the Summit truck thing.
    2. What exactly is bashing? Is that slang for racing up hills and bumps at full throttle to get hang time? Because I enjoy blasting around the yard, sand, light brush n twigs sliding, brake hard and slide. Occasionally hit something a little too head on but it's rare and I'm usually slowed down if I see it. And then kinda walk the throttle of my Pede to climb it.

Thanks for all the help

RC Qualifier
    1. There are quite a few bodies that fit the Summit, check out the Monster truck category of your favorite aftermarket body manufacture. The styles are mostly pickups, some muscle cars, jeeps, and a baja bug.

2. Bashing, there's no official definition... it's generally regarded as anything that is not racing. Running a RC like u described is bashing, no rules, do whatever you want, freestyle

Your hobby shop guy is like most of them. Completely ignorant when it comes to Traxxas vehicles.

The summit is NOT based on an Axial in ANY way. I'm pretty sure the summit came first. I'm %100 sure the Revo came first and it was the general beginning of the eventual summit design.
    The summit does about 19mph in stock form in high gear. It is not meant to be fast and is MUCH slower than your pede 4x4. It's meant to run trails and crawl rocks and gnarly terrain. It does this best in low gear... So very slow. I promise you, NOTHING is like a summit, nor is the summit truly "like"'anything else. It's closest relative is the E-revo but without the low gear, locking diffs, HUGE tires and summit attitude, it's just plain different.

There is no definition for bashing. It is whatever you want it to be. Generally it refers to most types of running that aren't on a track. You can bash on the street or in the woods or in the sand. If you set up a track, your racing. Bashing with a summit is different than any other truck. It's slower, more deliberate with a few bursts of speed here and there. You CAN bash it like a brushed revo if you want... But if you want to do that, get a brushed revo.

Your LHS guy is probably very knowledable about all other brands. Many are. But few LHS guys are truly well versed in Traxxas stuff. Don't be led astray... Come here for your Traxxas info. We know what we're talking about.

RC Racer
    I never thought I would love a slow RC til I own a Summit.

RC Champion
    love thy summit my summit dont get alot of use, but when i use it, it is amazing every time.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Racer
    Summit, hands down one of the most dominate rc. With that said I suggest you to buy a Summit you wont regret it.
    ^^Summit Kawasaki Edition and E-revo VXL^^

Quote Originally Posted by boston2612 View Post
    I have gotten bored with my summit make sure you have friends who do RCs otherwise it gets boring fast. The summit is a great truck it will do anything you put it up to trust me haha gl mate
    In all fairness, you entered the Summit world with the thought of changing an awful lot about it. You were given a lot of good advice regarding it which went largely unheeded.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMaxPro View Post
    I never thought I would love a slow RC til I own a Summit.
    Preach on, brotha. My ERBE was my dream RC (I waited a long time for one to be conceived, designed, and built) but my Summit now gets the vast share of my driving time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcaola View Post
    So I called the 2 most local Hobby Stores, 1/2 hour and hour away. Neither stocks it. The guy at HS1 (who has been in business a long time) mostly RC cars and trucks. Indoor and outdoor race tracks. Said he usually talks people into a better truck for less money. Loose translation, "Let me sell you what I have in stock." He said the Summits a racer based off the E-Revo TRUE! with a few changes (from what I have read, slightly true?) A few very important changes. I think I'm missing where all the other manufacturers are modifying their rigs to have remotely-selectable locking diffs and two speed transmissions. I told him I have a Pede4x4 VXL and he told me the Summits even faster ?? Umm. Is it? Right there, he's lost. It's impossible for him to give good direction if he doesn't know the product, eh? Better to just be quiet...except he's trying to make a sale. He mentioned Axial which I have read good things about but it doesn't seem like Anything is "LIKE" a Summit. Can't and won't bash Axial here, but none will ever be what a Summit is, and vice versa. Suggestion: research how many (hundreds of) dollars some owners say it for many Axials to be decent on the trails With the ability to go crawling, blasting, sliding. I really think I'm hooked on one of these beasts! Two questions guys.
    1. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of bodies around for the Summit. Not a big deal because I LOVE the Summit truck thing. Most of the bodies for the Revo/E-Revo/Maxx/Savage will work. Proline's new Desert Militia shell is shown modeled on a Summit! (A little trivia for ya there.)
    2. What exactly is bashing? Is that slang for racing up hills and bumps at full throttle to get hang time? Because I enjoy blasting around the yard, sand, light brush n twigs sliding, brake hard and slide. Occasionally hit something a little too head on but it's rare and I'm usually slowed down if I see it. And then kinda walk the throttle of my Pede to climb it. Whatever your definition of "bashing" is, it changes with the Summit. Think of a Nascar race in which the cars could ride the outer fence: that would be a game changer, right? Anytime you add as much of a third dimension to a vehicles capabilities as is possible with a Summit, that requires rethinking and redefinition. Even the simple definition of "turning radius" changes with a Summit. I used to think it had a very large turning radius but when you realize that the 8" high rock isn't really in your may because you'll just roll your tires over it, you gotta giggle a little (quietly to yourself, of course) and remember you don't have to fit between things any more.

Thanks for all the help
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-03-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    You guys have been great! From reading and reading and forums. I figured the Summit was a bit slower than my Pede. But honestly, my Pede, full throttle is across the yard in less than 2 seconds. Across the street at the beach, I can run across it in 5 seconds. And in 5 seconds I can't exactly see it so well LOL (getting old is no fun ). I love the Pede BUT I think once I get a Summit, it will be All Summit LOL. It's pretty much, exactly what I want to do with a truck. As for Traxxas products. The only vehicle I ever had problems with was an older E-Max. It's long gone but my older FM Slash and Pede run like champs. I recently had to fix a broken Turnbuckle on the old Pede from my 10 year old ramming few too many obstacles. (In training mode) (which is another Traxxas plus). Replacing the turnbuckles with aluminum ones was cake.
    I'm no longer thinking IF I want the Summit. I do want it... And darn it! I want it NOW! But alas I will wait till my PayPal hits the perfect number. Have auctions running now.
    The only thing left to decide?? What Color!! LOL. I'm down to the Green, Yellow or White. I already have plenty of blacks and blues and reds. Looks good in red though !!

Thanks guys....I'll be back with updates.

Paul
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-03-2013 at 08:41 AM.

RC Champion
    GO GREEN, im a green freak, lol.
    i have the green 17mm hexes also. hopefully someday traxxas would come out with green aluminum tie rods/links the same color as the green hexes. that would be sweet. peace
    Last edited by ajcar; 05-03-2013 at 08:37 AM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

Get a green one. By far green is the best. Oh, I thought I'd mention this... There is one thing we all take for granted on our Summits... The LIGHTS!!! I was out driving my Summit yesterday, and it got dark. But wait, ha ha I have lights! It was so cool driving around at night with the lights! Granted, I have the LED roof rack light bar, but either way the lights are AWESOME!
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeTeton

They dont make the white or yellow ones anymore. The only NEW ones you can get are the red/blue/green with the graphic paint scheme. The solid colors are out of production. However, you CAN buy a clear summit body (no exo cage or fenders) and paint it however you like, solid white or yellow included.

IMO... the best color still remains solid yellow... but since they are no longer availiable, green is the next best choice. They crawl better and are slightly faster at top speed (this is a running joke in the summit forum from way back, in truth, they are all the same save for color).

RC Qualifier
    The only thing left to decide?? What Color!! LOL. I'm down to the Green, Yellow or White.
    FYI.......If you’re looking at a solid colored body (Blue, Yellow, Red or White) these are from a slightly older model.......unless you painted a clear body solid. However, the trucks have changed very little; mainly in the ESC and RX and waterproof servo’s.

I have a LHS 15 minutes from my house and I order almost everything. I would suggest do what you’re doing…….research on the web, talk to friends and use this forum!!!!! Figure out what you want and “order” it.

I live in Arkansas but have but have bought 8 trucks and tons of parts from an online/brick & mortar store in FL. Now that I’m thinking about it I should own a piece of that store by now. LOL!!!! No sales tax and free shipping…..why not?

RC Qualifier
    Pave you are a much faster typer than I am.......I'm sure there are a few other things that you're better at too but I'll let you do your own bragging. LOL!!!

Haha... we were the "typing twilight zone"

RC Qualifier
    I looked at buying an Axial Wraith and a more expensive crawler. I was able to test drive both and they did ok in the rocks. I kept wanting my summit which would just bounce over these rocks the the Wraith and crawler were struggling with. Then like always there is an open area and I wanted to bash and these are very specialized and did not have a high gear. So im going like 4 mph and it was boring. I then ran my summit and it really is in a class by itself. It rock crawls like crazy and boom unlock the diffs, pop into high gear and 19 mph in the open fields was all I could handle. I own all four colors avail and the Red and black look very much the same. The blue is a very nice color my favorite, but the green has an attitude about it. There are multiple bodies avail I'm doing a 73 ford Bronco from Proline. One thing to remember is the stock bodies have the exo cage to protect it and it really has worked well. I think my Bronco body will be for show and I'll flip the stock body on when I run. You can also get the different colored bodies and wheel trim and change the color of your Summit when ever you want.

I run my Summits with my grand kids and I had no idea how well a 6 year old can run the Summits. My Slash and Emaxx just sit now. I was always having to get them unstuck or they just cant follow the Summit. We take off and can travel miles, the summit can pretty much go where you can go. It will work you out more than you can work it out. I think Traxxas should advertise the Summit as an exercise machine. You wont believe the mountains and valleys, beaches, river beds, open fields etc that you will cover with the Summit. In some ways its better than having a good dog. It will change how you run your R/C. You wont just be looking for a track or field to run in. You'll be looking at national parks and 5 mile long trails. Welcome to the world of Summitville.

Or the 73 with a cage
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    You guys are great ! I knew I liked the green for a reason! Knowing that they are just a little bit faster makes it worth it

I kinda like the bodies with just the solid color. I see a few run through Ebay so ill keep my eye out.
    Showed my GF a few videos of the Summit in action. "That's pretty...I like that" .... Well that sounds like one more reason to get one! I watched some axial videos today too. Looks like a fun crawler but what would I do when I clear the rocks, water, logs and stumps? "Carry it across the field to save time? That's when you get to blast it, kick up some sand! Seems like these things really are a "one of a kind" ....ANOTHER reason I have to have one. ONE? Well.........maybe two. 1 to run and 1 to tinker with .

Found a LHS that has an online product catalog and its showing Summit 1/10 in stock !! Sooo tomorrow I'm calling them. Hope to have one in hand tomorrow. If they don't, I'll order one.
    You guys have been GREAT... I'll be back!
    Paul

RC Qualifier
    If you get 2 you'll want 4 and then 6 will be where you end up. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

RC Enthusiast
    Found 1!! 30 minute ride....the store is open till 6PM. It's 3:15 now..... Debit card is good! It's Blue.... BUT. I can always make it "Go Fast Green" or paint one white with Bright Yellow stripe, light bar. A mini, scale, Monster Rescue truck to match my stations color theme. I'll be back in a few hours !!!!
    Is this kinda of excitement over a RC truck ridiculous in a 42 year old adult? I really don't care !! LOL

Paul

Found 1!! 30 minute ride....the store is open till 6PM. It's 3:15 now..... Debit card is good! It's Blue.... BUT. I can always make it "Go Fast Green" or paint one white with Bright Yellow stripe, light bar. A mini, scale, Monster Rescue truck to match my stations color theme. I'll be back in a few hours !!!!
    Is this kinda of excitement over a RC truck ridiculous in a 42 year old adult? I really don't care !! LOL

Paul
    You have to ask that question here? These guys make beauty pageant true believers seem like a rational bunch.
    Or put another way, "Hello, Pot? This is Kettle."
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

No it's not.....I hope lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Enjoy it! Looking forward to pics! I love my green Summit but sometimes I wish I had the blue so all the accent pieces on the truck matched...

RC Qualifier
    Is this kinda of excitement over a RC truck ridiculous in a 42 year old adult?
    For the Summit this level of enthusiasm is expected, but if it were for a Bandit

RC Qualifier
    So did you get it. I wanted to hear from another grown adult who has the ridiculous excitement factor. Wait till you find all the fun stuff to do with it and the mods you can make. The Ridiculous Excitement factor (REF for short) doesn't go away.

RC Qualifier
    Bye bye, he gone and went down the rabbit hole with Summit

RC Enthusiast
    Ohhhh BOY... Look who's back ! I took the ride to the LHS and picked up the only summit they had there, in Blue. Got home, took it out of the box and yeah....it's BIG. Dropped in two 3000mah packs from the other cars all charged up. Read a few basics on the transmission and diffs and drove her across the street to the beach, causeway, spillway. All sand, rocks, dirt, slopes, hills, mud, seaweed, and brush. It drives like a champ.. I go onto the rocks in low and start crawling along. It's just eating it up. Almost like the **** truck has an attitude. After a few minutes I finally was able to get it jammed on a few rocks and had it spinning wheels. No traction. (Could have goosed the throttle a few times to try and hop out of it but ). Locked in the diffs and went back to throttle a little and this truck just kinda stood up a little taller and kinda reached the tires out a little farther and climbed right off the rocks and into more rocks and kept on crawling. Unbelievable. I wasn't sure if the diffs would be a noticeable difference and it sure did "show me" who's boss !
    This truck is a MONSTER and I love it! The 4 kids fishing at the spillway were all googlly eyed and gasping. I heard a "Is it fast" I said kinda.... Kicked it into High and blasted down the dirt causeway about 80-100 yards. Blasted back and did a few 360, dirt throwing spins.....and the Crowd Goes Wild !!! ( Cheers and Claps ).
    I ran it again last night and again today. Today I played in the water, the shallows and mud a little.

The truck is plain awesome. Is it worth it ? To me it is. Should it cost $680 ?? I dunno... I figure there's a chunk of profit in the thing but I never argue with price if the quality is good.....and it is very good !

Thanks guys..pics tomorrow when I get to work

Paul

RC Competitor
    Were you running it on LiPo's? I have to 8200 Mah LiPo's and I can run it for 2 hours, that is one of my favorite things about it, it just keeps going and going and going......